We are somewhat budget-conscious travelers. An accommodation for us is just a place to get a nice warm shower and a comfortable place to sleep. We don’t need a lot of space, either, as each of us only has a carry-on backpack & a personal bag. Because of this reasoning, we believe that a budget of less than $100/night is reasonable.
It was so hard to find an accommodation for under NZD 100/night in Wanaka. We only learned about Montrose B&B, owned & run by Barb & Phil Wilson, from a Wanaka tourism website, which listed the full contact information for the B&B, including its own website. Based on the information on Montrose B&B’s website, & our correspondence with the very helpful & responsive Barb, we decided to book a queen room for us.
It was so easy to locate the house as it looked exactly like the picture posted on the website. Barb greeted us & told us where to park our little car. Our queen looked & smelled clean & cozy; our bed was heated, too! The shared toilet & bathroom were located right next to our room. Fresh clean towels & soaps were provided. They were very modern-looking, spacious, clean & tidy. Some extra amenities that we appreciated:
- Free access to a freezer & fridge, microwave, dinnerware, & sink (in the garage).
- Free access to washer, clothes line, & dryer (in the garage). Unlike Americans, people in New Zealand (& Europe, & Asia, too) seem to be more conscious about conserving energy. So, one of the things that Barb asked when we had to do a load of laundry was that we first hung our wet clothes on the clothes line to dry, then stick them in the dryer just for finishing touch to make sure they were all dry & not wrinkled. Wanaka weather is so dry that this method worked wonderfully for us (most our clothes were made from nylon/polyester/thin cotton), even when we actually hung our clothes in the evening, & collected them the following morning. It only took about 15 minutes in the dryer before they went back inside our bags!
- Free wireless internet (but bring your own laptop/netbook).
- Free Wanaka map & info, including any local insights about New Zealand in general or Wanaka specifically from Barb & Phil. Just ask!
- And of course, the price includes home-prepared breakfast each morning! A great energy booster if you plan to do some hiking in Wanaka (we did the Roy Peaks/Mount Roy track, a 6-hour round-trip steep hike).
- Distances from the house to:
o Puzzling World = 2.4 km = 1.5 miles
o Pembroke Park & most restaurants = 2.5 km = 1.55 miles
o New World supermarket & a lot of restaurants = 2.2 km = 1.37 miles
o Mt. Iron track = 500 m = 0.3 mile
Try walking to all these places: nothing is too far to walk in the small town of Wanaka! If you’d rather drive to places, you can park just about anywhere for free, unlike in Queenstown.
We stayed at all types of places when we visited the South Island in New Zealand for 9-10 days: farmstay, hostel, backpacker lodge, B&B (bed & breakfast), self-contained unit, hotel, & holiday park. By far, Montrose B&B in Wanaka was our favorite. Barb & Phil sincerely wanted us to have a great experience in New Zealand: they helped give us track & driving route information, & even checked the weather forecast for us.
While we could not think of anything that any traveler should be concerned about if selecting Montrose B&B, we managed to come up with a short list that a traveler may want to think about & consider:
- Make sure you understand that you will share the toilet & bathroom with others (if there are other guests). The toilet & bathroom are very modern, clean, tidy, & spacious. Just take everything you need to the bathroom: toiletries, towel, change of clothes, etc. Fresh towel & soap are provided, but bring your own shampoo.
- We mostly stayed in our bedroom to enjoy our food during the day or in the evening (except for breakfast), & it didn’t bother us. Not sure if there is any other area where one can enjoy a meal (perhaps in the garage?).
- As we’ve mentioned above, if you find yourself in need to do a load of laundry during your stay at Montrose B&B, please follow the easy, short laundry instruction & respect Barb’s & Phil’s need/desire to conserve energy in return. Don’t worry if you don’t know how to hang your clothes; Barb will show you where & how to do it (just ask).
- Barb & Phil owned a dog when we stayed there. We are dog/animal lovers, so it was actually fun for us to be able to pet/play a bit with the dog. Barb & Phil did a great job of keeping the house & the dog clean, too, so no worries in that aspect. The dog stayed with them in the main living quarter most of the time anyway. However, if you are allergic to, afraid of, or don’t like dogs, perhaps you need to consider other accommodation options.
If we ever go back to Wanaka, we will absolutely consider staying at Montrose B&B again. We recommend this B&B to any traveler who appreciates a comfortable accommodation & local hospitality at a competitive price, & does not mind sharing super clean & modern toilet & bathroom.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fabulous mountain views from our modern bed and breakfast. Situated in a quiet residential area but only 17 minutes walk (1500 metres) to town. Elevated to enjoy lovely mountain views all around from the dining area. A delicious English cooked breakfast is offered along with continental, vegetarian and gluten free options. Good fast broadband wireless internet is included. Lovely modern bathrooms with undertile bathroom heating in winter, heated towel rails, shampoos and hairdryer and continuous hot water. Bedrooms with wall mounted televisions, self controlled heating, shelving, clothes hanging space and electric under blankets. Queen room with private en-suite bathroom and a room with 2 beds (queen and single)with a large private bathroom opposite. A further room is available only by request. Friendly kiwi hosts Phil and Barbara make guests very welcome in the living area at any time and offer complimentary drinks on arrival and / or during the evening. You will fall in love with Mika, our very friendly, placid Samoyed dog. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Montrose Bed & Breakfast Wanaka reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.