We stayed at the resort for 7 days from 01- - 6 Oct after a weeks Safari in the Mara. First impressions of the resort is excellent, we were met at the airport and had a nice drive to the hotel where reception greeted us with a nice coconut drink. The staff gave a full brief on hotel facilities and we were escorted to our lovely clean bedroom. The staff member explained all facilities as we walked to the room. The bedrooms are huge and the bathrooms are excellent with all facilities. There are coffee and tea making facilities in the room, but after the first two nights this ran out and despite asking for a replen at reception we did not get any more supplies until the last day, which was disappointing. We always carry our own so had enough to cater for our needs but one would have hoped after asking reception it would have been sorted.
The pools and beech are very good and very empty. We have never been to a resort where you had so much spare space to enjoy the water. the beech boys are present like other resorts but they were very polite and did not bother you unless you wanted to talk to them. We arranged a lovely trip to an Island for snorkling with one of them for $30.
The food in the Spices restaurant is typical buffet spread but you would never go hungry. Alex supplied a good selection to cover all tastes. The only down side was there was never any ice cream. Theme nights around the complex are also catered for and are well advertised at the dining room entrance each morning. These theme nights also have entertainment on but unfortunately this is not advertised and if you leave dinner early you miss the entertainment.
The food at the coco bar is equally as good and we found eating lunch there made a nice change.
The only thing that spoils the food is the out dated smoking policy. We had to move twice during our meals due to inconsiderate customers smoking during courses on the dining veranda. I can put up with smoke in a bar but smoking during meal sittings should be banned.
The dining room does suffer with a lack of salt and pepper pots etc on the tables. You had to collect cruet sets from other tables if you wanted them. The staff did move it sometimes but only on request. A 5 star-dining facility should have these available on all tables.
The bars serve lovely cocktails and it was always pleasant sipping a cocktail at sunset, the only problem is that there is a shortage of cocktail glasses and cocktails were regulary served in a beer tumbler. This was reluctantly rectified when I complained but but it should never happen. You pride yourself on your cocktails now procure the glasses to show them off
The biggest problem I see in the resort in where the beech staff place towels on set "Special Guest" sunbeds early in the morning. This resulted in no towels being available until a second delivery had arrived. When I asked if I could take one of the towels from an empty bed I was quoted they were for special guests who always like to use that bed. One day 10 beds were reserved for a large family that had gone of on a day trip, this meant that some guests had to find beds away from the beech / pool area. This is like being in Spain in the 1980's. I did comment that I would speak to management and was then immediately issued with two towels.
The staff are very friendly but do tend to forget drink orders in the spice restaurant, in the Coco bar they have pads to write down orders and it never happens there which may be a hint for the spice dining room.
Overall we had a lovely peaceful time in the hotel. It is a nice place to stay and yes there are some negative comments above that could easily be rectified if management walked around and sat / ate where the customers did and not in secluded staff areas. (Mystery Customers come to mind) to see what staff are doing on a day to day basis.
I would recommend the resort and some of the points above are small but I work in the business and carry out inspections on establishments regularly which does give me a slight edge on what to look for and expect.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Zanzibar Beach Hotel Nungwi
- Royal Zanzibar Beach Hotel
- Seaclub Royal Zanzibar Beach Hotel
- Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort Nungwi
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A spectacular view of the Indian Ocean from almost anywhere on the resort makes this all-inclusive property a wonderful choice for those guests looking for a peaceful and relaxing vacation. Fantastic swimming pools, a beautiful beach with clear, turquoise waters and amazing sunsets just add to the ambiance! The rooms are large, approximately 80 square metres for Superior Rooms and 100 square metres for Suites. A spacious bathroom with a double bathtub, separate shower and double sinks provide luxurious comfort. All rooms include a quiet split-unit air conditioner, TV, fridge, coffee and tea making facilities, a safe and a terrace from which to enjoy the view. The warm, friendly staff invite you to enjoy meals in the buffet restaurant with a varied selection of local and international dishes or a traditional pizza oven near the beach offers a quick snack while you relax by the pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.