“Brought back so many memories” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 20 attractions in Wanaka
Type: Specialty Museums, Museums
Attraction Details
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Brought back so many memories”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I loved this place! When you walk in all the old school toys in the cases brought back so many childhood memories about Barbies and Sylvanian Families and Lego, and all before you've paid and gone into the museum itself! My partner loved all the old school cars and planes and things, I loved the toy displays and especially the furry VW which I remember being in Sally Cant Skate in the late 90s down Riccarton Road in Christchurch. The collections of various old things like McDonalds toys and Meccano and bowsers and televisions and telephones etc. kept us entertained for a good few hours. My favourite part by far was the vintage peddle car which once I spotted, I ran off while my partner checked out the paddock of tractors behind one of the hangars and cruised by and picked him up in it. Wish we got a few more photos in it but I posted one on Instagram anyway. Will definitely be bringing my future children here one day.

Sydney, Australia
10 attraction reviews
“Wow - I remember when .... !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

A trip to the National Transport and Toy Museum was recomended to us by our Wanaka hosts and I'm so pleased we took their advice and visited this 'Aladdin's Cave', which is filled to the brim with toys that invoke the pleasures of long forgotten childhood play. There are also hundreds of cars, trucks, motorbikes, planes, fire engines, tools and other treasures and bits and pieces (e.g. a motorised wheelbarrow !?!), so everyone will find something that they can relate to. You can't help but feel the stir of memories of hours spent dressing Barbie or playing with action figures or Meccano. From toddlers to seniors - there's something here for everyone. The little cafe had only recently opened when we visited, and more renovations were underway. It was nice to be able to have a break and a sit down cuppa to break up the hours we spent, exploring and investigating the contents of the unabashed chaos in some parts of the museum, or getting some leg exercise in one of the fabulous outdoor pedal cars. This is a family friendly place, so don't hesitate to take the kids, but go early and allow yourself plenty of time - the discoveries and the memories just keep on coming!

Visited November 2013
Invercargill, New Zealand
6 attraction reviews
“A must for Auto and Toy people,,”

im sure all will enjoy.
can get round in a wheelchair with some problems
in and out of the bigs hangers, but worth it
plenty of interesting things to browse

Mumbai (Bombay), India
33 attraction reviews
“Excellent collection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

You will be stumped by their collection of transport vehicles. Its an unimaginable museum. If you want to see each thing in this museum, a day will not suffice.

Leeds, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
“What a fantastic place - an absolute gem.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is one of the best museums I have ever visited and, at 62, that's a lot of museums. The collections and sheer volume of items in this place had my wife and I speechless and very excited. This is a must see for young and old.