“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 50 activities in Wanaka
Type: Other
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Fly fishing with experienced Wanaka fly fishing guides. Get the most from your precious time in the fly fishing paradise that surrounds Wanaka. The guides at Southern Rivers Fly Fishing have vast local knowledge of the lower South Island rivers and lakes along with boundless enthusiasm that will take you a long way toward your dream fly fishing experience. Pristine fly fishing rivers, unique fly fishing experiences.
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

It was my 50th present from my husband to visit New Zealand we chose Wanaka due to the web site of southern rivers fly fishing. Jake contacted us and was most helpful with all our question. Once we arrived we met with Jake and true to his word he had arranged many activities and trips for us. One of the most memorable was taking the over night cruise in the doubtful sounds in one word Amazing!!! Jake has a wealth of knowledge of New Zealand and its customs. He took us places we would never had found on our own. I had mentioned to jake my wish to take a helicopter ride and how I had always wanted to experience the thrill, once again Jake came up trumps - one morning he came to collect us and drove us to a field, I was a little confused and then over the trees came the helicopter to take us up into the mountains - Jake you are a star you made my dream come true. Throughout our holiday Jake took time and effort to make sure our holiday would stay with us for a very long time. If you every get to New Zealand make sure you contact Jake you wont be dissapointed a true guide and a gentleman at that and please say "good
day" from Renee and Carlos.

Loveland, Colorado
“Above exceptional! A must for those seeking amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I had the wonderful opportunity to spend 3 days on the water with Southern Rivers guide Jake.
To preface the story, Virgin Air lost my bags somewhere between Colorado and Australia.
I expressed my concerns to Jake, upon arrival on the South Island that I was without gear, and this could pose a problem for me. I was upset as all get out, after all, I had been planning this trip for about 9 months. To be without gear for days on end in the back country, thousands of miles from my home waters, was the perfect ingredient of a potential terrible experience, or so I thought. Jake picked me up a few hours after my arrival, with plenty of gear to go around. This immediately uplifted my spirits! I was comfortably outfitted for the 3 amazing days and I didn't skip a beat. Jake put me on some of the most jaw dropping pools and stretches of water, I have ever seen in my experienced angling life. Jakes in depth knowledge of local culture, flora and fauna was eagerly shared with me and this just made the whole experience that much more engaging. The fish were most definitely the cherry on top of this wonderful experience. If you are looking for a remote experience and the opportunity to land big fish, this is your company!The food Jake prepared was of local origin and absolutely exceeded my expectations as well. I was very comfortable with Jake the whole tour. His manner and professionalism makes this great company and guide, a winner in my book. I highly recommend the trip South to anyone looking for an outstanding experience in New Z back country!

Visited November 2011
Snowmass, Colorado
“Epic Fly Fishing Adventure with Jake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Last October I went on an epic flyfishing adventure with Jake from Southern Rivers Flyfishing in Wanaka. It was early October and one of his favorite secret rivers had just opened up. He picked me up around 5:30 am and we headed out to this secret river. It was a bit of a 4wd drive into the backcountry. Because Jake is a local and has been fishing this area most of his life, he has access to sections of river that are not accessable to normal fisherman and or guides. We finally got to our fishing destination and at the first crystal clear pool we came to there were approx. 5 large rainbows. I hooked a beautiful 20 inch rainbow. From that point on I think it went 20 inch, 21 inch, 24 inch and finally culminating in a 30 inch, 7 lb monster rainbow!! What a fish! We had stalked it and another rainbow. We could see them both in about 3 feet of clear water. Several casts later and the fish was on. Jake had his video camera on the whole time and got all the excitement on film. A couple weeks later he made a personal video for me so I could re-live the trip anytime I wanted. I have fished many places in the U.S. and Australia. Fishing in New Zealand with Jake was one of the highlights of my fishing career. I would highly recommend you book a fly fishing trip with Jake. You may catch the fish of a lifetime!

Visited October 2010