“Can't wait to go back - truly magical” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Advance Purchase
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yanuca Island
Brisbane, Australia
“Can't wait to go back - truly magical”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

Bula! This is my favourite way to say hello :) My family and I have returned from an amazing holiday and the Shangri-La was a favourite. I was dubious about going as I had read all of the negative reviews but had already booked. I shouldn't have worried about anything. The Shangri-La was truly magical.

When we arrived early on a flight from LA we were able to check straight in (it was 6am) and were able to freshen up and enjoy the whole day instead of waiting around until check in time. After enjoying an amazing breakfast (the buffet had a great selection), we enjoyed a swim and then the kid's decided to spend some time in the Little Chief's Club. The kid's club was a hive of activity - crab hunting, fishing, mini olympics, villiage tours, there was never a dull moment.

While the kids were in kid's club my Husband and I were able to visit the Shell Market that is within the resort, locals make the most beautiful jewellery and knick knacks right there in front of you. They only take cash there so just remember to take your purse/wallet with you - everywhere else in the resort just charge items to your room.

Things may seem expensive when you see that NW magazine is $10.25 but when you do a little quick math and convert that back to Aussie (or even better USD) you see that the prices are not that bad at all.

The staff are so friendly and my children really enjoyed greeting everyone with "Bula". We had an Ocean View Room which had a spectacular view and couldn't fault the room at all. It was clean and fresh and the internet connection was great. My husband and I are planning another trip there for our 10th wedding anniversary next year.

If you have any questions or want to see more photos please feel free to contact me.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Korean first
Mid North Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

After reading the reports before we travelled to Fiji , I was feeling a bit worried about our conference destination but it couldn't have been better organised! There was a large "Bula" from all the staff on our arrival...they managed over 300 people arriving in buses throughout the day beautifully. Our rooms were clean, fresh and looked after daily ! Our meals were beautiful. The Takali Breakfast looking out over the Ocean was a fine start to our days. The resort had a fabulous Village Fire Dancing Show and Fijian Dancers which we enjoyed immensely. We watched in awe the Fire Walkers and tried some Kava with the Chief. They also put on a Beach Party that was held at Sunset...gorgeous finger foods...set up directly on the sand, in a quiet and efficient way.The staff were all extremely friendly with big smiles and the friendly "BULA" from everyone. We practised some words with them which had them giggling hysterically with our pronunciation...vinaka - Thank you! We can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Bendigo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

We have just come back from spending 6 nights at the Shangri-la in Fiji. What can I say?? We have fallen in love with the resort and all of the the staff. 6 nights for us was not enough.
We stayed in a Lagoon room on the 2nd floor. We travelled with a 2 & 1/2 year old and a 10 month old. We used the fold out sofa bed for the toddler and a cot for the 10 month old. The only problem with this set up was having to pack away the bed on a daily basis and set it back up at night. Not too much of a dilema though. I was a bit concerned about being up on the second floor with a toddler and a pram but we were located close to the ramp near the Lagoon Terrace restaraunt. We hired a pram from the resort as I didn't own a small stroller to bring over. They were mountain buggy prams with full recline option. A number of other guests had hired them out too. I would have to say that the only pain about them was that they didn't have the carry basket under them which meant that you were carrying around nappy bags and hand bags.
We paid for an all inclusive package which covered our meals at the Lagoon Terrace for breakfast and tea and Lunch was a $25 credit per head to what ever restaraunt you chose. We ended up eating at the Lagoon Terrace for every meal as it had free lunch for the children and face painting. I noticed that the price of the buffet was $60 per adult and that didn't include drinks. A can of coke costs $5.80 and a beer $8.30 which can be a bit steep. I would agree with other reviewers that we did at times have to wait for drinks. But nothing that a polite reminder didn't fix. There was a multitude to choose from for breakfast. Danish pastries, toast, pancakes, waffles, cereals, yoghurt, fresh fruit, smoked ham, an egg station- where you ordered eggs to your liking, and lots of other meats and dishes (some that I wouldn't have considered breakfast eating.) Juice and tea and coffee were included. Lunch was a set menu. Prices ranged from about $21 to $28 for a huge pizza. Tea was buffet again with seafood, salads, samosa, mini spring rolls, curries, bread rolls, a pasta station- where you could choose the pasta made fresh for you, asian dishes, roast meats and cooked vegetables. The desserts were to die for with many little samplers and ice cream. I would have to say my son has never eaten so much in his life! He just kept on happily eating. We never suffered any form of food poisioning. I don't know if it had anything to do with us eating earlier. Breakfast at 8am and tea from 5.30pm. I did see a qualified chef come out during one our meals there to supervise the front. I think that it was nice too that by the end of our stay there the staff were able to remember what room we were staying (to charge it back to the room). I wasn't fussed about the repeativness about the food cause all I cared about was not having to cook. I would have to agree- unless you have kids I wouldn't go there because there is lots of crying children and it is super noisy. There was always a demand for high chairs too as there was only about 7 for the entire restaraunt- which would have about 20 children needing them all at once.
I had a massage at the beach bure. For an hour it cost $80. I would have to say I was a little disappointed. The girl was disinterested and at a guess I would say that she wouldn't have had great training. And they used this cocoa oil and you get covered with it. I had a comprehensive shower and I still found some behind my ear lobe. My sister had one too and stated that the lady kept sniffing (as if she needed to blow her nose).
My husband and I had a pedicure at Chi spa which was lovely and met all the expectations. Next time I will visit there more often.
We used a baby sitter for when we visited the spa. She was lovely and I was surprised at how well she went with my toddler. I thought that he would get whiney at us leaving but she kept him happy. She also had a 3 year old herself. We tipped her cash and also took her for a stroll and bought her an ice cream- a real treat considering it equates to 1 hours wage. You must purchase a 3 hour minimum block for $24. Then you pay for your additional blocks. They like to have magazines to read if you are just getting them to sit while the kids are asleep. Which speaking of the price - to buy them there at the shop it cost about $11 per magazine.
We took my son (2 & 1/2) and his cousin (2) to the little chiefs club but just to join in a number of the activities then we would all go swimming. I would possibly suggest to go along with your younger children (under 5) before making the decision to leave them there. We stayed during the grass skirt making excerise and we were kept flat out helping the kids along with the staff (although it was labour intensive). The play ground was fantastic and we would often go along at 4.30 after everyone had left.
We only ever swam at the Lagoon pool- this was because it was closer to where we were staying and also because if there was a bit of wind it was too cold around at the infinity pool.
We loved the local choir- a previous recommendation was to give chocolate or lollies to them by we gave cash- this way they could use it to support their local economy. Their performance went for about 30 mins. They little kids were so cute.
I recommend a visit to the shell market. The ladies there make the items themselves and you know that they profits go to support their family. I purchase a number of beautiful pearl necklaces, bracelets and earrings. We became regulars and got to have a good chat to the ladies.
Which leads me to my next point. The staff. We loved them because they are what makes us want to go back. They were so friendly. "Bula" is constantly ringing out around the resort. They men and the women were grabbing my chubby 10 month old for a cuddle and to kiss her. Speaking with all the staff about their way of life and being genuinely interested was so enriching for us. They were all so eager to invite us back to their village and to see thier farms, to go fishing with them, to drink karva, to pick fruit. I would have one particlar lady who would find us out every day for a cuddle and a chat. Oh how I miss them all now! They have etched a special place on our hearts and I am working on a budget to save so that we can stay longer next year.

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

No different than anyone else... I read lots of reviews and feed back about the Shangri La Fijian Resort and felt a bit concerned at some stage before going on our holiday. Now it’s my turn to have my say. I travelled with my wife and 2 children (8 yo girl and 4 yo boy) to the Shangri La to enjoy a week in heaven. I can easily say it was the best holiday we have ever had and let me tell you we have travelled extensively within Australia. Our kids did not want to come home and had the time of their life; between spending time at the kids club (The Little Chiefs Club) and enjoying the gorgeous pools. The service was exceptional and the people are an absolute pleasure. We loved and enjoyed every moment of our holiday. We stayed at the Reef Wing next to the adults pool, which was excellent and very quite never the less close to all the amenities in the resort. I recommend you watch the Polynesian Fire Dance – exceptional value for money – the food was 1st class and the dancing was uplifting. In short, we will not be going anywhere else for a holiday and I regret not staying 2 weeks. Special thanks to Alfred and Rosa from the Little Chiefs Club for making my children’s holiday so special and enjoyable. We will be going back next year to spend 2 weeks.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful holiday at the shangri-la Fijian. We had a lagoon view room which was very nice and closer to the beach . The ocean view rooms however were closer to the golf , tennis and infinity pool so they would have been nice either.
We found the staff very friendly and helpful and loved the money free policy ,it was very freeing just to charge everything back to the room.
The food on the whole was very good . We loved the lunch at the infinity pool particularly and dinner was good in each restaurant . Perhaps the most disappointing on food was the "Beachside bar and grill" , although the beachfront location is lovely.
We would strongly recommend the meal plan, you can still eat in any location,off any menu and if you go over the allowance you simply charge the difference back to your room - no hassle.
We played tennis and golf each day . We found the golf course very adequate , a slight annoyance was that when we asked NOT to have a caddy , he followed us anyway to find our balls and we felt a bit hassled - we really just wanted a quiet round on or own and didn't mind if we lost balls.
We saved on cost by taking half sets of golf clubs,tennis raquets and snorkel with us . The snorkel cost $18 to hire the mask and flippers were cheap , so we were glad that we did this.
The ambience around the resort is lovely . There are 3 fijian musicians that go around the various locations playing traditional songs which is nice and the whole place is immaculate . Workers are discreetly sweeping up leaves etc. several times a day.
We loved the Black Marlin bar at night - it was so nice to be able to have a dance and work off a few calories after dinner.
All in all a fantastic holiday and we would recommend this resort to couples , families or anyone else.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
NSW Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

On arrival our room was not available so we were upgraded to an ocean view room. Lovely room and scenery, but a good walk from the main pool and prepaid meals in the restaurant and were the action really is.
Be careful with your spending in the resort, you'll never know how much you have spent until you check out, all purchases are signed for, including the shopping mall, so give yourself plenty of time at check out to verify your charges, especially if you have stayed for a week, and get a package including breakfast and dinner. Try their top of the range restaurant ( I can't remember its name) but it was worth the extra and getting dressed up.
Locals suggest you make purchases at the local market ( clothing to water) rather than at the resort as it is typically inflated resort prices.
The distance and bad roads to the resort will limit your local explorations to the tours arranged by the resort, their day trip of the local village and Natadolla Beach was well worth it.
We ventured back to Nadi one day and spent a very memoral day at South Sea Island, scuba, snorkelling and just lazing in the sun, with good food and drink all included.
Remember that all things happen on "Fiji time" in Fiji, including service at the resort, so relax and enjoy a wonderful place with lovely people.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

Have Just returned from 7 days at the Shangri La with husband and 3 kids - 4, 2 and 3 months. Resort is large and it took me a day or 2 to figure out how to get around. Room was large but was just one big room which became a bit stressful with 3 small kids!! Was in ok condition but could have been a tad cleaner - we kept getting dirty feet from the floor tiles. It was on the beach front with a fabulous outlook which was the payoff - the ones on the lagoon front have a divider between beds for a little more privacy. As mentioned in other reviews we also had a touch of diarrhea - not sure if food or water but food does get left out a while at the buffet. If you are after a relaxing quiet holiday and don't have kids DON'T GO HERE. There are kids running, screaming and throwing tantrums everywhere and that is just in the restaurant!!! The restaurants were quite good - breakfast and dinner buffet probably the best but you do get a little tired of the same thing every night - they do sort of vary it but not a great deal. Although the buffet is the best value be prepared for organised chaos - very noisy and people/kids everywhere. And don't always expect your drinks to arrive - service isn't really a priority. Kids do eat free in the restaurant where they do the buffet for breakfast and dinner but the meals they give the kids at lunchtime (set menu) are pretty scungey, vegemite sandwiches on stale bread one day - we ended up paying for the kids to eat at the other restaurants.
The two eldest kids went to the kids club a bit but mainly just to play on the play equipment - we spent some time there to settle them in and I don't think the supervision is quite the same as you get at home!! There was a little boy there crying his heart out for his mum and an older male minder was pretty much just telling him to be quiet - no comforting involved at all. Maybe I am just a sappy mother!!
There is quite a bit to do if your kids are older - games room, tennis, bike riding, kayaks, snorkelling. We played mini golf one day and the kids enjoyed that. They loved the pool and could have stayed in there all day.
I managed to visit the gym a few times (never get a chance at home) and it was well equipped which was great.
We also visited the shell market at the end of the point - local women making quite nice necklaces, bracelets etc. Bought a nice necklace and bracelet for F$30.
If we were to go back I think I would check out what there are in other resorts which cater for kids maybe Treasure Island?? Cousin has just taken her 2 girls there for the 2nd time.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!