“I Love Middle Earth- The Pellinor plains battlefield was spectacular” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lord of the Rings Twizel Tour

Lord of the Rings Twizel Tour
1 Ostler Road | Leaving from the Mackenzie Country Inn, Twizel 7901, New Zealand
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Twizel
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newcastle, Australia
“I Love Middle Earth- The Pellinor plains battlefield was spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

As a family of 4 who love LOTR we were really excited to do this tour , our tour guide was fab and full of behind the scenes knowledge. The scenery was spectacular and I almost expected an army of orks to march down on us! we had lots of fun in costume and I look back on those photo's as some of my favourite from our New Zealand trip. I loved this tour and would recommend it to others. thanks for the memories The Regans

MA, USA
“Ask him about the military Orcs...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

OK, let's get this out of the way. On this tour, you'll see a large field surrounded by hills and mountains. Beautiful, but still nothing more than a big field. So why should you go on this tour? Because your tour guide Vernon was there when the magic was being made and brings the field alive with his stories about the filming of some of the most memorable scenes from 'The Return of the King'.

He will pick out many of the camera angles and use photos and clips from the film to show you how they managed to transform one location into the expansive Pelennor Fields, how mountain ranges from another part of the country were digitally overlaid to give it a different look from different angles, and more.

His stories can take you from the setup of filming, through the chaos of filming Orcs and horses in a large scale battle, and everything in between. My wife and I enjoyed every minute; it is not often you get the opportunity to learn about a film shoot from someone that was there. It was well worth it making the stop in Twizel for this tour.

Just make sure he tells you the story about the ingenuity of the NZ military even when dressed as Orcs.

Sheffield
“This tour rocks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

One of the highlights of our time in NZ. I'm a big LOTR fan but my wife's not, and she also really enjoyed the tour. The guide is truly excellent, so knowledgeable, a nice bloke too, absolutely perfect!

He even had a mini DVD player showing the film, pausing at the right time to show where the scenes were filmed. LOTR super-fans will love it.

The scenery for Pelenor fields is simply awe-inspiring, jaw dropping, loved it! We were the only 2 people doing the tour, and being the only souls on such a massive location was amazing! And I have a few comedy photos featuring us posing on Pelenor fields with LOTR props which I will chuckle at for years to come! Highly recommended tour.

Tel Aviv
10 attraction reviews
“if you are LOTR fan go and do it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

We did this during Jan , We took the 2 hours tour and it was really nice.
they take you to a private property where they filmed the battle from the third movie,
they show you the relavent parts in the van before explaining the scenery and how it was made so you can understand even if you never saw the movie.

very nice tour and we learned fasinating facts during as our guide was working with the film crews during the filming.

if you like LOTR you should do it , very personal and expirience to remember.