“Great Boutique Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Honeymoon couples
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
“Great Boutique Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I recently stayed here after spending a month in East Africa & making summit on Kili. I stayed in the Z suite which is the one with the hottub on the balcony. It was beautifully decorated, comfortable and the majority of the staff was very kind and helpful. I even had one of the housekeepers offer to bring me up the lobby cat because I'm a huge animal person and just like having dogs/cats around.

The hottub was worth the additional price. The beds are comfortable,The AC keeps you cool, the amenities are quality, and the beach location is great. As far as the restaurants go, I enjoyed the meals I ate at the Z. For an island off the mainland of EA, the steak dinner was surprisingly good. They had an excellent wine selection and the staff was all very friendly.
The sunsets from that location are picturesque.

The one downfall of staying in the suite? I'm in IT and could barely access wi-fi from the suite. To everyone who thinks 'turn it off!' When you're traveling solo, you have only yourself to entertain. So I wanted to keep up with news and education but the signal up there was terrible! Had I been there with someone else, it wouldn't be an issue so this advice is only pertinent to singles or people who really want to stay connected to the internet.

Unfortunately, my iTouch was stolen within a few minutes of leaving it in the lobby. It's a secure area with guards so only cleared guests and hotel personnel can have access to the hotel. The staff tried to help me and I appreciate that. Looking back, I would have offered an award just to get my device back. I had so much information, photos, etc. on it. While that situation doesn't incur resentment, I still wish I had my iTouch. It was barely five minutes and it disappeared.

Room Tip: If it's within your budget, the Z suite with the hot tub is worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Great hotel , staff really friendly , our roof top suite was just great to watch the sunset , lovely setting right on the beach .
Small and compact hotel great for relaxing , no hassle and nothing was too much trouble
Would recommend if you like small and beautiful

Room Tip: Go the for the roof top suites , they are wiorth the extra penny .
Monrovia, Liberia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was amazed with everything in the hotel, starting from location, beach and food, through the various decorations of bed. However, what I thought to be the best is the friendly staff in the hotel. There was not a single person that would not great you with a smile! The only thing I would add is the variety to the menu.
I highly recommend this hotel!

Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have been staying 5 days at Z Hotel in Nungwi Zanzibar. That is English (in positive meaning) style hotel with good class European service and amazing location. You can have english breakfast at deck over the ocean with amazing views, can sit in bar haveing drinks with great holiday feeling but best ..was lounge music around yourself, in the bar, restaurant, pool deck and pool bar you hear great chill out music (very calm and delicate) which makes your relax even smoother. Weloved our stay and if could we come back to Z Hotel.
Rooms are not extremally spacy but good enough, view fromBalcony (2nd floor) is breath taking, straight to sunset.... no bugs (special cleaning insecticides) or mosquitos. Foodis very good - we had tuna steaks - never before such a good fish - FANTASTIC. Bar is bit expensive (for Zanzibar standards), beach is great nut beware tides. We had long beach walk to restaurant but... had to swim back. Pwople are very nice and supportive in Nungwi and that seems to be very safe place to stay. Nungwi i srather active (and possibly crowded) beach but highly recommended to saty few days there.Ocean has great bluish colours and white sandy beaches makes this place looking like paradise. Highly recommended

Room Tip: Top floors ocean view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

This gorgeous hotel right on the Nungwi beach was the perfect end to our honeymoon after a week long safari in the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater. We stayed in a gorgeous roof-top apartment with its own balcony. The pool was a welcome relief from the heat of the beach and staffed by a very talented and multilingual group of highly entertaining bar men. At first we planned to be discrete about being on our honeymoon but soon discovered that this is a very gay friendly establishment.

They organized a special romantic dinner on the beach with complimentary bubbly, which was very special. Th food was excellent. All the staff were amazing and the attention to detail continued even after we left. My wife discovered she had accidentally left her stamps in the taxi that dropped us off. We called to let them know in case they could locate the taxi driver and arrange for them to be dropped off. Within a few hours the stamps were delivered!

Thank you to everyone at the Z Hotel for making our stay so special. It was truly amazing!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Once again, it would be nice if there were a rating between Very Good and Average. My husband and I recently spent three nights at the Z Hotel in the little village of Nungwi at the northern tip of Zanzibar. The location of the hotel is amazing - right on the beach and the beach is superb. There are, in fact, a whole string of luxury hotels along the beach there. However, the stretch of beach that the Z Hotel sits upon seems to be the longest. The water is beautiful and warm and the sand is soft and white. The views from the hotel are spectacular - we were in one of the huge roof top rooms so our views were truly amazing.

The room itself, being one of the larger roof top terraces was very large. Sitting area, desk, lots of closet space, two oversized decks. Bathroom for such a large room, was surprisingly not that big though certainly big enough. The problem with the bathroom was that the counter upon which the sink sat was way too small - and unnecessarily so given that there was unused space immediately beside the end of the counter.

The hotel also has a very pretty, though not particularly large, eternity edge pool with a fair sized deck around it for sun bathing and a sort of private beach area just below where the swimming pool sits. The problem with the pool was that the entire time we were there it felt like bath water. It was very hot while we were there and the swimming pool provided absolutely no relief. In that regard, one day, on a beach walk, we wandered through a few of the other hotel properties. I stuck my toe in one of the other pools and it was nice and cool and very inviting.

There are two restaurants - the casual one which is open for lunch and dinner and snacks - good menu and the food was good and the views are wonderful. And the "fancier" one. This was where they served breakfast and dinners as well. We had dinner there one evening and had a good meal. I have reviewed the two restaurants separately.

Now for the problems. The room had a/c but it was impossible to adjust. No matter what temperature or fan setting you set it at, it blew like a nordic wind non-stop. It was so hot that you couldn't sleep without the a/c on but with it on it was actually too cold. As the don't provide a blanket (just sheets) we ended up using the heaving bath robes as blankets!

The electricity shut off several times a day and night. I understand this is kind of the usual for Zanzibar but needless to say it can be quite annoying. Sometimes in the middle of the night the a/c would kick back on but not always so you would find yourself fumbling around for the a/c remote and trying to get it back on in the dark.

The shower was very pretty - lovely tiles, nice rain shower head - but hard to maintain both even water pressure and even temperature so showers were often an experience. To make matters worse, two out of the three days we were there, we had no water at all between about 4 and 6 - not the entire two hours both days but a good long chunk of time. As well, there was often a sewagy odour emanating from the bathroom so we had to be careful to keep the toilet lid down and the bathroom door closed.

The other problem we encountered, and I should add that this seemed to be a problem wherever we went in Tanzania, wait staff appeared to speak english but often did not actually understand us. So, for example, they could tell us what the food specials were or what might not be available on the menu that day, but if you asked them a question about the food (I have one food allergy I always check about when ordering) they are simply incapable of answering the question although often they sort of pretend to understand. If they simply admitted they didn't understand it would, in fact, have been less frustrating. We found this with a lot of the staff at the hotel, not just the restaurant wait staff.

Finally, I wanted to add a word about the tour company that has a little office in the hotel and which the hotel recommends you use for outings and which one tripadvisor reviewer recommended for a spice farm tour. I had therefore decided I wanted to use them for a spice farm tour and both my husband and I were very very disappointed. Not only do we feel it was way over priced at $50 per person but the guide, his "assistant" and some other participant (he climbed a coconut tree) all had their hands out for a tip. Someone came around part way through the tour wanting to sell soaps and the guide was pushing us to buy some. At the end of the tour, there was a "spice shop" you were expected to buy from - extremely limited product and, I kid you not, more than three times the price of the exact same product we had seen in a store in Stonetown. All in all we felt royally ripped off - oh yeah, and we had to practically beg the driver to give us a bottle of water (we had checked before leaving the hotel and been assured we would be provided with water) - and to add insult to injury, the water was luke warm. All in all, a bad, frustrating and annoying experience.

Most of the problems we encountered at the Z Hotel were undoubtedly endemic to Nungwi. And there is no doubt that it is a very beautiful hotel and the room was really lovely. However, given the price, it strikes us that a few significant improvements would be in order.

Room Tip: The roof top terrace rooms have the best views and are the largest with oversized outdoor spaces.
melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

This was our last hotel after being away for two and a half weeks and we were hoping for a little more. The rooms were small but adequate, but my major problem was the smell from the toilet/sewer which was very unpleasant. When the rooms were cleaned housekeeping sprayed heavily to disguise the smell but during the day when the spray wore off, there was no mistaking the smell of sewer. The major positive was the beach which offers a crystal blue sea and clean white sand. Unfortunately the beach lounges from the hotel are non adjustable and a little rickety but the beach itself was gorgeous. The pool is too small for the complex and if you want a lounge by the pool, be prepared to set your alarm for 7am to get a towel to save one. The 'Happy Hour' cocktails were good value for $5 and Justin who served us in the bar was always very welcoming and efficient. Dinner on the lower level was fine and the location over the water was lovely. The hotel could do with some staff training to cater for the demands of Europeans and other westerners which at it's price point is the market it is pitching itself at.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to The Z Hotel Zanzibar? Share your experiences!