“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yanuca Island
paramount ca
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I had the best 7 days of my life from the moment you arrived to the resort the people make you feel at home friendly staff. We arrived there early and are room was not ready a staff member by the name of Api who all my family felt in love with got us a beach house on the resort so we could at least go rest thank you Api for that. Also the people who clean are rooms are great I loved all the staff Selene for the Jacks Store nice lady told us some history from Fiji I recommend this resort to everyone very nice rooms and the views are beautiful breath taking. Food yes its expensive if you do the buffet dinner they call it the international buffet its expensive and its not good. We liked the Bar and Grilled located next to the pool they do hamburgers and have a trio decent price on food for that one. I'm hoping to go next time and staying at the same resort I just got back I was over there on Oct 2-Oct 8 ,2013 Best Anniversary Gift ever. The Beaches are so crystal clear and white sand I love it I was very skeptical at first because of all the bad reviews it had but the only down its food its expensive but what can u expect your in Fiji and in a beautiful resort. BULA to all the staff thank you for everything.

Room Tip: I got ocean view Excellent
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Our family of 6 thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Shangi-La Fijian Resort and Spa. The beach bure (bungalow) was fantastic. The staff were all amazing. We enjoyed the water sports and the cultural activities. The food was excellent. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Having heard so much about the Shangri-La Resorts I was a little disappointed with the Fiji resort. Stayed in January with three other couples and 4 teenagers. Apart from the beautiful location and friendly staff that's it. The hotel is in urgent need of update. Restaurants are expensive, drinks could be cheaper, service is very slow and the housekeeping could be more thorough. Not enough shed around pool and previous comments regarding renovations are true - my husband almost was hit in the head with a piece of guttering! Food is very bland, drinks are not cold and again expensive. Overall a little disappointing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

First of all, if you've stayed at a Shangri-La resort before, forget that experience when you arrive here - the Fijian doesn't come close to the standard we expected based on previous Shangri-La stays such as the Boracay resort. This hotel seems ancient and it's really more than a bit depressing. Day one we were wondering whether we should see if we could switch hotels. Since we couldn't, we decided to make the best of it.

So here's the best I can say about it: the people are friendly and the kids/family activities are well run. They do a wonderful job entertaining kids with activities at the kids club and around the pool and on the lawn. I can't fault them for making an effort. It's a lovely lagoon beach and there are plenty of free water activities to enjoy - snorkeling (1 hour free per day but you have to buy the snorkel), kayaking, sailing and SUP. They also organize mixed adult & kid water basketball, water volleyball, cricket, touch rugby and football games that are a lot of fun for everyone.

BUT, the resort itself is old and tired, housekeeping is very hit or miss (every day we were missing items, e.g. towels forgotten, turn-down service arriving at 9pm, etc.), the meals (as mentioned in other reviews) are bland and expensive and the service is S.L.O.W!!! Unless you have more children in the family than adults, the buffet should be avoided - it's costly, depressingly bad, and the drinks will turn up after you have finished eating. The other restaurants aren't much better, but at least you only pay for what you eat and even paying for children, that turns out to be a better deal.

Another thing that really bothered me was the pool-side service. At most nice beach resorts we have been at (both Shangri-La and other), you can order drinks from your pool lounger, towels are replaced as needed without a daily quota, water is provided and often a little fruit or small snack will be brought by once or twice a day. Here there is nothing. You can order drinks at the poolside bar, but you have to sign out towels (one per day per person) and bring your own water. The only food you can eat poolside is pizza from the restaurant (which you have to walk to and pick up 15-25 min later, depending on how busy they are). You can't order take-away from the other beach grill restaurant with a more varied menu and nothing can be delivered to your chair. This was a first for us and if you don't want to leave the pool for what is surely going to be a long lunch (remember SLOW service), you can get pretty tired of pizza after a few days!

So enough ranting, here's where I come out on the resort: you can have a nice holiday here if you care mostly about kids activities/happiness and if you have low standards/expectations for the resort itself. If you are expecting a modern, somewhat luxury experience (given the price tag and Shangri-La brand-name), you will be sorely disappointed. The Intercontinental at Nantandola would be our choice next time if we stayed on this Island.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

A nice place to visit/stay as only 3-4 hrs flight away. Generally nice and fine, kids had a ball. Some things could be improved perhaps, eg fairer pricing of resort purchases, extra effort in room cleanliness, eg dusting. Nice to be close to beach/pool/restuarants/lobby/etc from the room.

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Perth - Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Good location and awesome for kids. Prices r through the roof. Our room was doubled booked so was put into another room then locked out for 1.5hrs with cold wet children because no one come out let us in after disconnecting our room keys. It also took 2 hrs to deliver room service.

Kids eat free at only 1 of the restaurants.

We had a leak in our roof n all our power points blow out.

Ace the head guy at kids club is awesome.

Outrigger on the lagoon was way better value for money.

• Stayed October 2013
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

After 5 nights with 2 children, we managed to really relax and enjoy many aspects of our trip. If you are someone who loves buffets, mega resorts, wants your children to do typical kids' club activities with thousands of other children, then this place is fine.

If on the other hand you're looking for something even remotely authentic, are slightly fussy about what food you put in your mouth, want some peace and quiet and a more unique experience, then I probably advise going out to one of the smaller island resorts.

We write this review having visited Fiji about 4 times, and stayed at various megaresorts (Westin & Sheraton in Denarau, The Warwick and Outrigger at the Coral Coast) and several small resorts in the Yasawas, Manamucas and Taveuni islands and locally with friends. And I must say, the Fijian would probably have to be our least favourite of the past 10 years of travel in Fiji's stunning places. Not to say that we wouldn't recommend it, it's good enough and there's nothng terrible about it (hence the use of the word 'bland')

Let me start by noting the great experiences:
- The staff were lovely, and I was particularly puzzled by how they managed to keep such grace and beautiful smiles with all these demands and crowds and often rudeness that was bestowed upon them. I wish them all well, they're beautiful
- Our beautiful nanny Nancy, who was so professional and knew exactly what she was doing with both our children (21 months and 5 years)
- The Kids' Club was lovely
- Fiji. The sun. The weather.
- The little sea. Remember it's the Coral Coast, with barely any colourful corals or great fish. But it's a small clean sea enclosure by the hotel, and I really enjoyed having the option of snorkelling and swimming which for example you wouldn't get as easily in Denarau

Now, the bad bits:
- I requested a 'quiet' room, twice or three times. Once when I made the reservation. I'm sure I also did it again via email. And finally when we checked in. Unfortunately, we were stuck outside of Kids' Club and in the part of resort with thousands of screaming families, and in front of the lawn where kids play football in the afternoon, making an afternoon rest impossible. I'm not sure how Shangri-la got my request wrong

- We lost our iPad and didn't realize for 3 days. As soon as I realized, I contacted reception who said they'll look into it. Of course, no one called, so I followed up 5 times, they said they contacted lost and found (or whatever the department is called) and nothing. So I went personally and asked to lodge a report. I had to have a meeting with the head of security, who informed me that investigating this loss will be time consuming (he didn't mention that he meant time consuming for him). I insisted that an investigation is launched. Lo and behold, the iPad was suddenly 'found' the very next morning. Really Shangri-la, the last thing I feel like doing on my holidays is wasting 5 hours getting ignored by your staff and having to push to get an adequate response.

- Oh and the food ! Really, I have eaten in some of the most spectacular restaurants of the world, but I'm certainly not a foodie or too fussy about food. I just love food. With one condition. It has to have some taste. I really wasn't expecting much, but I had hoped for at least one good food option. Unfortunately, there was not a single adequate meal, it was all at average or below average. I had to resort to eating Pizza as it was remotely good.

- ALL resorts in Fiji, even the smaller island resorts, are touristy. So make no mistake, we are not naive enough travellers who seek a 'cultural experience' in a resort. However, most resorts at least try. For example, the decor is the Outrigger and some of the gardens Denarau do spectacular justice to the culture. Not so at the Fijian. The saddest part for me was the beautiful seranadors - in most resorts, we were serenaded to with beautiful Fijian music. Unfortunately, at Shangri-la, they've mostly done away with that, with a beautiful Fijian man Dave, singing The Wheels-On-The-Bus and other awful western songs. Come on, what a great shame - Fiji has a beautiful culture, and you should try to honour it Shangri-la.

- As everyone mentioned, the rooms must've been created in the 1950's, and whilst clean-ish and there is some attempt at modernizations, there are old blinds, sliding doors which are difficult to close etc. Don't get me started on the airconditioning. These are first world problems, but thought I'd note them to confirm what others have said.

So there you have it. It's overall officious. I have to say that, and not poor, because the staff and our nanny really went out of their way to make it wonderful in spite of all the downside. You can really hardly go wrong in Fiji if you ask me, even here.

Room Tip: God knows, I failed miserably in spite of 3 attempts at begging for one
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!