“Just an unbelievable performance” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yanuca Island
Skennars Head, Australia
“Just an unbelievable performance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed for 7 days which included the day Cyclone Evan struck Fiji. The first 5 days we were very happy and contented with the Hotel. Yes it showed a little age etc, but this was compensated by the wonderful service provided by the gracious Staff. The last 2 days was " something else" The Cyclone as scary as it was , finally passed and left a real trail of damage to all the foliage and Gardens plus destroying the Pavilion etc. What really "got" us was that at 5pm {at the height of the Cyclone} when we were all sheltering in our Rooms 2 little Angels appeared at our Door with Complimentary Dinners, yes full Dinners. Next morning even though the view outside our Rooms looked like a War Zone, we found the Paths to 1 Restaurant cleared of debris and a full Buffet Breakfast served, with a real smile. Just unbelievable Customer Service. Well done Shangri-la Management and your glorious Staff. 150% from us. We will never forget how you looked after us . We have travelled a lot and I think this takes 1st Prize...

Room Tip: If you like children around stay in the Lagoon View Rooms if not try the Sea View Rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (729)
Manchester UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Listen, the resort needs a few quid spending on it and the food was a bit the 'same-y' and the service isn't exactly fast but we had a good holiday all the same.
The rooms were lovely and modern but the building was like a 70s concrete 70s holiday camp but I understand their is a re-vamp happening in the not to distant future.
I wouldn't come back, I think Denerau is nicer.
Great if you've got kids. I'd be horrified to be there if I didn't as its a family place and not great for just adults. Go to Denarau if you want adult only time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed at the Shangri la Fijian for 14 nights. It was our first overseas holiday.we are a family of 5. Our kids are aged 16,14,11 and were always keep busy doing an abundance of activities day and night. We arrived by private transfer in the afternoon which I highly recommend as there is no waiting and you are treated to a private talk about Fiji by a local for the hour which is very helpful. Check in was fast and friendly and then off to our fantastic rooms in the lagoon wing we had rooms 258 and 259 interconnecting these rooms were in a fantastic spot for us right near the dive centre. The rooms were always beautifully cleaned and made up each day and the decorations the ladies do for you each day is lovely. We took the full board option which is incredibly worth it! We mainly ate in the lagoon terrace as its a buffet, we love the variety and it suits all of us. Room service was fantastic when we chose a change. The staff in the lagoon terrace made our dining experience an absolute treat they are wonderful people,thank you! My kids and husband did a lot of diving when we were there and loved it, they have never seen such beautiful fish and reefs ever and could not stop talking about there dives, I couldn't put into words how wonderful the dive centre is they are fantastic people who go the extra mile so everyone is a great experience thank you Kirby,Wise and Johnny! Take heaps of sunscreen i took 6 175ml bottles and ran out with 4 days to go and the sunscreen for sale in the resort stores is $25fjd each bottle and no where near as good as the Australian quality even though its made by the same companies also take some aftersun product just incase of sunburn. The kids loved the games room in the evenings and learnt to play pool as well, the wifi is good in the lobby and beside the pool and is a bonus that it is free the rooms have cable in them and the cable is supplied for you. The lagoon pool is great and beautifully cleaned each day it is so warm and inviting, the beach is beautiful and the amount of fish is amazing, the sand is white and the water is very clear the snorkelling is wonderful, loved sitting at the beach each day and the sunsets are beautiful, the hairdressers braid your hair under an umbrella between the pool and the beach they are lovely people and do a fantastic job well worth the $1.40 to $1.80 per braid. The ice cream shack is also in this area it's very yummy and the coffee is as good as any cafe in Sydney, everything you buy at the resort can be put on your tab which we loved and its not hard to keep track of what you've spent as you always get a receipt, you can borrow clean towels each day and return them by 6pm each night in the pool area which is very handy too. My husband and eldest son went game fishing and my son caught a big sail fish and my husband caught 2 mahi mahis which they donated to the local villages they went out at 6am and were back by 10am it was another great experience for them it cost $300fjd each so about $150aud( cheap). The dives cost $160fjd each so $80aud cheap again they did 5 or 6 dives each. We played putt putt golf too it was fun cost around $35fjd for 3 of us. We booked a taxi ($35fjd return) to go to Sigatoka for a look, the taxi driver told us to only go to the store he dropped us at as it had everything we were looking for in the way of gifts, my husband decided he new better and took us around the streets it was terrible the Indians were grabbing the kids and shoving gifts in to there hands and then trying to get us to pay for them, they say terrible offensive things to you when you say no, my kids and I got very scared , that is something I will never forget and never get over, you would have to experience it to even believe what we went through, I will never ever venture out of the resort again, if my husband wants to go he can go alone!!! If you do go to Sigatoka please listen to your warnings and don't leave the store you are dropped at everything is there and it's all good quality unlike the Indians in the streets.
At the resort there are beautiful friendly ladies and men selling gifts I brought most of mine from them or in the shops in the resort, my favourite was the pottery ladies that come every few days to the lagoon pool area their pottery is lovely and very cheap I brought a lot from them too.
The fire dancing is a must too book for, it was a great night with beautiful authentic Fijian food and excellent entertainment.
The resort is big but we loved that it was very handy to walk off all our holiday treats as well, we walked right around to look at the golf course and wedding chapel and spa as well and the chapel is beautiful you have to see it to take in the beauty of it and the views, there were a few weddings while we were staying 1 had their reception near our rooms on the beach it looked beautiful and very professional too.
I can't say enough how fantastic, wonderful, brilliant this resort is! All the negative reports scared me before I went but I'm here to say we honesty loved it and don't know why people had such a bad time, we will be back for sure!!! One tip I read before we left that I found invaluable was to get the taxi driver to stop at a supermarket on the way to the resort, this saved us an absolute fortune a case of Fiji bitter is $47fjd at the supermarket and $120fjd at the resort, so that as well as water and snacks saved us heaps! Also buy your own snorkelling gear before you go it's great to use it when ever you want and for as long as you want, and its easy to fit in you luggage too. I've tried to put as much info and prices in as I can, hope it helps future travellers to the Shangri-la-Fijian you can't beat it of relaxation ahhhhh just loved it. Two more quick things if you need to do washing which I did twice don't do it on a rainy day as everyone does , do it on a hot day you can put the load on go to the beach for 40mins then go back to change over to the drier for about the same amount of time no-one used it on the hot sunny days, the tokens are $10fjd each for each machine you have to get then from reception before you go to the laundry and the washing powder is free in your room, the other thing is to buy a newspaper from the little shops just to get an eye opener on what life is like in Fiji, I found it really interesting only $1fjd.
I know my review is long but I wanted to tell you as much as I could. Hope it helps!

Room Tip: Pick lagoon rooms for families and ocean rooms for couples, if you have problems with stairs stay do...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My family and i have just returned from 7 nights at the Shangri La Fijian. I could not fault one negative thing about the resort the whole time we stayed there. If you are looking for a holiday where you don't need to go anywhere or do anything other than relax, swim, eat and relax some more then you won't be disappointed!

The resort was very quiet while we were there but we liked that we didn't have to wait for anything whatsoever. There is plenty to do here or do nothing at all! So many negative comments on here about this resort. Yes, it is no longer 5 star but if you want to truly experience a wonderful Fijian holiday then this place has it all! I think people are expecting too much when they write negative things on here about this hotel. The grounds are just amazing and the people are beautiful and so helpful.

My 2 boys had a fantastic time at Kids Club - so much so we had to beg them to stay with us the last 2 days of our trip to spend time with us by the pool!!!!!

The food was wonderful - we ate at the buffet for all 3 meals and there was so much variety that you could not complain!!!

We will definately be returning again next year!!!!

Room Tip: Lagoon rooms near the Lagoon Pool are perfect for families as close to the pool and activites and wa...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Bula! As Part of a small group tour, my husband and I spent Thanksgiving week at the Shangri La resort. The experience was all I had hoped for. Lots of swimming in the pools and beaches, beach snorkleling, kayaking, even a golf and mineature golf course. There were many open to the air options for meals including family or adult only dining. Of course there was a lounge with live music at night. The Staff was, without fail, curteous and friendly, as are all Fijians we were fortunate enough to meet. The resort, while older, was well maintained and there was always something to do. We had a great time!
On the, possibly, negative side, Fiji is largely an non-industrialised country, with many cultural and economic differences from what we are used to expecting in the U.S.A.. A learning experience - definately! One that I would enjoy again? YES.

Room Tip: They have a wide variety of accomodations, pre-check them out on website before booking. Using a g...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

So many plusses and minuses to weigh up after our recent five night stay here.

While it's a good 45 minutes to get here by taxi from Nadi Airport, it goes soon enough. Any taxi driver will likely be able to give you some proud explanation of things around you as you travel the otherwise fairly uninteresting road to Yanuca.

The Fijians are nothing if not welcoming and a booming "Bula!" sounds every time you pass a staff member. While this is friendly, to me, it does start to get a bit wearing after a few days but it's hard to shake the warmth of the locals.

We were initially in a room on the lagoon (land) side of the hotel but upgraded after one night as it seemed a little far from everything with the exception of the watersports centre which was practically downstairs. While it seemed a bit far our for my wife and I, it's perfect for families as it's quite close to the family pool area and the various family-based activities.

We upgraded to an ocean view room which was absolutely perfect in terms of location in the complex. Room 424 right at the end of the row. Next to the adult's only pool and with outdoor area facing right out onto the reef and out to sea. Sitting outside in the evening with a cigar and perfect view of the water breaking on the reef while a cooling breeze wafts by was heavenly.

If you're used to island life from other trips then you're better prepared than I was. I'm very much a city-life, get-on-with-it type and the slow pace of local life began to grate on me on occasion. Whilst I realise that a great many will visit Fiji for just this change of pace, I found it harder to adjust to. My Caribbean-born wife found it a little less perplexing though.

The prices were reasonable for a 5-star resort. Nothing outlandishly expensive but hard to call any of it a real bargain though.

There were a few low points that otherwise marred what would have been a perfect stay.

- Wifi was largely slow and never really worked by the adult's pool area. The family area and lobby wifi were better but still flawed. Some would remark this a poor gripe as many come here to get away from all the technology but, as I work as an IT technician, it was frustrating to want connection to post to social sites or get news from elsewhere all for the want of restarting a router.

- We booked a couples session at the Chi Spa. Shangri-La regulars will know of the spa facilities as very good. My wife and I had the Fijian Spa Sampler which included a sugar body scrub, massage and facial which was lovely. However, we stood around for 15 minutes waiting for our promised lift to the spa that never materialised and ended up walking. Not a bitter disappointment but it is up the far side of the complex and turned into a very sweaty 10 minute walk. Not a good start to a relatively expensive 5-star treat.

- The breakfast (included) was not of the standard we've come to expect of Shangri-La stays. Mediocre would be a good description and nowhere near the variety we're used to from the brand. If you compare this site with, say, the Bangkok branch, there's a lot left to be desired from Fiji's efforts.

- The air conditioning in our room was weak at best. Despite having it on 24/7 and on the coldest setting, I'd bet the room never dipped below 25 'C. Not restful at all.

- The cocktails at the bars were lacklustre and limited. I did expect more from a resort bar in a tropical paradise. With no shortage of high quality local fruit, this should be a no-brainer.

- This is a site that has been around for a long time but, truth be told, is starting to feel that way. While some areas look reasonable and the grounds are well kept, there is an unshakeable feeling that a lot of the resort looks and feels rather long in the tooth. The resort will be closed next year for a complete revamp and renovation. In all honesty, it's needed.

One true highpoint that must be mentioned with a member of staff going above and beyond came from an unexpected part... a groundskeeper (Binesh).

Not only did he bid my wife good morning but, when she asked if any coconuts had fallen, he asked if she wanted some. When she replied with a "sure", he climbed a nearby tree and cut down half a dozen. He then cut each open, drained the fresh, sweet water into a 1 litre bottle (probably about AUS $16 worth) and then scraped out all the jelly for her to enjoy.

All this he did not once but twice and all the time without making it seem like we were causing him any trouble at all. We submitted positive feedback for him in particular as it truly was going the extra mile.

While it's more of a good place for a stay if you have some kids in tow, I think I'd prefer to head to the Shangri-La Bangkok. The slow pace and irritating foibles make this an average experience for such a well respected brand name.

Room Tip: If you have kids, head to the lagoon view (west) side. If you are a couple, head for an ocean vie...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

First of all I’m so confused why people here writes bad reviews about this lovely place. Its either they expect way too much from the money they spent OR simply can’t please them at all.

Me and my wife visited Shangri La Fijian for 6 nights and just returned home. Having being to Maldives few times already, we weren’t expecting Maldives quality in here. If you want the extremely clear water and white sand you should head towards Mamanuca or Yasawa islands. But there are many advantages staying at the main land also. I in fact loves to interact with locals and learn about their culture.
We almost cried when we leaving because the experience we had in this hotel was that amazing. Fijian people are the nicest you will ever meet and staff will go beyond their capabilities to full fill your needs. There is no point reading about how friendly they are,, you just have to experience it firsthand.
Our flight from Melbourne landed in Nadi airport around 6 am, Hotel transfer was organised through tour managers and had no problem what so ever. Joji at the tour manager’s centre welcomed us with a big BULA and a huge smile that made me sure that my next 6 nights will be perfect.
Since we arrived at the hotel around 8am we had to wait few hours for the checking, but no worries, staff was playing guitars at the hotel entrance, which I also joined and played.
We stayed at the Ocean view rooms, outside looks old but inside if just what you after. I wouldn’t say this is a 5 star resort, more like 4 stars, but I’m not going to regret the money I spent over this. Room was very comfy bed is just out from this world. In fact me and my wife will go shopping this weekend to buy a bed exactly like that :)
We used the lagoon pool most of the time as its closer to the beach and much bigger in size. We weren’t worry about kids, as we are a very easy going couple. Para-sailing scuba diving kayaking snorkelling...you name it it’s all there and worth doing every single thing. Para sailing experiences was brilliant and I recommend taking the 7am start as there are no winds.

We tried every restaurant in this hotel and we ended up liking the Beach Bar and Grill. Kalevu restaurant can be very expensive but food was amazing. For us if we in an island we need the island experience. You can fine dine here in Melbourne. Why in an island? We were after the whole island experience and beach bar and grill is right next to the lagoon pool with an awesome view.
Adults only breakfast was served at the Takeli restaurant, we got tired after 3 days eating the same breakfast but food was amazing, big variety. You can have your eggs ordered at your table.
We took a day trip to Suva organised by the Rosie tours. Again, its a good way to experience the culture and maybe do bit of shopping at the Tapoo or MHCC shopping malls.
Most of our days spent under a coconut tree, quick dip at the pool or beach. It was the rainy season and most days it was heavy rain after 3 or 4 pm. plenty of activities in doors such as the game room. BUT we were walking in the rain as we even enjoyed that experience.
Fiji time./.....what can I say about this... Im a very open minded person..I can easily adjust to different environments..I never had any issues with this..in fact I bought a shirt saying Relax..Im on fiji time :) you in a holiday..just relax...take it easy...enjoy the long delays ..you are here to relax not to complain..we saw few people at the golden cowrie restaurant pissed at hte chef coz there meal was 40 minutes late...ours was late for 1 hour..but we had a quite drink next to the pool and enjoyed some lovely live music....by the time food arrived we were hungrier than an hour before...my tip is just have an open mind with the Fiji time and you will enjoy to the max.

Chi Spa is a must to try. It is expensive than Melbourne, but worth every dollar. I had the BOBo massage and my wife and a pampering package. This is out of this world. MUST try.
Remember to buy a bottle of BOUNTY,,fijian rum but beware its 58% alcho.. I ended up getting tipsy after 2 glasses and had half a bottle left, which I gave it to "solo" our friendly waiter at the Takeli resturant.
I can write a book about our experience but you will only know what I’m talking about when you experience in first hand. We will def return to Fiji and will stay at the Shangri La.
Just have an open mind and remember "No news No Shoes"
BULA!
P.S
How can I forget about the Black Marlin Bar..DJ sucks but come on he was really friendly and ended up playing all requests by guest...its more like classic songs in to gannam style next back to 80's...just have a drink and enjoy. Gotta love this county and its people.

Room Tip: Couples Ocean View rooms, Chi Spa, Open mid about Fiji time
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!