“A happy family holiday!” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yanuca Island
Melbourne, Australia
“A happy family holiday!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We are a family of 5, our children are aged 8,6 and 4. This was our second year staying at the Shangri La. We normally wouldn't indulge in an overseas holiday 2 years in a row but we had such a great time the first year we were desperate to go back.
To put things into perspective this is a huge resort and it does try and cater for absolutely anyone and in my opinion it does it pretty well. As a family its great to get a package where kids can stay and eat free. As a consequence of offering such deals you are going to get LOTS of kids, so i say, if you don't like kids go and stay somewhere else. Because as a family its great to feel like your kids 'fit in' rather than being a menace to people. After all its a holiday for them too.
To me Fiji's greatest assets are the picture perfect location and the people! They are beautiful and kind and welcoming. I often wonder what they think of greedy, white westerners staying at the hotel and complaining that its not clean enough or the food is to expensive. Please go and see where these people live - its incredibly basic - no white fluffy towels where they live and they don't want for much - something we could all learn a lesson from. I love the fact that the Fijian people love my children and want to touch them and kiss and cuddle them - the kids love it too and it makes us all feel welcome. One of my kids got sick this year but i very much doubt it was from being touched too much by the staff. There are a lot of kids there and we all know how efficient kids are at sharing their germs!
Was the food expensive - i think it was comparative to our prices back home. It was expensive to by basics like water from the resort but if its that important to you then go to Sigatoka and stock up because its much cheaper.
I'm very fussy when it comes to cleanliness on a holiday and i think it was fine. Perhaps not 5 star i will admit but pretty good.
All in all i recommend this place to anyone with kids wanting an easy overseas holiday. I'm not sure when we will be back but i sure hope its sooner rather than later.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Have just returned from our Wedding at Shangri-La 07/09/2012. We had 50 or so guests and everyone had a great time, it was a shame we all had to leave. Iliseva looked after all of our wedding details and she was great, as were all the staff, happy and friendy. Nothing was a problem for them. The menu for our wedding night was delicious, but the food and beverages at the bars and restaurants was a little pricey, not that it stopped anyone having a good time. As for the people who complain about too many kids, we found that it was never a problem. There's more than enough choices of Restaurants and swimming pools where there are no children, for not more than a 5 minute walk. Overall we found it was perfect for our special day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

We were supposed to have a relaxing family holiday away, the first four days were going well. The room (ocean family) was not the best, very far from shangri-la normal standard, plus dreadful bed.

The worst was yet to come. Everywhere we went, our beautiful little two year old girl went with us, and the staff loved her, and without any warning at all, would run over and rub her arms, kiss her on the face and hands, pretty much not the done thing without asking permission of the parents first.

The afternoon before we left, our daughter got sick, and I will keep this brief now, but I just hope the resort do something about this!.

Our daughter caught group A streptococcus (or staph infection), which has also been passed to both parents, the father (me) signed off work with such a severe case for the rest of the week at least (a GM in an international company) and my wife who is pregnant!.

The doctor had no hesitation to suggest that we had this disgusting infection from the touching received from the staff, and it's highly contagious elements.

Shangri-la....I strongly suggest you do two things, without haste. 1) train your staff to NOT just take it upon themselves to touch and kiss other people's children without asking parents first, 2) test all of your staff that prepare food or come into contact with guests for this infection. (all Fiji travel sites tell us, this is very common with nationals with low hygiene).

We are horrified.

• Stayed September 2012
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

My friend and I traveled to Fiji for a friends wedding at the Shangri-La!
We were very excited but massively disappointed as soon as we checked in. We were counting down the days until we could leave!

As soon as we checked in they asked for our credit card for the bond which was $1000 Fijian dollars and on top of that they charged us for using the card which was a ridiculous amount of $10, even though I had already taken care of this before i arrived they did it again and insisted it had not been taken even though I had proof!

The amount of annoying kids at this resort is an absolute joke! Especially during the buffet breakfast couldn’t even enjoy a beautiful breakfast without children crying, running around or yelling from parents! Even on the beach and around the pool was always loud and never relaxing. There is an adult pool which is on the other side of the resort and the room we stayed in took half n hour to walk too.

If you intend to get married DO NOT get married at the Shangri La they are so slow and unreliable. The hotel tries to squeeze every cent they can from you.
The make up and hair stylist they have are a joke! My best friends wedding started at 3pm they were suppose to arrive to the room at 11.30am to start hair and make up but they didn’t arrive until 3pm! Yes they arrived when the wedding was supposed to start. The stylist even burned the bridesmaids ear with the curler and didn’t apologize. That's not even half of the drama!

A bus was organized to pick the wedding guests up from reception but the bus had to do two trips because there were too many people so they charged an extra $80 Fijian dollars to drive no more than 2 minute from the reception to the chapel!
That is what this place sees their guests as just people to rip off and take advantage of.

Room service is near non existent it is slow, I had to call more than twice and wait over an hour just for bath towels to be delivered because they had not been replaced. The hotel was constantly out of the basics.
The pillow cases and sheets were never changed during the whole week we were there.

The stores in the resort are 200% more expensive, it was cheaper to get a taxi and go across the road for dinner or down town then to eat at the resort.

The Shangri-La wins the award for the most boring place I have ever been too there is nothing to do except water sports which you could easily do in a whole day!
It really should be called The Shangri-La Day Care Center, they only accommodate for family and kids. To make it worst there is nothing around the area at all you have to travel at least 15 minutes into town if you wanted to do something.

The employees get paid minimum wage of $3-$5 fijian per hour, I really feel so sorry for the way the staff are treated.
They work very long hours and always put on a smile to make everyone feel welcome and they work so hard for a crap pay! I would really love to know where all the money goes from this place! Once I found out who owns the Fijian Shangri la it all made perfect sense and it crushes me that my money went towards those type of people and not more towards the Fijians who deserve it the most.

Never ever again will I stay at this kid infested, dirty, over priced place again!
I feel sorry for those on there honey moon or those who wanted to get away for a nice relaxing, fun time away because that will not happen at this place.

The only good thing about the Shangri-la are the Fijian people, they are the most welcoming, nicest and loving people i have ever met who should be treated and paid a lot more than they do which the resort can easily do!

Room Tip: Go across the road to the Gecko's for dinner and entertainment! They are cheap, the food is amaz...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Had my daughters wedding 18/8/12 with 70 guests & it was organized to perfection!! Nothing was too much trouble for the staff; they are beautiful, gracious & happy people. The roomsl (lake view) were clean & serviced daily. The restaurants & drinks a little pricey but everything is cooked/made to order so we didn't mind. Mun (activities co-ord) fantastic, arranged many activities & they were well organized & sooooo much fun. 20 of us are Looking to travel back August 2013. Do yourself a favour, holiday & Shangri-la Fiji. BEST place for a wedding too :))

• Stayed August 2012
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We spend a week at the shangrila in an ocean view room as part of a party of 23 on an extended family break. Ages ranged from three to sixty three. We were a mix of couples with children, straight couples without kids, gay couples without kids.  We had a fantastic holiday, with the highlights being the incredible location right on the coral reef as well as the wonderful fijian people who really are so genuine and soft. Basically I got exactly what I was looking for: a relaxing, quiet, comfortable, informal break in the south pacific.

The resort is a massive sprawling complex. It does a great job of catering for both the family market and the couples without kids market. It really does feel like a 'resort within a resort' in parts. My partner and I traveling without kids got to experience both sides. The main Logoon Pool and beach area as well as the Lagoon Terrace restaurant really is where all the action for families take place. Kids galore in the pools, lots of activities going on around (crab racing etc) plenty of hubbub. We spent most of our days with our family down that end. However we tended to eat our breakfast in the (adults only) Golden Cowie restaurant and avoided the chaos of the kids running around. Not only was it child-free but it also seemed a bit more high end than the Lagoon Terrace despite both restaurants being included in the room rate for breakfast.

There was also an adults only pool (this rule seemed to be enforced) about ten minutes walk away from the main lagoon area. This seemed an area of tranquility and calm. Even further beyond this pool (15 min walk) was the infinity pool which although not adults only was very quiet compared to the main pool area. At the very end of the complex is the golf club and well equipped gym.

Lunch was great value at the Lagoon Restaurant. An all you can eat buffet was only F35. But for some reason pretty much the same offering was over double the price at dinner time.

We went for two evening meals at Gecko Resort across from the Shangri-la. Not only was it a lot cheaper but I felt the a la carte food was a lot better also. Although the food was great on both nights, the second time we went service was extremely slow. I think they were a bit overwhelmed as they were totally full. If you do happen to go on one of the nights when they have entertainment make sure you book your table in advance. We saw people being turned away that hadn't.

However, I really cannot see how the Shangri-la can be considered a five star resort.  In honesty, I think by today's international standards it would probably struggle to reach a four star standard. The location and the service is undoubtably five star. But the resort itself - public areas, restaurants, rooms, general hotel corridors and building are most definitely not. Fifteen years ago, maybe. But it just seems that not a lot of upkeep has really been done since then. The lobby and restaurants are fine, the rooms are comfortable enough. The beds were comfy, the air conditioning worked a treat and the view from the balcony was spectacular. But if you are a couple looking for high end five star luxury with lots of little treats and luxurious touches, you will be disappointed.  However if you are looking for a relaxing break with friendly service in a sublime location, this is your place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Bula :) Firstly, i'd like to let everyone know how BEAUTIFUL fiji is! The Shangri-La is stunning. Its such a welcoming resort, we didnt have any troubles! We were there for 11 nights, 35 of our closest friends and family also came overto watch us say "I DO" . Our guest stayed for 7 nights. Its such a wonderful resort! kind people! The baby sitters are so loving, I had Adi-Cea (pronounced Andy). She was so great with my 15 month old! baby sitting is so cheap too, FJD$24 for first 3 hours and $7 fjd each additional hour. I ALWAYS tipped them, they do a wonderful job. Also Manny who works there, i have to give him 2 thumbs up, he was working at the bilo bar and marlin bar too. He is such a great man! He took a few of us into sikatoka, got us in there for 30 cents each(he even offered to pay for us, but we wouldnt let him), he got us cheap rugby jerseys, and was the nicest bloke you'll ever meet.
Also for those planning a wedding or thinking about it, DO IT! The best wedding! we had the greatest time, fire dancers, dj, seranades, chior. it was an amazing day. If yous need help planning the wedding on face book there is a group call "I was married in fiji" all brides sharing information and experience :)

i cant fault the shangri la, it was great, we all enjoyed it, it was so much fun and relaxing!

Room Tip: we were in a standard ocean veiw room. was still beautiful and house keeping came through twice a da...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!