“Excellent hotel with amazing views and atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

You added Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort to your Saves list
Expedia.com Booking.com
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   North Coast | PO Box 3425, Nungwi, Tanzania   |
Ranked #9 of 17 hotels in Nungwi
“Excellent hotel with amazing views and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was very nice. The rooms had a great view and the food was good. The restaurant did have a lot of flies in which at times bothered you during your meal.

The all inclusive was great although alcoholic drinks were limited to local spirits and beers only. The cocktails were not fresh juice but sachets for flavours and not very nice.

The rooms were amazing with bathrooms that were just as amazing with a double bath.

Would recommend!

• Stayed August 2012
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review of the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed the rooms and the food so much and will happily pass on that information to our staff.

I hope that you will accept my apologies for the flies. We continue to work with a local exterminator to keep them to a minimum, unfortunately that is not always an easy task.

I notice that you stayed with us last August and am pleased to report that we are no longer using the sachets that you commented on from that time. We use fresh fruit and fresh juices now with much happier results for our guests.

Thank you once again for choosing the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

571 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great location, beautiful beach, stunning sea, large rooms with huge balconies that have great views. Four lovely pools and lots of space. Shame then about two points - firstly the food - it's an all inclusive resort and the food smacks of package tourist quality - poor!. Secondly, the beach boys who hassle you big time as you walk the few paces into the sea. At other places I've stayed they are able to keep the beach boys away from the hotel and surely they could here.
Having made these points, I would still go back because the location and sea are so good!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the beach
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review of the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

We're delighted to hear that you so enjoyed the structure of the resort. We agree that the location and the views are beautiful and it's great to hear that our guests enjoy them, along with the pools and the space.

It makes it that much harder to hear that you were disappointed with the food. Our Food & Beverage team works hard every day to provide a wide range of foods prepared in different styles and with different methods of cooking. I assure you that we take these comments to heart and continue to strive for improvements.

Unfortunately the beach boys are a very different concern. By law, all beaches in Zanzibar are public and we are not allowed to remove them from the area. We do understand the frustration our guests feel and try to meet with them to tone down their behaviour, however our hands are tied for taking it any further. We did have a success last week when we felt that one of them had gone too far with the aggression for the second time. We asked the new Tourism Police to assist and after an investigation, they agreed and banned him from our beach. It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction and one we hope we can continue to build on.

Thank you once again for choosing the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi! We are honoured that you would visit again and hope that we will soon have a chance to welcome you back.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Spent about 8 nights at the Royal Zanzibar and it was a wonderful experience on ALL levels! It's the kind of place you go to when you really do want a true escape from the world. The beach is stunning: in pristine condition with some of the clearest and warmest water I've ever experienced. After traveling all the way from Los Angeles, I was worried about being disappointed with either the beach or the hotel. I found both exceeded expectation.
A concern I had before traveling to such a remote location was safety. Upon arrival you feel incredibly safe and looked-after, and you always sense the protective presence of the Masai guards wearing their red sarongs as they patrol the entire property day and night. Safety is not a concern whatsoever.
As for staff, they could not have done more to look after their guests. I travel extensively and have not experienced a staff who are more attentive to their guests. Any concern or issue - big or small - was dealt with immediately. For example, I realized I forgot the changer for my Kindle and Ritesh, the wonderful IT Director figured out a way I could charge my Kindle with a Blackberry cord he had. I forgot my sunglasses and Kim, the general manager of the entire property, loaned me HERS. They even host a weekly cocktail party with the heads of the various departments so guests have an opportunity to bring up any concerns/feedback in a relaxed environment. When I read other reviews about this hotel and they express that they didn't feel the staff was "responsive" I have to wonder if they ever clearly expressed their concerns in the first place. I travel 100,000+ miles a year and I expect a certain level of service from hotels and I can honestly say that over the eight days I was there, there was nothing they weren't willing to do - big and small - to improve on the experience for their guests.
As for food, I'm always a little concerned about "all-inclusive" hotels. I can say that not only was the quality of the food was amazing overall, but also the variety. There are two restaurants with an insane number of choices (it's worth noting that because of the high volume of Italian tourists, the Italian pasta/pizza are as good as anything I've had in Italy). But it's not about just the two restaurants - multiple times during our stay, the staff would arrange these very creative food "experiences": for example, a BBQ on the beach with very fresh seafood or a "Masai Market" with food stands set up along a pathway along with vendors selling handicrafts. I was constantly impressed by the resourcefulness of the staff. And rest assured, for an all-inclusive, they never skimped on drinks - either in quality, quantity or selection
Finally, the property is truly huge. There are paths, and pools and little seating areas all over. We stayed during full occupancy and always could find a nice chunk of space to be completely on our own.
Things that weren't so great: it's a very remote part of an island off the coast of Africa so you're going to have bugs in the rooms. It's just a natural byproduct of the location. The beds have netting and rooms have strong bug-spray, so it's not a major problem.
Also, a lot of the Italian tourists travel in groups and have a small "animation team" that leads group activities for them all day. One doesn't ever feel obligated to participate, but sometimes you get the passing feeling that you're on a cruise ship. That being said, the property is SO massive you can always find a quiet place to relax and read that is far away from the water aerobics class taking place in one of the swimming pools.
All in all, I would ABSOLUTELY stay again. Kim Bird and her staff (especially Ritesh) made our trip. It's a wonderfully-run hotel and worth the 11,000 mile trip!

Room Tip: The A-block of rooms are the closet to the beach. Fantastic views!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear alwaysonaplaneLA,

We can't thank you enough for your lovely review of the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

What a pleasure to hear that you had enjoyed your stay with us so much and Ritesh was particularly proud of his first mention in Trip Advisor! I also thanked the Masai guards for their efforts in making your stay so positive. Of course, I shared the review with the entire team, as I always do, but in this case, it was also particularly to thank our Food and Beverage team for their ongoing efforts with our "event nights".

We really have tried to create a restful and relaxing environment for our guests, one where they don't have to worry about a thing for the length of their stay. I'm delighted to hear that other than having to join in our ongoing battle with the little insects and running across the occasional "cruise ship" environment, you found exactly that.

Thank you once again for choosing the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

The hotel has an impressive entrance, enthusiastic staff, good food and surely one of the most beautiful beaches in the world! Unfortunately having just returned from a 5 night stay we came away feeling disappointed that guests concerns are not addressed. On day one we reported at the front desk that the plugs in our sinks would not stay depressed so there was no way to retain water in them, we also asked for some coffee sachets for the room. Both of these requests were not responded to during our stay. Whilst the food was varied and tasty the wine was of a poor quality, especially the white. I note from a previous reviewer that the manager was looking into this but as yet this hasn't been done, or the previous wine was worse! Another annoyance to us (and again in a previous response the manager said she had dealt with this) were the large number of people who bagged their favourite sun lounger the night before by putting out the same towels they'd used during the previous day. Worse still some couples had 2 loungers in the sun and 2 in the shade! We found this sort of behaviour very irritating. It could be so much better ..........

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Annette,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

We're so pleased that you enjoyed some of the things about the resort and so unhappy that other things damaged your vacation for you. We truly strive to ensure that all of our guests enjoy their stay and in this case we have obviously failed you. For that I hope that you will accept my sincere apologies.

There is simply no excuse for the stoppers in your bathroom not being fixed or the coffee sachets not being replaced. Not only is there a system in place at the Reception desk to ensure that guest concerns that are reported to them are completed and followed up, but housekeeping should also have been addressing both of these concerns every day when they cleaned and replenished the room. We have revamped the worksheet at the Reception so that we can now see that guest concerns have been answered and the report is also sent to all department heads daily so that they can keep an eye on things that affect their areas. Housekeeping has been reminded of their responsibility to check on the workings of the room and to replenish as necessary.

Unfortunately we are limited on the selection of wines available. We have tried a number of different options, but this one seems to be the most satisfactory for the majority of our guests on the all-inclusive option. I'm sorry that it wasn't to your taste.

The situation with the beach beds is a little more complicated. In the post you read, I had addressed the issue that we had a staff member who was accepting payment from guests to stake out beach beds for them early in the morning. That practice is not tolerated and he is no longer employed with us. We have not addressed guests who choose to get up early and reserve beds as it is impossible to know where to draw the line. They are not reserving the chairs the night before as any remaining towels are removed about an hour after sunset. What they are doing is getting up early to go and place their towels on the beds. As we have such a large number of beach beds that there are always beds available, we are not prepared to determine how our guests go about choosing their location and holding their beds. I am disappointed to hear that there were guests that were selfishly holding two sets of beds and had you brought that to our attention I would have been happy to have a quiet word with the guests involved. Having too many people do that could compromise our ability to provide beach beds for all of our guests.

Southampton UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

This hotel in Zanzibar is luxurious and spacious with 4 beautiful swimming pools which are kept clean and sparkling. The rooms are huge with lovely furniture, en suite bathroom with a double bath & a big shower. Ours overlooked the sea and pools. The food is good with great variety, buffet style. The staff can't do enough for you. They are so polite & friendly! The general manager is Kim Bird, a nicer, more helpful person you couldn't meet. We had a lovely beach dinner with candlelight, fabulous food plus a live band. Another night they put the tables on the lawn, great buffet and dancing by the Maasai warriors & much more.
The only downside is the long drive from the airport - about 1:40 minutes on poor road. Otherwise I thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review of the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

We are so proud of our friendly staff and it's always a pleasure to be able to share such positive comments with them. The Chef and his team were happy to know that you had enjoyed the food and the Food and Beverage team was also delighted to be complimented on their special evenings in the garden and on the beach. We love these events and it's so nice to hear that our guests enjoy them as well. As for me, I'm a little embarrassed to be mentioned so prominently, but I'm also thrilled that you had such a good time and appreciate very much your recommendation of the resort to our potential guests.

We were sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the drive. We know that it's a long way to come, particularly if you've already had a long flight, we're just glad that once you're here, you can relax and enjoy.

Thank you once again for choosing the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

The Royal Zanzibar has everything you can ask for in order to have a perfect holiday. From the moment we arrived the staff made us feel welcome, the surroundings left us in awe and the food gave us utter satisfaction (and a few extra inches around the waist!) We (my daughter and I) stayed here for a total of 9 nights, during New Year 2012-2013.
First and foremost, the overall atmosphere of this resort is lovely. The staff is extremely friendly and always eager to help and serve you in the best possible way. Thank you so much to Marguerite who always greeted us with a wonderful smile and made sure we had our preferred table at the restaurant. And Rajab for giving us Swahili lessons at every meal, making sure we learned a new phrase each day! Our praise goes out to the ever-smiling bar staff, always remembering what drinks we prefer and never too stressed to have a chat by the bar. The beach staff and animation team were such an added bonus to our holiday. From beach walks, to cooking classes and evening entertainment- they truly are a great part of the resort! Well done Andrea, Giulia and Matteo for always spreading energy and good vibes to all the guests.
The resort itself is beautiful. Never crowded and somehow all the guests find a spot for themselves without disturbing each other. Beach front lounges enough for everyone to admire the sea view and enjoy one of the most beautiful beaches we ever laid eyes on. The rooms are so spacious and well designed, not to mention the enormous bathroom!

We have never been fans of all-inclusive buffet style resorts, but at this hotel the food is of excellent quality. Never any queues and always different themes and styles every evening. Franco´s pasta and the fresh pizza was a pleasant surprise and a good compliment to the local dishes on offer. During our stay, we never had the same meal twice! Extra shout-out for New Year’s night, African evening with Masai market and the beach dinner.

We can´t wait to go back and would definitely recommend everyone who wants to experience and enjoy Zanzibar in the best way possible to stay here. Thank you everyone at the Royal Zanzibar and congratulations to Kim for running a success!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Katia,

Thank you so much for your really wonderful review of the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

It was such a pleasure to have you and your daughter staying with us and we're thrilled that you both enjoyed your visit so much. We have passed on your positive remarks to Margret and Rajab and of course to Andrea, Giulia and Matteo. Chef was also delighted to hear that you had enjoyed the meals although he sends his apologies for the extra inches.

One of my favorite things about the resort is how spacious it is. I love that guests can always find somewhere quiet to enjoy themselves if that's what they wish and I'm glad that you liked that too.

Thank you once again for choosing the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, we appreciate your wonderful recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife and five kids and I had the most fabulous time at the hotel over the New Year (2012/13). We were fortunate with the weather having unalloyed sunshine for the 7 days of our stay but that was massively augmented by the quality of the hotel. The setting of the hotel was first class- a feeling of space, tied to being so close to the beautiful beech, with the white sand and turquoise sea, made for the most idyllic scene. The staff were brilliant and the food was first class- I am not a big fan of buffet eating but the quality of the food more than made up for that concern.

All in all we totally recommend the hotel. We are a family that has travelled all around the world and we all agreed that this hotel is in our trip three places we have ever been to.

As a footnote- on returning home I went with my son to watch 'The Impossible'. I am only glad we did not go before the holiday. The idyllic setting in the film before the tsunami struck was simply too resonant of the hotel- I would have been having nightmares every night. I would not recommend that the hotel to get the film to show to its guests.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Kim B, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

We were thrilled to hear that you and your family had so enjoyed your stay over the New Year. Chef was particularly happy to know that someone who doesn't normally enjoy buffets was pleased with the food on offer! We are fortunate to have such a beautiful property to welcome our guests to and we're glad that you loved that, but we appreciate even more your positive comments about the staff. It's such a pleasure to be able to tell them what an impact they had on your stay.

I have duly noted your concern about "The Impossible" and will do everything I can to ensure it is not showing on our TV's. The very last thing I want to provide our guests is nightmares! As access to new movies is pretty limited here, thank you for the "head's up"!

Once again, we thank you for choosing the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort

Been to Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!