“You may have to wait for your order, Staff extremely busy but efficient.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kai Whakapai Cafe and Bar

Ranked #4 of 63 Restaurants in Wanaka
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
South Africa
“You may have to wait for your order, Staff extremely busy but efficient.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

This is the first place I visited upon arriving in Wanaka, and I went there almost daily during my stay in that town.. , and indeed, like all other comment on TripAdvisor, the coffee ( I had 3 cups) was probably the best in town, as well as the two sandwiches I packed for my trip to Roy Glacier. One fresh smoke salmon, and the other was cold cut chicken sandwiches. Both the bread and the flavor on the food was quality and not fast food. The lovely smiling blond girl (don't remember her name) was terribly busy but she had an ye on me and deliverer promptly what I had ordered. Sandwiches cost about 10-12 NZ$ each. While waiting for the sandwiches drinking flat white, watching the scenery along Wanaka Lake across the street, I was inconvenienced by heavy smoker near my table, the wind blow their cigarettes smoke, right at my face. And, i went to the men room and the toilets were terribly dirty and smelling, I felt like being in India. Except for that little unexpected convenience, I did enjoyed seating outside with the early morning sun on a early winter day. I can only recommend the place, if you have time to kill. In the evening outside, lots of Kiwi if you like a few jokes and meet the local. Lots of tourists Campers as well, great place to listen to travel stories, and meet fellow travelers. Have ''FUN'' Wanaka is so much better than Queenstown.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Roger N, Owner at Kai Whakapai Cafe and Bar, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Hi and thanks for your review. We are pleased you have rated us so highly despite the toilet and a couple of other aspects related to us being so busy. Our space is small and the building blueprint not conducive to better use of space, despite a few re-vamps to improve things. You should have seen it before! We would love, for example, to have another barista area to minimise queues at busy times - but there simply isnt space without robbing more customer seating. Basically we're "maxed out".

Our toilets are next on the re-vamp list you'll be please to know.

Despite the infrastructure limitations we do operate as fast as humanly possible, double team on the coffee machine, have a dedicated coffee waiter(ess) at busy times to avoid the baristas leaving their station, and try to keep it friendly and fun, treating everyone as a local..... hence I am extremely grateful to you for your balanced approach during your review. It is indeed a wonderful place to watch life go by and enjoy friendly banter - and that's why we absolutely love it.

Best regards and safe onward travels, Roger & Shonagh North

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Always good, always busy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Have been to Kai several times, at different times of the day & night in recent times. Good food, good coffee, nice ambience. Nice to be outside if possible, but if the weather is not playing the game, or they are too busy (& they generally are pretty busy), there is extra room upstairs which has nice views out to the lake. Recommended.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Istanbul, Turkey
“Delicious Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We were hungry and driving through Wanaka so stopped in for breakfast. What a terrific surprise to have such a delicious Eggs Benedict, with bacon and spinach. Best breakfast we've had in a long, long time. Too bad that we were only passing through -- the town setting is breathtaking, and we would have come back to the Kai Whakapi Cafe.

• Visited April 2014
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Best food we had in NZ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Had the pulled hoisin beef burger, easily the best food we had on our whole trip, and the best priced as well. can not recommend more.

Visited March 2014
Sydney, Australia
“nice coffee and good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Good value and nice spot. We enjoyed sitting in the sun and watching the lake and mountains.

Enjoyed our tea and coffee and the raisin toast.

Visited March 2014