“Superb wedding at Shangri La” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Advance Purchase
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yanuca Island
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
“Superb wedding at Shangri La”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I got married at the Shangri La about 3 weeks ago. I was very nervous having our wedding there after reading some awful reviews, however our travel agent suggested we have our wedding a week before school holidays started, so we did! My wedding day was magical! We had a perfect day, we got married in the wedding chapel and had our reception on the beach, we had perfect weather and our wedding planner (Iliseva) was amazing! She had everything organised and nothing went wrong. So the Shangri La is a stunning place to have a wedding, the reception on the beach was also magical, so so so beautiful and service there was amazing! We were treated like royalty. I would recommend having the fire dancers, they made our wedding superb and very memorable! They were interactive and energetic, awesome!

We stayed in the superior ocean view part of the resort, our room was awesome! Cleaned daily, spacious and we had an amazing view from our room. I would recommend staying in this part of the resort as it is quieter and away from the pools.

The service is a little slow, but go for a swim, get to know the locals, relax and order 2 drinks at a time if you're so hung up about slow service! We didn't find this a problem, the staff were amazingly friendly.

However, we were there for a day or 2 into the school holidays and yes we noticed a HUGE difference, basically my advice is if you can, go a week before school holidays if you don't want to stay in a busy resort. School holidays are crazy, but this is not the workers fault, they are run off their feet, I felt sorry for them! Otherwise, book restaurants for dinner early, order a few drinks at a time and relax, the beach is beautiful! There is SO much to do, get amongst it!

The Chai spa was AMAZING!!! It's expensive but worth every cent. You will be seriously pampered there.

Food was good, I was sick of buffets by the end of my stay, but can't complain. The Golden Cowrie was by far our favorite restaurant, adults only, seemed to serve better food.

Over all, I loved this resort, we had the best time there. Cocktails are expensive, but we made the most of it, splurged and had the time of our lives.

Room Tip: Superior Ocean View was awesome, away from all the pools, quieter, with an amazing view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
  • Korean first
Christchurch
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

While the property is a bit tired and in need of some work, the location is a great place for a family holiday. Located on a small island joined to the mainland by a bridge, it provides a safe environment for families. The island is surrounded by a tidal lagoon which allows easy access for young kids to get close to fish etc. We enjoyed our time here and love the fact the hotel supports local communities by helping build schools etc.The main beach is kid friendly and there is plenty of space to relax or be alone. Buffet food is what you expect from a hotel and we enjoyed the selection of fish available at one of the beach side restaurants. All in all, a great family holiday.

Room Tip: Lower ground family rooms while a good choice for access to the grounds and beach can be a bit noisy...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed for 5 days at the Shangri-La with my husband. I specifically chose Shangri-La as prior to booking I emailed them about accommodating strict diets and they said they could do this (I'm vegan). Two chefs deserve a special mention (ask for them!)- Ganeshan and Krishnil. They exceeded my expectations. Ganeshan even created a special cabana menu for my husband and I. This has never been done for me, so I was really excited by this. He also packed us snacks for our trip back home.
More generally- the resort is clean, well kept. I saw some reviews complaining it was very old but I disagree. Our room was nice and had a nice view of the Lagoon. There were plenty of activities- water activities like paddle boarding and putt putt, tennis. Great massages at Chi. I went with my husband but there seemed like a lot of things for kids to do with the Kids Club. That said, they have an adult breakfast at one of the restaurants and also an adult pool. I would happily recommend this to anyone and hope to go back at some point!

Room Tip: If you stay in a superior lagoon view like I did, and are close to the Beach Bar and Grill, they see...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This resort is my home away from home. The rooms are clean and tidy, the service is great. Different restaurants to cater for different tastes. Choice of swimming pools or beach. Good shops on site. The Fijian people are the friendliest in the world.

Room Tip: Be sure to choose a lagoon room. They are closest to the main facilities.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

First time at this Shangri-La hotel. We have stayed at others but this was by far and a long way the worst. The main issue was poor service. As an example, at the 'adults only' breakfast, the waitresses (All but one) were clearly not wanting to be at work. We chose this breakfast place over the family one on each morning because of the massive queues. On the first morning the coffee I ordered, twice, never arrived, on the second morning, the eggs arrived scrambled when I'd requested fried (not a big issue but it all mounts up) and on the third morning we had a repeat issue of no coffee.

We did try the family breakfast buffet once but, at 8am, they had run out of a number of food items.

Overall the hotel is fairly good although you can be next to one of the louder areas if you have the lagoon view. The ocean view rooms, for the upgrade, don't seem any different other than in a slightly quieter area.

Other than experiences at breakfast we had a good time. The beach in the grounds isn't brilliant but we were toldgood for snorkelling. Most staff were very friendly and went out of their way to say hello (I'm not sure why those serving breakfast each morning were so grumpy).

The hotel seems well catered to cope with families - there was a childresn games room with amusement arcade machines, pool table, games in the swimming pool and entertainment evenings put on.

An average meal in the hotels was around $60 FJD each for us with one glass of alcohol, a main and a dessert and lunch was around $40 FJD for a burger and drink.

House-keeping wasn't brilliant - dirty towels were taken away but not alwasy replaced and the complimentary shower gels/shampoo's you get weren't replaced at all unless we went and asked house-keeping which was a bit annoying when you're just about to get in the shower.

Would I return again? Probably not. This hotel seems to attract varied responses - some love it, others are at the other end of the spectrum.

I will however say that the chapel where people get married is stunning. Pure white with delightful views. If you're thinking of getting married in Fiji, it's certainly worth exploring just for this.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the ocean view - you are placed near the adults only pool and restaurant but it wasn...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We took our second trip to Fiji last week as we had friends marry at the Shang-Ri La. We stayed at the Outrigger last time & I found myself painfully, (I'm sure the rest of our friends wanting me to shut up!) & continually saying 'it is SOOO much better at the Outrigger', 'the staff are so much nicer at the Outrigger', 'last time we were here the vibe was much better'. All cleaning/maintenance staff had a friendly 'Bula' for us. Restaurant staff, you can forget about it. We had one lovely lady serve us at the adults only brekkie area (at dinner) the entire time.
If we didn't have to stay at the SRL we wouldn't have, because of the reviews I have read. Not sure how there were any guests. Staff at the Beach Bar & Grill were not happy to be there & at the other restaurants it was obvious forced friendliness.
Our room was quite good, although a long way from everything it was ok to be out of the way. We could hear everything in the interconnecting room though!!
Dinner alternatives Geckos & Tommy Lous were excellent, we only had 1 resort dinner the whole stay.
Overall I would say to anyone wanting to travel to Fiji is seriously consider somewhere else!!
The wedding however was absolutely beautiful & we know our friends enjoyed it also. The chapel is STUNNING!! And although we stick our noses up at bain food buffets normally - it was devine, desert even better!!

• Stayed July 2013
Pago Pago, American Samoa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Best resort for the family. Activities for the families were great. Beach and sea clean and safe. Lots to do right off the beach, Kayak, snorkel, sail boat and sailboard. Scuba diving was very good for all experience levels.
Free breakfast was out of this world great.
Dinners are very expensive. Next time I'll try including the meal option.

Room Tip: All good! Great view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Been to Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!