My son and I greatly enjoyed our stay at the Central Wanaka Apartment, which is managed by Lake Wanaka Holiday. Here are the PROs and CONs -->
1. wireless internet -- 100% free and wall-to-wall! When I arrived, a new WiFi provider had just started, and the wireless access was somewhat buggy for us, so the provider and I went back and forth a few times, before we suddenly had perfect (and free) WiFi ! With telephone tag, etc this took several days --BUT, future renters will benefit from the fixed WiFi. AND, my current rental in Taupo is charging me $$$ for WiFi, so I really miss the free WiFi. A warning to travelers to NZ -- do not expect free WiFi, but rather to be charged for a few hours at a time.
2. TV channels -- a huge number of TV channels to pick from. There must be 70 or more. Doesn't sound like much? Well, my rental in Taupo gives me 11 channels, and they are all bad. This is great.
3. Front office staff -- The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. There are several people who rotate at the desk, and all were great. Good with directions, local recommendations, and good attitude. We accidentally put a dent in the sheetrock in one of the bedrooms, so I reported it the next day. They were not fazed, and said no charge as long as it was something their handyman could take care of -- it was just a spackle, sand and paint project so he certainly could. But it was good to be reassured.
4. Location -- Wanaka is jaw-dropping. The scenery is spectacular, and photographs cannot portray the majesty before you. Like I told my son, it is a shame that the word 'awesome' has been co-opted by modern slang. The old meaning would have helped in describing the vistas. The apartment provides a very good view of the scenery from the kitchen window. Also, under the category of location, the unit is within an easy and pleasant walk to the small downtown business area.
5. LOTR - We did Lord of the Rings outings almost every day and the apartment is in a very good location for the majority of the South Island locations. The office staff have a degree of awareness of LOTR locations also, which was helpful.
1. Heating system -- we were always warm, but the heating unit was a bit noisy, but it never was obnoxious or nor did it keep us from sleeping.
2. TV/DVD player -- we watched rented DVDs every night (it is winter, and the nights start at 5:00PM), and the sound was a bit erratic. It was fine when watching normal TV channels.
My son said that this was the best vacation he had ever had, and that was only on the second day. It was a combination of the views, the apartment and the town. We began our vacation when my son got off for summer vacation, and immediately traveled to Wanaka. June in NZ is the beginning of winter, which was an abrupt change for us! As I write this, a week has passed and we have moved onto to Taupo, to a timeshare unit there. I am using the situation as an opportunity to compare the two units, and Central Wanaka Apartment definitely wins out. The greatest difficulty I have had on this trip is driving on the left side of the road, a constant strain for me. The NZ people are wonderful, and very friendly. This has been a wonderful trip.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.