“A wasted day out” 1 of 5 stars

Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
41 attraction reviews
“A wasted day out”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

I spent the afternoon at Cocos Island and it was an afternoon too much. The resort concept they sold included hotel transfers and entrance to the island. All activities on the island were separately sold with afternoon activities starting at 2:00pm. Activities that I remember being on offer were parasailing, banana boat rides, snorkeling, fishing and dolphin watching. If you don't want to pacticipate in any of the activities on the island, you're basically paying a lot of money just to go to the island to sit on the beach (my advice is save the money and go to a free beach instead).

Hotel pickup was at 11:30am and we reached the island at 1:35pm. As the afternoon activities started at 2pm, there was a mad rush to get afternoon arrivals to buy the correct activity coupons and be at the right spot by 1:50pm. This left no time for lunch - which was ok for me as I had a late breakfast although I know that some of the Japanese tourists were hungry.

I chose snorkeling as my activity and we were put on the same boat as the people who chose fishing. As the boat move off from the dock, the staff conducted a briefing for all snorkelers and they were basically rude, condescending and completely uninterested. When we got to the snorleing spot, the fishing group were told to cast their lines from one side of the boat while the snorkelers went down the other side - although the fishing group eventually cast their lines from both sides of the boat.

The snorkeling was poor with only dead coral litering the sea floor and visibility mediocre. There was little sea life around except for the odd starfish and tiny fishes. It was a complete was of time and definitely not worth even half the money paid.

When we got back to the lisland, the restaurant was closed so there was no food or drinks available. Good thing the bus driver that picked me up at the hotel stopped at McDonald's and advised me to get something so I had a burger and a drink handy. A couple Japanese tourists I saw had to survive on a bag of potato chips and no drinks.

As the island closed at 4pm, we were rounded up at 3:30pm to take the ferry back. All in all, it was a few hours of traveling time for a $55 entry onto an island that offered nothing and a further $25 fee for snorkeling that was utter rubbish. A complete waste of time and money and an afternoon that should have been better spent somewhere else.

Visited July 2011

Agana, Mariana Islands
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

We thought coco Island would be a nice place to get away for the day. Being Military we are stuck on Guam for a few years. I can't believe how expensive this day was. After spending $300.00 we did less then 15mins para sailing, beach snorkeling, and Jet skiing. I was pretty unsatisfied with the small about of time we had to do each thing. When the flyer says 30mins..its really 10min. The lunch we terrible. Also EVERYTHING is in Japanese..probably because they rip this off so well. Nothing for a tourist trap. Good luck!

Visited June 2011