“Overstretched, Tired and Overbooked” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
Advance Purchase
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yanuca Island
canberra
“Overstretched, Tired and Overbooked”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed for 10 nights during the October school holiday period. The resort itself is in a beautiful position on the coral coast, however, for facilities, service and quality go to Outrigger up the road. I can only make comparisons as we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there 100% whilst the Shangri la was patchy at 60% with it really struggling to be more than a 3.5 star. It seemed packed with children which is fine because we had one ourselves, however, the resort could not cope with the total number of people there when it was booked out. There were constant reminders of this, running out of pool towels, not enough loungers, booking spa and restaurants 3 days ahead to get in. Lots of peeling paint, leaking gutters, pool tiles falling off and mould. It's not a very "Fijian" experience which is fine for those first timers who don't know how nice it can be to stay in a resort that celebrates its culture a bit more.

We had an ocean view room in the Coral wing which was too noisy from doors being slammed and late night partying from wedding groups and asked to be moved the next day to an ocean view room in the Golden Cowrie wing which was close and quiet. The air conditioning and phone did not work when we checked in but these were fixed. The air conditioning again packed it in on our 2nd last night and again was fixed but this is a basic requirement and waiting around at 11pm for this to be done was a pain. Other basics for a 5 star hotel ie. mini bar, slippers (not reusable rubber thongs), dry cleaning service (they only wash and fold) and a bath were missing from the room. The view was beautiful from the balcony though. Maid services were patchy. Some days we got face washers, others we didn't, 2 towels for 3 people then one day she left her dustpan and broom on our coffee table.

We had breakfast included and could use the Takali or Lagoon buffets for our child to eat free. The Takali was quieter but less variety. The Lagoon was a mission in itself. Not much fresh fruit apart from watermelon, pineapple and papaya every day (bananas scarce). Egg station was omelettes to order and what they call a poached egg. An egg set in a mould with spray oil set over a pot of boiling water and cooked until rock hard. This is not a poached egg! Bacon was the scrap strips all mushed up and everything else seemed tinned (even the tomatoes) or premade from frozen. Same thing everyday. Bread for the toaster was white or wholemeal. No fruit toast or wholegrains of any description. Kids and adults were frequently using their hands for everything even when tongs were there. I saw one child put her whole hand over a round of camembert cheese and proceeded to cut herself a wedge with her mother looking on! I can see where these reviews about sickness stem from. Plates ran out and they finally got some and then no juice glasses. The following day there were plastic disposable cups for juice and I never saw glasses again for the rest of our stay. In short, it was cheap, cheap. Think Sizzler/Coles cafeteria. Outrigger had real poached eggs to order, fresh fruit chopped up to order, smoothie shots and fresh juices to order and a variety of different omelettes and hot food each day. Not to mention, oh my god, about 7 different types of bread for toast! Outrigger dinner buffet was also a different theme each night eg. Mexican, Italian, Meke and Lovo, Indian etc. At Shangri la its just "international" exactly the same each night with a few tweeks. But mainly pasta, pizza, roasts and salad and veg. Very noisy and the roaming singers were stretched to be heard and their appearances very sparodic. A noisy place.

The lagoon pool was hogged by people saving chairs all day with towels for their children who never sat down which exacerbated the shortage. Parasailing and banana boat were fun but you had to pay for that. We took our own snorkels and flippers and were thankful because we could go anytime. Their lifejackets are filthy and need replacement.

I didn't like the fact that you had to go to the Lagoon restaurant for your child to eat lunch free. At Outrigger you can order drinks, food poolside (without having to go and get changed etc) for lunch with kids eating free. Ice-cream also was free for kids dessert. This is not the case at Shangri La for lunchtime. At dinner time it is but only when the kids are there with paying adults at $80 FJD a head. I didn't see value in the dinner buffet and the other restaurants were better and kids meals about $10FJD so works out about the same price but you keep your sanity.

Overall the staff are helpful and I didn't find anyone rude (just a bit slack sometimes). I just didn't feel we got what we paid for. Our child loved it but kids don't see cleanliness, food standard/variety or service. As I am the one paying the bill, my choice is not the Shangri la and I would not stay again. I will wait next time until there is a vacancy at the Outrigger than stay here again.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Spent 6 days here for part of honeymoon. Started off trip in executive suite, which seemed to be very tired and dirty looking. I couldn't help but be totally grossed out by scum in bathroom and dirty floors. The bedding was always very damp. We decide to upgrade to an ocean bure which was much much better.

Views..spectacular

Food....literally spent all 6 days with terrible diarrhea. It seemed as though every single time I ate something, I was immediately running to the washroom.

Speaking of washrooms...our shower didn't drain in ocean bure room which resulted in a mini flood of our room....very annoying.

Staff.....although there were a few staff members who were very pleasant and genuine, I felt that the "bulas" we're forced and not genuine..a lot of the staff seemed miserable and I found most of them to be quite rude.

Overall, not too impressed with our experience. Considering this is a "5 star" hotel, I was expecting a lot more. Would not come back or suggest this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

If I wanted to sit amongst hundreds of sunburnt Australians, I would have stayed home.
We visited this 'place' for a day, visiting friends, whilst staying at Sonaisali Island Resort (closer to Nadi).....
Where we stayed, I met people from all over the world -
Shangri-la must translate into "heaving mass".......
Security to enter was by two road 'checpoints" - it was like visiting someone in jail....

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I thought that the resort was excellent. The buffet was great and I had it every night and there was always something new. The kids eat free offer was great.
The staff were very nice especially Lucy at the beach bar and grill they always wanted to help.
The rooms were cleaned every day during the day and sometimes again at night. They gave clean towels each day and made all the beds.
I went with my brother, dad and family friends. The 4 kids where 14, 12, 8 and 11 we all had fun and there was something to do at all times.
It was a fantastic holiday! We will definitely look at coming back.

• Stayed October 2011
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

If you want somewhere quiet & relaxing, this is not the resort to go to. Theres heaps to do for adults, kids & families. We could not talk our kids into the kids club but after a couple of days they had all met other kids & we had to round them up for lunch & dinner. The staff are friendly, my kids were shocked at how nice they were (something society has lost). We will definately go back, we have met some great people including some of the villagers who welcome you into their homes & have invited us back to stay with them whenever we choose. A few little annoyances here & there but really nothing worth mentioning. Heaps of kids & families & if you were a honeymooner you would be better off on the more romantic islands. We have already booked in for next year.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Gold Coast. Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We have just returned from 9 days at the Shangri la Fiji and it was wonderful. We stayed there 8 years ago and wondered if it was still as nice and it was. The staff are very friendly and the grounds are beautiful. We stayed in the Ocean view rooms near the Coral cafe and pool it was lovely and quiet. My daughter and her family also stayed in the Ocean view rooms. They were serviced daily and the staff decorated my grandaughters teddy with flowers it was so cute.
The food was very good in the Bar & Grill and the Takali restaurant and the Bilo bar had wonderful cocktails. Disappointed with the Golden Cowrie restaurant food very average lovely decor but need to improve the food. Coral cafe had lovely meals for lunch and snacks but the BBQ night was not worth the money over priced for what you had.
A tip if you want Chocolate or potato chips take them with you, a large packet of Smiths crisps was $6 aus and chocolate was over double what you pay at home, also take any nibbles you may want in your room. You can take them over there as long as they are packaged. Also a trip into Sigatoka to the supermarket is worth it to stock up on drinks water ect. Was looking forward to bananas and mango's but disappointed no mangos and only had bananas 2 mornings for breakfast. Breakfast at the Takali restaurant was a lovely buffet and lots to eat.
My husband is a Scuba diver and went on 2 dives and thought they where wonderful lots to see.
We would recommend if you have children and can afford the extra book a suite otherwise you room in together and it can be a little cramped.
We will definately be returning to the Shangri la it was a lovely relaxing holiday.
Just remember when you go to Fiji everything runs at "Fiji time" so don't expect fast service. Chill out and relax and enjoy your holiday.

Room Tip: The Ocean view rooms are best if you want quiet. If you have small children the Lagoon rooms.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I was a solo traveller, part of a wedding party. I thought the resort was fantastic, to me I consider it to be quite modern and quality of the builidings/rooms to be fine.

I went for a friends wedding which was fantastic, went off without a hitch! The staff were great and very friendly, and always willing to help. Although I must say that saying "Bula!" after walking past a staff member everytime gets a bit annoying- but hey! they are friendly.

I stayed in a Lagoon View room, on my own, and found it very quiet. Yes, if you are in your room during the day it is noisy as you are right near the Lagoon pool - but why would you be in your room during the day?!?!?

The food was great quality and the price was very reasonable - if you don't have the meal plan, don't eat at the buffet (unless thats what you want!) the other resturants are far more affordable. I could not fault the food it was delicious! I even put on 1kg !!

Prices are very similar to those in Australia, if not slightly cheaper, you don't come to a resort in Fiji to save money and get a "bargin"!

And those who complain about there being too many children, perhaps do your research before you decided to stay somewhere - this is a kids friendly resort! Like I am guessing most are in Fiji, I never found the kids to be too much, yes the can be annoying, but they are annoying everywhere - and if it really is an issue, stay to the adults only areas like we did.

Oh! and if you are into cocktails you can't go past a Polynesian Iced Tea!!

Room Tip: To me there is no difference between the quietness of rooms, as all the pools close at 6pm. However...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!