My friends all think I'm nuts; going to the same place over and over again. What I try to explain to them is that every experience at Ant's Hill is unique. Some things are consistent; the wonderful food, the fantastic lodging, and the unbelievably wonderful staff. The staff is one reason I keep going back. The manager of the lodge up at Ant's Hill; Penny is graciousness personified, and if you ask for something, she will move mountains and Jack Russell terriers to get it done for you. The guides are knowledgeable; and fun. If you are a beginner rider, they will make sure you have a safe fun experience. I've seen them work with people who had never sat a horse before and by the end of a couple of rides those people were raving about how great it was to ride horses. Of course the extremely tolerant and patient Boerpaard horses they have are just wonderful for beginners. I'm an experienced rider; and the guides and I have had some lovely long gallops, uh canters, yeah Ant, they were canters. And yes "Ant" is a person, a very lively gentleman with a great sense of fun. The property is well maintained, and there are plenty of game animals to see. Ask to go out on a night drive; it's a gamble, sometime you only see a bush baby or two, or you might see an aardvark; or even catch a porcupine stealing from the houses where the guides and other staff live. Note: do not leave shoes out, all porcupines in the area have a bizarre urge to steal shoes and dog dishes. The food is wonderful, and there is a great deal of it. Not a place to try and diet. The butter cookies they put in your room are addictive, especially with the coffee they bring to your room every morning. I am not a parent, and I am not fond of being around young kids: But at Ant's Hill it's never been a bother. The place is very kid friendly, as well as adult tolerant. The staff makes sure everyone is having a great time. At Ant's they are forefront in the fight to save the African White Rhino from extinction, and when you get up close to those animals, I guarantee you will be awed. I can not say enough good things about Ant's.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ant's Nest & Ant's Hill are two private bush homes situated in the malaria-free Waterberg region of South Africa. Approximately 3 hours north of Johannesburg. These two bush homes are on a privately owned reserve and can offer guests game viewing activities which include game drives, game walks and fantastic horse riding. They can cater for all levels of riders and also accept kids of all ages. This is a wonderful destination for couples, honeymooners, families or just good friends travelling together. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia so you can book your Ant's Hill & Ant's Nest reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ant`s Hill & Ant`s Nest Hotel Vaalwater
- Ant`s Hill And Ant`s Nest
- Ant's Hill & Ant's Nest Vaalwater, Waterberg, South Africa