“no sleep” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 43 Specialty Lodging in Wanaka
Wanaka, New Zealand
“no sleep”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I understand hostels with bars are going to be louder then ones without but this place really went to far. The whole building was shaking under the base in the bar.3 nights i stayed there and honestly left shattered because couldnt sleep until 2-3am in the morning. When I went to ask why i was paying $33 for sanctuary which should have ensuite, tv and girls only where as i had none of these i was told i was in a quite area of the hostel! I couldnt believe it. This has put me completely off Base in general

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Darelle J, General Manager at Base Backpackers Wanaka, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Goodness me this is not good. There is nothing worse when you can't get to sleep! Although we are a party place we still expect all of our guests be able to get a good night sleep. I'm disappointed that staff did not offer to move you into a quiet room. There was obviously some confusion here because we could have shifted you away from the Saturday night crowd. Furthermore it is a shame that they did not offer you earplugs which are free for light sleepers.
Apologies that we did not live up to your expectations this time around. The Sanctuary brand is certainly something we pride ourselves on and although not all of the rooms have a TV and ensuite, they do have the extra touches such as full-length mirrors, hair dryers, fresh towels and a free nightly glass of bubbly for each guest.
If you should visit Wanaka again please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will ensure personally that your stay is comfortable and all smooth sailing!
Thank you ever so much for your feedback too.
Safe travels.
Darelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I booked at Base in Wanaka on Boxing Day via wotif.com as a last minute decision after having a particularly long and bad day. On arrival I was told that the room I had booked and paid for didn't actually exist as they were fully booked and wotif.com had not checked with them about their availability. Having being stuck in Wanaka alone with about 50kg of luggage, and having a horrible day, I proceeded to cry in despair at my impossible situation. The reception staff were amazing, and asked me to wait while they checked in a Kiwi Experience bus and would try and sort something for me once they could ascertain what space was available. In the end, I received the private ensuite room I had booked, which was clean and tidy and perfect for somewhere comfortable and private to stay for the night. The bar downstairs was a little noisy however as my window backed onto their courtyard, but other than that faultless. I would definitely recommend staying there again, the staff was amazing

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Darelle J, General Manager at Base Backpackers Wanaka, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again :)
Robin Hood's Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We arrived at Wanaka without booking anywhere to find that this backpackers was full :-( so we headed on to Queenstown. However the staff at Wanaka Base had been so helpful and the town looked so pretty after 3 days in QT we returned to Wanaka.
Due to a mix up at QT Base they got us a free upgrade to a private double room in Wanaka for a night. Pure luxury, we even booked to stay a second night. The bed was extremely comfortable and the en suite was spotlessly clean.
We didn't really use the kitchen or tv room but did have the $5 continental breakfast which was surprisingly good, with fresh fruit and individual jams and butter. We also ate one night in the bar downstairs, a burger and a pizza, we weren't expecting anything great but were pleasantly surprised.
We found the staff to be extremely helpful here. The cinema just over the road and puzzle world just a 5 min drive away are a 'must do'. We also climbed Roys Peak, this is not for the faint hearted and I wouldn't recommend attempting it in mid-day sun. It is a constant 3 hour up hill walk, but worth it for the amazing views.
We parked our camper van on a side street and in the main town car park over night without charge or fuss.
Thank you Base Wanaka, we hope to return one day :-)

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Darelle J, General Manager at Base Backpackers Wanaka, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely review. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. Please make sure you say Hi next time you are in Wanaka! Hope you have a very happy 2014 :)
Hertford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed at base for three nights in November. We found all staff members very helpful and knowledgeable with all of our queries about excursions etc. Our room was really clean, comfortable and very quiet. Its location was also a plus point, two minute walk to the lake. Wanaka is such a beautiful town, definitly worth visiting and would highly recommend staying at base.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your glowing review on our hostel and the beautiful town we live in. Glad you enjoyed it. Hope to see you back here again soon! Happy New Year :)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

One of the better base hostels. Clean rooms with good facilities in the hostel. Would highly recommend the boat cruise for $25 on Thursdays. Excellent value and beautiful cruise. Service was below average with the guy on reception twice trying to keep our key deposits

• Stayed December 2013
Hi there. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review :) I'm glad you liked our hostel. We strive to give excellent customer service so if you would like to give me more detail on the service you received that would be greatly appreciated, please email me on wanakagm@stayatbase.com. Thank you. Happy New Year!
Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed in this hostel when travelling back from Queenstown and when I arrived the receptionist had an attitude like she couldn't be bothered to serve me as I was "early". I arrived at the hostel at 10 and couldn't check in till 2 so had to leave my bags in the storage room. When I had put my bags in the storage room she then decided she would check me in early. I got given my room on the same floor as the reception and there were 5 other bunk beds in the female dorm. This meant that there was 10 beds in total. I used the shower facilities but found they weren't that close to the rooms which I were staying in. If there was any more showers nearby my room I am not sure.

Also I found that my key kept deactivating and wouldn't work in my door so I had to keep it away from my mobile which kept making this happen.

On the second floor of the hostel there is a kitchen area which guests can use which is good as it gives you the chance to meet other backpackers. You can also sit outside on the balcony in the kitchen area and sit while you eat and look at the mountains. On the same floor there is a TV room and every time I went in there it was empty so it didn't seem to get used very much.

The shops were a few minute walks which had restaurants and gift shops. Most of the shops in Wanaka were quite expensive as they sold home orniments. However there is a New World supermarket next door to the hostel which was very handy as it meant it was easy to get cheap meals. In the town it is also a short walk to lake wanaka which is beautiful. Luckily the weather was beautiful too which meant I spent most of my afternoon by the lake.

Overall this hostel was an okay place to stay- I wouldn't recommend staying here if you want to have only a few people in your room. The location is great for shops, restaurants and lake wanaka. I would stay here again if I had to for only one night but no more.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed Wanaka. Sorry to hear about your key troubles, sometimes they deactivate when they are kept next to a phone or a credit card. Hope you had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

This backpackers has a lot to reccomend it - in fact, it's so quiet and organised, it is much more reminiscent of a hotel than a standard backpackers. We stayed for a night in a double room, which had a very comfortable bed, a nice enough en suite and a good view of mountains. It's close to town and the supermarket and the lake.

I have a few bones to pick, though. A completely dry hostel, with guests required to hand over any alcohol they may have to reception on check in. I only saw that after paying. Okay, they don't want it to be an epic party place, but I would have liked to be allowed one glass of wine with dinner on their lovely terrace.

The kitchen is large but not all that well equipped. I spent an irritating 20 minutes fruitlessly hunting for just ONE serrated knife to cut bread. Some of the kitchen utensils looked in poor repair.

Finally, the biggest issue, thenroom leaked. My partner left some clothes on the floor next to the wall. In the morning we found that rain had somehow come through the wall and he was left with a pile of wet clothes. Not great guys.

It's a pity I can't wholeheartedly reccomend this Base, because I would relly like to.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi there, please accept my apologies for the late reply. Thank you for your review. I'm sorry about the leakiness, I do remember this and we have of course since had plumbers out to fix the issue.
In regards to us being a dry hostel, unfortunately we have a licensed bar on site and as such it's against our license let our guests BYO.
Hope you had a very Happy Christmas and have a great 2014 :)

Been to Base Backpackers Wanaka? Share your experiences!