We are a family of 5, our children are aged 8,6 and 4. This was our second year staying at the Shangri La. We normally wouldn't indulge in an overseas holiday 2 years in a row but we had such a great time the first year we were desperate to go back.
To put things into perspective this is a huge resort and it does try and cater for absolutely anyone and in my opinion it does it pretty well. As a family its great to get a package where kids can stay and eat free. As a consequence of offering such deals you are going to get LOTS of kids, so i say, if you don't like kids go and stay somewhere else. Because as a family its great to feel like your kids 'fit in' rather than being a menace to people. After all its a holiday for them too.
To me Fiji's greatest assets are the picture perfect location and the people! They are beautiful and kind and welcoming. I often wonder what they think of greedy, white westerners staying at the hotel and complaining that its not clean enough or the food is to expensive. Please go and see where these people live - its incredibly basic - no white fluffy towels where they live and they don't want for much - something we could all learn a lesson from. I love the fact that the Fijian people love my children and want to touch them and kiss and cuddle them - the kids love it too and it makes us all feel welcome. One of my kids got sick this year but i very much doubt it was from being touched too much by the staff. There are a lot of kids there and we all know how efficient kids are at sharing their germs!
Was the food expensive - i think it was comparative to our prices back home. It was expensive to by basics like water from the resort but if its that important to you then go to Sigatoka and stock up because its much cheaper.
I'm very fussy when it comes to cleanliness on a holiday and i think it was fine. Perhaps not 5 star i will admit but pretty good.
All in all i recommend this place to anyone with kids wanting an easy overseas holiday. I'm not sure when we will be back but i sure hope its sooner rather than later.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The resort is exclusively located on the beautiful 109-acre private Yanuca Island with its pure white sandy beach and crystal clear, coral rich seas of the exotic Fiji Islands. Only 45 minutes from Nadi International Airport, the island is connected from the mainland by a causeway.A traditional Fijian village is the inspiration behind the layout of the 442-room resort. Every guest room, suite and bure features a private balcony with spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean or the resort’s lagoon. Unlimited wired broadband Internet access is complimentary in all rooms. The Resort offers a range of activities, including water sports, scuba diving and golf, and a popular Kid's Club. A wide range of dining options are available, from Pacific Rim fine dining to informal fun dining at the poolside. Cultural shows highlight Fijian lovo, meke and firewalking rituals, South Pacific and Fijian Fire dancers.CHI, The Spa is a secluded spa village set away from the main resort, and provides the privacy and luxury of the largest Spa villas in Fiji. Four Oceanview and two Rainforest treatment villas feature relaxation areas overlooking either the Pacific Ocean or an exotic rainforest, with private garden patios, outdoor bath tubs, herbal steam room and outdoor showers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Agoda, Travelocity, Odigeo, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Fijian Hotel Yanuca Island
- Fiji Shangri La Resort
- Shangri La Fijian Resort
- Shangri Las Fijian Resort
- Shangri Las Fijian Hotel
- Fiji Shangri La Hotel
- Fiji La Shangri
- Fijian La Resort Shangri
- Fiji La Resort Shangri
- Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa Fiji/Yanuca Island