“Sweet as ... NZ fly fishing with Jake” 5 of 5 stars

+64 3 443 6941
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Fly fishing with experienced Wanaka fly fishing guides. Get the most from your precious time in the fly fishing paradise that surrounds Wanaka. The guides at Southern Rivers Fly Fishing have vast local knowledge of the lower South Island rivers and lakes along with boundless enthusiasm that will take you a long way toward your dream fly fishing experience. Pristine fly fishing rivers, unique fly fishing experiences.
Boulder, Colorado
“Sweet as ... NZ fly fishing with Jake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

What an amazing country you call home. We had such an awesome time down there...from the beauty of the landscape, endless outdoor adventures, to the food & vino, and of course the great people we met along the way. We just wanted to let you know that you, and our experience with Pete & Janine were a huge part of that. Even though our time together was short, you guys made us feel like family. Our excruciating...I mean our exciting time on the river with an awesome fish to show for it (still dreaming of that monster that got away too), the views, the heli experience with 'Pete the Pilot', the evening feasts...it was all pretty incredible and we can't thank you enough for sharing all of that with us. By far fly fishing with Jake and his buddies was a highlight of our trip to NZ. Highly recommend Jake and can't wait till the next time. Thank you!!!

Visited March 2014
Jake-SRFlyFishing, Owner at Southern Rivers Fly Fishing, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Awesome guys loved the time out there with you, you were a blast.

You got to see how tough our trout can be to fool. It's never a given that it will be easy and at times it excruciating like you say. I had a lot of fun and hope we get the chance again in the near future. The two Pete's loved your company as well and I am sure would love to see you again, this time for a bit longer though.

I wish you all the best for your life together, you guys make a great team.

Thanks.

Jake.

Perth, Australia
“Best Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Without doubt one of the best days I've ever had Jake and Scottie are terrific, I fished the whole day with Scottie and am still amazed at his ability to see fish, he taught me more about fly fishing in an hour then I'd ever known. hats off to Southern Rivers Fly fishing. I would recommend these guys to everyone, thanks guys

Visited January 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Jake is the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I haven't actually been out fishing with Jake, have been trying to book him in for an upcoming visit in January, but he's totally booked out - just goes to show how popular and great he is at what he does.

However over the last couple of weeks Jake has kept in contact with me, putting me in touch with other awesome guides and I've finally been able to find someone who is available to take us out. So whilst I haven't experienced one of Jake's trips first hand, he has been so amazingly helpful (something he didn't have to do) and definitely worth a review! Hopefully next time we get to visit beautiful NZ, we'll be able to book in a trip with Jake!

Visited December 2013
UK
“My dream is to repeat my adventure with Jake!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Sadly, I have not been able to do this recently due to serious illness, but if there is one thing, alongside the obvious ones like family etc, that motivates me it is the thought of returning to Wanaka, and meeting up with Jake and going fishing again. I have been used to trout fisheries and pellet fed fish mainly on reservoirs in the UK, but wild trout fishing in NZ was like being in another world - perhaps the UK with a population of 4 million, not 64 million!
I arrived in Wanaka and headed for the tackle shop to ask about 'local Guides'. I was directed to a young man, who was coincidentally shopping there at the time. A life long friendship started that very moment. I met Jake about 10pm that evening and we crept down to the banks of the mighty Clutha, cast some flies on a short leader, and 'slurp, slurp' later plump, hard fighting trout were on the bank. One could here the trout slurping and the anticipated excitement of a take was almost too much. Evening trout fishing at its most magnificent. Jake knew where they were and on what they were feeding. I followed this up with several more day and evening trips in the same week, and the sight fishing was also superb. I'm not a top fly-fisher but was able to cast well enough to tempt some whoppers up to 4/5 lb. Not always easy to land though. Again Jake was patient, working with me on what skills I had, trying to develop them and improve my technique, all in a superb professional manner. I did fish elsewhere in NZ (North and South) and caught trout, BUT what made Wanaka so great was Jake. I know he now offers heli trips, remote fishing, short and long trips - I will return once I've beaten the dreaded cancer - those trout had better watch out. Best wishes to all who use Jake, but please leave some availability for me!!!! In fact perhaps I should not be publishing just how good he is. Riopicasso
My trip was 5 years ago, so is not that recent, although I've had to put Feb 2013 otherwise it seemed it would not be accepted. I have spoken with Jake on several occasions re fishing again and he looks forward to welcoming me when I am fit and well. If the date below excludes my info, that will be a pity.

Visited February 2013
Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
“Awesome...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

It's hard to express what an amazing day we had, Jake was fabulous, scenery was beautiful and the weather wasn't half bad either. We couldn't recommend Jake enough, he is very knowledgable about the surrounding areas and knows all the great spots to go, and the chocolate brownie for lunch really goes down a treat. Thanks Jake for a great day out :-)

Visited May 2013
Jake-SRFlyFishing, Owner at Southern Rivers Fly Fishing, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Sharon I had a great day with you guys also, it was a pleasure meeting such happy fun people. I hope you find time to get down this way again next season and hopefully we can get you guys out chasing some deer also. Thanks,

Jake