“Gorgeous Hotel - Doesnt' disappoint” 4 of 5 stars

The Z Hotel Zanzibar
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   PO Box 4807, Nungwi, Tanzania   |
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
Doha,
“Gorgeous Hotel - Doesnt' disappoint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel is exactly what you expect. It was an amazing way to end our safari. The infinity pool looking out to the ocean is breathtaking. The service is great and there is a great choice of different areas within the hotel, depending on what you want to do. Free wifi is a bonus. Food is delish.
The only reason I didn't give this 5 stars is because of the beach, it can use a clean up. It wasn't all that inviting and not as gorgeous once you are walking into it. No real complaints since the pool was fantastic. Side note: I think me and my friend were the only non-couple at the hotel, so if you are going with a friend, be prepared for an air of romance surrounding you.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed at the Z hotel for 3 nights, and it met more than our expectations. It is a little expensive, but I thought the price was comparable considering the location and amenities hotel. It is the perfect size, just big enough for you to feel like you're in a small resort. The staff was really nice, epecially after you saw them multiple times in a couple of days. The room decor was perfect for us, contemporary and modern, with a balcony which we loved. There were enough chairs available which had a nice view by the pool, and also 2 canopy beds where you can be privately and read/sleep/or even watch tv! The buffer breakfast was good, but the food off the menu at the restaurants was just ok.

Each morning, it was so gorgeous to wake up to the bright blue waters. The hotel is located on a side of the island where I guess it's pretty common to get that view from other hotels as well. However, from what we heard/saw, not everyone had a beach area to lay out in, which this hotel did seem to have. Sure there are a lot of vendor boys out there, but I noticed they did not approach you if you were laying out in the hotel's private beach area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nelspruit, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for four nights whilst travelling solo as a treat "from me to me". I paid the extra charges and opted for the Ocean front cottage and I can truly say it was magnificent. The deck in front of the room is right on the beach and at high tide you feel as though you are in the water. I did not see the other rooms, so I cannot comment on them.

The sunsets are just spectacular and if you are not in a cottage, it must be worth requesting a room with a sea view.

The food was good, the service excellent and the massage at the spa really good.

There are many restaurants within walking distance so you can easily go for the Bed and Breakfast option without worrying about where to go for dinner, you have a good choice within a short walk.

If you want to have the option of ''mixing with the locals'' Nungwi is the place to go. Friends on the East coast stayed at a resort and other than staff, never had the opportunity to mix.

My only small gripe is the cleanliness of the beach. Whilst I appreciate it is a working village, the beach really could do with a daily raking or similar clean-up, I was disappointed with the amount of refuse (plastic bottles, clothes, shoes, plastic) that washed up.

Oh yes, be sure to ask for a bottle opener for your bar fridge.....

Room Tip: Ocean Front Cottage, certainly worth the extra price. Restaurants within easy walking distance.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I should have written this review a ages ago, but as they say better late than never, so couldn't pass up the opportunity to give my impressions and experiences of this amazing hotel. I had been travelling around Kenya and Uganda for a month on a budget so promised myself a week of indulgence and luxury before heading home. Initially when deciding where to spend my week I thought about staying in Kenya, but I am so glad I decided to look further afield and make the flight from Nairobi to Zanzibar especially to stay at the Z Hotel. I can honestly say on arrival, my breath was taken away, I wasn't disappointed, the hotel and it's staff are the stars, they both work together seamlessly to give an unforgettable product to their customers! Julie the Guest relations manager is such a lovely warm person and I found her and her staff to be a perfect team and true ambassadors for Zanzibar.

After the hour long drive from the airport to the northern tip of the island, I was greeted by genuinely warm smiles and a refreshing drink and face towel. I was given a tour of the premises and shown to my room which was on the first floor looking through the palm trees and onto the beach. The room was very nicely furnished and restocked with bottled water every day. I especially liked having the free WIFI connection which was a real boost when trying to communicate with friends and family at home.

Breakfast in the morning totally surpassed my expectations, there was just so much choice and the quality of food on offer was amazing. There really is something magical about watching the world slowly waking up eating fine food looking out over the ocean from the wooden decked restaurant area. Nothing was too much trouble, if I wanted my omelette and filling in a certain way, the chef prepared it swiftly and presented it to me perfectly every time.

I ate lunch and evening meals in the hotel for most of my stay at the hotel and was never disappointed by the menu and quality of food on offer. On the occasional day, just for a change of scenery I did the short walk down the beach where there are some really nice beach restaurants serving fresh catch of the day delivered hours earlier by the same fishermen I watched returning at breakfast time and also a sports bar where the football is always on the tv if you can't live without it.

I didn't do very much whilst at the hotel, the allure to be soothed by the sounds of the Indian Ocean and the hot sun was just too strong! There are excursions available from the front desk if you require them. The only down side and it's a very minor one, is that the local "beach boys" will soon find you once you leave the hotel boundary which they are not allowed to cross, offering their wooden carvings and boat trips, but I generally found that a polite but firm no was generally understood and respected and they left me alone for the rest of my time at the Z. This place has the ability to sooth your senses and live long in the memory,I still tell people I work with about this place as it made so much of an impression on me! I cannot wait to return someday soon and get those batteries in recharge mode again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

The hotel is located in between youth hostels so you don't really get a luxurious feeling.The rooms are very small. The rooms close to the bar are very noisy at night.
The restaurant and drinks are much more expensive than all the neighboring food places.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 7 nights as a special birthday celebration and were luckily enough to stay in a Cottage 2 over looking the sea.
The cottage was really well equipped ( amazing wallpaper), ipod dock, fridge tv in the sitting room and over the bed! Bathroom had lovely white company lotions and potions and was spotless.
Everyday the maids laid out fresh flower decorations on the bed and when we arrived we were surprised by fizz and a fruit plater for our birthdays.
The pool was clean and very quiet ( just what we wanted as we left the kids at home!) always sun beds available both by the pool and on the beach.
Breakfast was as you would expect, my husband was delighted to find cooked breakfast, I loved the fruit. My only niggle was the coffee wasn't great, so I just went for the variety of teas on offer.
All the staff were very friendly and Julie was excellent as guest relations.
We only ate in the restaurant once as we preferred to eat at others along the beach. The food was delicious and not much more expensive than the others, we just like to try different places, which is one of the reasons we chose the Z hotel. ( other larger hotels are a bit out on a limb so you have to taxi to try restaurants).

We booked trips via a guy on the beach to Menemba and did a sunset cruise ( don't worry if you miss the latter...) but to be honest found the snorkelling in front of the hotel pretty good if you wait until the tide is out.

In all a fabulous relaxing break. I would defiantly recommend this hotel.
Top tip make sure you take your sunglasses as the sand is so bright you will need them at breakfast.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Troon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed 10 days at the Z Hotel, and pretty much everything has been said. It is as good as the photos show.The rooms felt more like bedrooms than standard hotel bedrooms.
The staff were wonderful and tried to help my husband and I learn some Swahili.
Julie the Guest relations manager was wonderful and was there to greet us and often there just to say hello.
Being a boutique hotel it is small enough for everyone to recognise you each day, but still offer 5 star hotel quality.
For us it was on the perfect spot in Nungwi, next to beach bars where we would sit and dine out on the beach ,a luxury that is a premium on most resorts but for Nungwi this is the way to dine.
We used room service one night to sit and have a pizza, best pizza I have had in a long time!
I would say don't bother booking through The tour company in the hotel you will still end up going with everyone who has paid through the beach boys, but will prob end up paying more.
Being there for 10 days we had plenty of time to visit the rock restaurant, a must see if you have time.
I have the name of a local driver who we used and gave us a terrific price, Pm me if you are going soon and need a driver to pick you up and take you around Zanzibar.
we also entire to Stonetown to see Slave chambers and again would recommend this.
Mnemba Atol is a must see excursion too.
We have travelled quite extensively and would rate Z hotel to be amongst one of the best hotels and situated on a wonderful spot.
Would we go back again, you bet ! Can't wait
Any questions I would be happy to answer if I can.

Room Tip: We had room 31, wonderful could see the ocean whilst lying in bed
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Z Hotel Zanzibar? Share your experiences!