“The best hotel in Zanzibar - Gets better everytime!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Honeymoon couples
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
London
“The best hotel in Zanzibar - Gets better everytime!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

I must say that having stayed at the Z hotel before and really liking the hotel, I was looking forward to this trip with my family. The hotel and the service did not disappoint. It is a great location and the views of the sea are amazing. Our guest rooms were of the highest standard and had all the modern amenities. I would put them on par with any 5 star boutique hotel I have stayed at. My wife and son enjoyed the relaxing time on the beach as well as a great boat trip organised by the hotel. The restaurant is the best al fresco dining I have exeperienced. It overlooks the sea and just so relaxing. The food was faultless. They were very accommodating to my young son. The General Manager, who has recently joined from a hotel in London made a point of coming to our table and asking us how our stay was. He gave us some tips about the island and was just very genuine in his hospitality. Unusually, he was very visible around the hotel. Even on our check out, he was there to wish us a good trip home. My wife had left her shoes in our room and before we were back home, he had personally emailed me to ask for a forwarding address. Now that is what I call knowing your guests and going the extra mile. If you are looking for the best hotel in Zanzibar, then the Z hotel is it. If you are looking for one of best GM's, they have him. I would recommend the island and the hotel to anyone who is a little more discerning and doesn't follow the beaten path. The second time round was better than the first. The service and welcome was just more personal. By the way if you do stay at the Z hotel, always ask for the GM - Mr. Hafeez. No doubt you will probably bump into him when you first arrive but do search him out. He made our stay special.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

I have stayed at Z Hotel with friends between 2-5 June, 2009. They had just opened the for the new season on June 1. The room is nicely decorated. There is even an ipod speaker and two separate LCD screens over the beds. There is a nice balcony of each room. However when we had arrived there was no hot water in the room to take a shower. It took almost an hour to fix it. Yet the water had an odour as if there was a leakage of sewer. Anyway we decided to go to the restaurant while they change our room. The restaurant is right in front of the beach with a charming sea view and elegant decoration. The food and cocktails were absolutely amazing. I strongly recommend everyone to try all the starters, specially the hot Mediterranean salad which comes with seafood, as well as the hot prawns. The amazing quality of the food made us forgot the entire problem. Moreover, Mr. Hafiz, the manager of the hotel, offered us our first drinks as an apology. All the staff is incredibly friendly and they are happy to help you all the times. The beach of the hotel is nice, may be not so nice as Kendwa but because it is the midway between Nungwi and Kendwa it just takes you 20 minutes to walk either way during low tide.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

I popped over to Zanzibar from the mainland for a few days after a fellow expat recommended it to me and I absolutely loved the Z Hotel. The setting was perfect, our room looked out accross the ocean with the sun setting on the horizon. The website claimed it was the best spot on the island to view the sunset and I am sure they are right. A couple of other points to mention are the infinity swimming pool which also looks out accross the ocean. There is a pool bar which serves you food and drinks to you at your sun loungers and the staff are really attentive and friendly without being 'there' every time you turn around. Finally, there are some relaly nice touches in the rooms with iPod stations, plasma TVs (which hang from the bed frame so you can watch TV in bed - NICE) and Wifi - which can be a bit erratic but is still very convenient.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
Barnes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

My friend and I went having dreamed of Zanzibar for half our lives --- and suddenly the dream came true! The Z Hotel is blessed with the perfect location, overlooking an idyllic beach that was rated No. 4 in the world by a British newspaper, and but it certainly makes the most of the view. There is a heavenly pool and two restaurants almost literally lapped by the ocean. And the staff were so friendly --- and incredibly resourceful in a crisis of our own making (but that's another story). This is the sort of place where even the manager spares time to ask how things are going --- a very special place. I'd recommend it to romantics. But I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

I must say, it wasn't absolutely fantastic to be there if you're looking for a more loud and adventurous vacation. It was just right for as us as family. We didn't do much, except appreciate the sunset and the serenity of the place. There were beachboys harassing us to book for some watersports, and sellers hawking the beach area. The hotel itself was fantastic, almost newly built when we went there. It's a hotel with a very homey atmosphere.The restaurant was great, food was nice, as well as the staff and the service provided.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

we were able to do either at Z. Zanzibar in general is a schizophrenic place. you can either pay thru the nose for super-luxury (which misses the point in going to Africa, IMHO) or pay peanuts and get some "interesting" toilets.

Z was the perfect medium ground. Great hotel, great furnishings/bed/etc., And it was right on the beach and we were able to just experience the island without being trapped inside a big resort. Great bar, too.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

If your looking to get away from it all and forget about the rest of the world, then the Z hotel is the place for you. Waking up looking over the idillic location across the ocean at Nungwi couldn't be more perfect. This is my third visit to Zanzibar and my second stay at the Z hotel and I will go back again. This trip I stayed in one of the beach cottages which are just stunning. The interiors combine modern amenities with the local Zanzibar style. The coconut wood furniture mixed with the Philip Stark modern touches work perfectly. The staff could not have been more friendly and made me feel at home and like I was the queen of the island. I couldn't have wished for a more perfect stay. My only comment would be that you have to embrace the slow pace of island life. The restaraunt Sarush is absolutely wonderful. The food is amazing and Zanzibar is a million miles away from the fast and hectic lifestyle of London so things don't always happen immediately. I would highly recommend the Z hotel to any traveller venturing out to Tanzania if they want to treat themselves to something extra special. Definitely one to put on the list.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Z Hotel Zanzibar? Share your experiences!