“Heaven on Earth” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yanuca Island
Melbourne, Australia
“Heaven on Earth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

This was our 3rd trip to Fiji in as many years and our third stay at Shangri La's Fijian resort . My wife and I love it and it just seems to get better everytime we go back.We took a couple of friends with us this time and they were blown away and can't wait to go back(they're already making plans to return next year).The staff are amazing and so friendly from the cheerful Rachel (at the Takali Terrace restaurant) to the always friendly and smiling Api (the concierge) to the iconic and upbeat Mun, in fact if nothing else you should visit this resort just to meet Mun.He is what Fiji and Shangri La is all about.Mun is friendly, talkative,funny, extremely helpful and has a wealth of knowledge that few can replicate.
The restaurants provide some of the best meals I have ever tasted, in fact I have put on 3kgs this trip.
The beds are so comfortable that my wife wants one exactly the same at home.
The 3 swimming pools provide something for everyone from the infinity pool to the adults only (quiet) pool, and the snorkeling around Yanucca Island is amazing.
Shangri la is so popular that even the prime minister of Fiji Barney Marama (I hope I have spelt his name correctly) stayed there for the Fiji day celebrations and we actually had a chance to see him in person.His speech was truly entertaining and humurous and he was very approachable and charming.So you know for the Prime Minister of Fiji to stay at Shangri La it must be good.
The activites available through the resort are too numerous to mention, We did the Sigatoka jet boat cruise this time (I highly recommend it) and the Natadola Train trip.
But the highlight of our stay were the Bilibilli races on the Sigotoka River (for the Fiji day celebtrations), it was one of the best days of my life, to mingle with the Fijian people and see the pride and joy they have is enviable. Shangri La won the final Billibilli race and the overall event go Shangri la go.
Keep up the good work and we will definitely see you all again next year .
Look after yourself Mun don't change and good luck with the web site.
By the way there is a guy called Jim who is based at Shangri la and does the best paintings of the sunset and the resort (we have bought six paintings from him already) go see him when you get there ,you won't be disappointed.

Bulla Vinaka
Fondest memories
Dean ,Carole ,Les and Marina

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (733)
Denarau Island, Fiji
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

Arrived at the Shangri La at 9.30m after a long flight, feeling tired and grubby. Joined a long queue to check in. I have never queued this long before. Room was not ready as we had arrived so early ( they had our flight details and they came and picked us up) and they advised we come back. They said it would take a couple of hours. After 5 hours I was getting a bit fed up and they said they would upgrade us to a family room so we would not have to wait any longer.

The Family room was probably the worst room I have seen in a long time. It was soul less with odd bits of furniture. My daughter moved the curtains and pulled her hand away fast. They were not very clean. I was thinking of how much we were paying, how long we had waited and what we were going to do next.

The guy with our luggage came and asked how we liked our room? He was a very nice man and rather than bother him right now, I said well its not great but leave the bags and I will sort something out. Immediately he was on the phone finding an alternative. I think he knew this was the last resort room!!! No pun intended : ) . We were moved to a different room, which was like a palace in comparison but still not up to the Shangri la normal standard.

I spent the rest of the afternoon looking at hotels in the area on the internet, and tonight we will go to dinner at one of these and check it out. Have not been impressed by anything here yet ( apart from the very nice luggage man) and we as the customer may exercise our option of going elsewhere.

Resort seems to be filled with white plastic furniture, table in the restaurant were all chipped and broken at the side, and there was loud music blaring out. Pool uninspiring, beach small with little shade for the sunbeds. These are first impressions, but you know what they say the first 24 and the last 24 hours are the most important to get right with a holiday.

On the good side
Sea was a beautiful blue, and if you squinted your eyes to block out the rest you could fool yourself you were in paradise.

auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

We went during the New Zealand school holidays with our kids aged 10 and 13. Had a truly great time at this resort. Fantastic food, and lots of organised activities and things to do. Big - and noisy in main areas but not hard to find a quiet spot on the beach. Great beach, but just "adequate" snorkelling. Room was nice but spare pull-out bed (for kids) was uncomfortable.

Great beach - beautiful sand and minimal waves, with a floating pontoon and a floating slide which the kids loved playing on. Free snorkeling gear for first 30 mins. Free kayaks for first 30 mins. The snorkling sights were not as good as the west coast resort islands, but still not too bad. Lots of interesting fish but the coral was disappointing.

Staff were well training at saying Bula! and smiling their best smile. Some even seemed genuine.

Perhaps don't go to this resort if you want a quiet, lounging-around type of holiday - at least not during the school holiday period. I liked that there were so many people there because it meant more things to do : organised soccer/beach-volleyball/ etc.

I recommend the village bike tour - but expect to feel a bit guilty at the difference in living standards. The locals seem happy and full of life, and the kids are great.

The food (I'm thinking mainly of the buffet meals at the Lagoon restaurant) was pretty amazing. Fantastic variety and everything I tried tasted good. Damn those buffets are something I won't forget for a while...

Gripes: (1) they didn't give us the handy "what activities are on and when" printout until the last day we were there. Very annoying. (2) sofa pull-out bed for the kids was pretty uncomfortable. (3) at first I was annoyed that we had to pay for snorkelling and canoes after first 30 mins. Pays to bring your own mask/snorkel.

Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

This hotel is very inflexible if you wish to change anything. Every time you went near reception someone was complaining about their room or something else within the resort. Lots of our group has items added on their bill and the hotel took hours to sort this out . This hotel is not up to usual Shangri la standard - dont be fooled by the name

Stayed September 2010
Robina, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

Like with every other holiday I have planned in the past few years, I read every review of the Shangri La before booking, and as always have found the advice offered invaluable, and most of the reviews very accurate and helpful in choosing hotel and then preparing for our trip.

We spent 7 nights at the Shangri La recently, travelling with our 4 kids and 2 other families also with kids.

Hotel location - we really enjoyed the hour long drive to the resort from the airport and found it a fascinating trip visually. Our driver (recommended by TA members, Arif) was great and didn't mind taking us to a supermarket in Nadi (late on a Sunday) in order for us to buy water and a few other supplies before we headed off to the coral coast.
The location of the resort itself was great - so scenic with a beautiful lagoon and all rooms would have a view of the water.

Our room/location - as we booked the larger Ocean Family Rooms, our room was a long walk from the main area however we were quite happy to be removed from the busy lagoon area, and enjoyed sitting on the lovely lawn out the front of our room sipping wine watching the sunset while our kids played on the grass or the beach, or swam in the Ocean Wing's infinity pool - much quieter and more peaceful than the lagoon area in our opinion.
The room was great and had more space than I had anticipated and also the bathroom was a good size.
We had a few problems at check-in when first shown to our room - firstly there was a cot instead of a rollaway bed, and no towels - this took about 8 phone calls to rectify over 5 hours late in the evening - funnily though, we eventually had 3 different staff bring towels so ended up with about 12!
Also our fridge was broken, and also the inroom safe didn't work - when we went to ring about these the next morning we discovered our phone was broken too!!
Our bed was incredibly soft and very uncomfortable - our friends also had a similar complaint - one of our friends requiring physiotherapy for back pain on returning home!!
Room servicing was variable - some days was completed by lunch, others not til after 6pm, and one day not at all.

Things we enjoyed at the resort -

The pools - they were great - the kids loved the lagoon pool, our preference was the quieter infinity pool but both were really lovely.
The snorkelling and swimming off the beach was fantastic - warm clear water.
We also did the snorkelling trip 3 times and thought it was fantastic. The kids also loved the banana boat rides and kayaks.
We had a wonderful babysitter in the evenings (Adi) who came with us each night to feed the kids dinner and then she would take them to the games room and play ping pong and pool with the kids while we adults had our dinner. There were tears from both Adi and my children on the day we left. She is one very special lady.

My girlfriends and I really loved the gym with the ocean view and had a decent range of fairly new cardio equipment and weights.

Our main complaint was with the food - there seems to be differing opinions on this forum - some claim it is atrocious and others don't seem to understand what the complaints are about - in my opinion I guess it must depend on the type of food you are used to eating at home!
Breakfast at the lagoon terrace was acceptable (apart from the incredibly long queues/waits to get in some mornings).
However we were unable to find anything enjoyable for either the adults OR the kids for lunch (the kids eat free meal at lunch was, according to my 4 kids and our friends kids, inedible.) Lunch at the coral cafe or beach grill was not much better and we had to wait over 90 mins for food on more than 1 occasion.
The best evening meals were to be had across the road at Geckos - nothing flash but at least the food seemed fresh and was tasty and MUCH cheaper than that on offer at the resort. We tried all the restaurants at Shangri La - the best in out opinion was Takali, but even so, was nowhere near as good as any Asian restaurant at home and twice the price. Some of us had upset tummies on more than one occasion.
However we were fully expecting food to be below average having read all the prior reviews and were mentally prepared as such - I took a suitcase FULL of dried fruit and nuts/crackers/grainwaves etc which kept the munchies at bay for the families during our stay.

Despite the food issues, Overall, we had a great stay - the kids had a ball, and as a result, happy kids = happy parents!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Robina, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

Things we enjoyed at the resort -

The snorkelling and swimming off the beach was fantastic - warm clear water.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Sydney Airport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

I would certainly recommend this resort to anyone.

The island location of the Shangri-La is great. Just be aware that you do tend to eat and play in the resort, as it is a reasonable walking distance to go anywhere else. For this reason, an all-inclusive meal deal is a good idea. If you are young and fit, you can walk to the local village and encounter the place the Shangri-La staff live! We thought the rooms were quiet and luxurious, with a magnificent ocean view, most comfortable bed!- and the sweetest room attendants who left charming messages as they turned down our beds every night. The beach had beautiful aqua coloured water and plenty of canoes. The pools were large and well spread out so there was something for everyone. (In fact there was a kid-free restaurant and pool so if you travel without children you can escape the noise and bustle). The staff had particularly strong rapport with children and they never got ruffled or stressed. We learnt that you have to ask for things as the staff shows little initiative or thinking ahead but are incredibly cheerful, co-operative and willing to assist.
There was a fantastic modern gym overlooking the ocean and the food was much better than I expected, having read some other reviews.

There were very few problems overall. There were never enough beach/poolside chairs as people tended to `reserve' them with their towells each morning. Perhaps a better system could be worked out so that more people could sit round the pool in the shade. (The sun gets very hot). There were lots of children as we stayed during the school holidays, and almost everyone is Aussie, so at times you crave a quieter atmosphere. Mistakes were made on our bill, so I recommend that you save your dockets vigiliantly and check calculations. Communication could be so much better. You spend the first few days trying to find out what's on and where to go when. The staff are big on smiles and greetings but there is little written or oral explanations or recommendations. You find yourself asking other guests for their lowdown.

Organisation is not Fijians' strong point, so be prepared to `go with the flow' and do a lot of laughing along the way. Recommend a visit to any of the local churches on Sunday mornings where you will hear heavenly singing and feel amazingly humbled.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!