“Great Getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sonaisali Island Resort Fiji

Save Saved
You added Sonaisali Island Resort Fiji to your Saves list
Sonaisali Island Resort Fiji
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Sonaisali Island Coral Coast | P.O.BOX 2544, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Great Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

After a stressful few months at work without a break, my partner and I decided to take a 4 day holiday at Sonaisali. From the time we arrived we were made to feel at home by their beautiful staff ..... relaxation was my goal and the resort, its staff and environment did it for me !

A special mention and thank you goes out the the team at the Spa and Plantation Restaurant. The best spa treatment that we have had and the food and service at the restaurant was simply amazing.

The friendly greetings and feeling remained with us throughout our stay there, we would definitely come back again.. perhaps this time for a longer stay... Thank You Sonaisali.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SIRGM, Executive Director at Sonaisali Island Resort Fiji, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Bula,

Many thanks for your delightful review.

You and your partner clearly relaxed and enjoyed your relatively short 4-day stay at Sonaisali and in particular, thoroughly appreciated our Plantation Fine Dining Restaurant and Frangipani Spa.

You may not be aware that Plantation was the recipient of the Trip Advisor, Certificate of Excellent Award, 2012 as testament to exceptional ratings and high level of customer feedback.

You have also highlighted the friendliness of our greatest asset – The fantastic team of Sonaisali staff – is also routinely acknowledged throughout these reviews.

Yes. Definitely time to consider a longer stay!
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be assistance with your booking.

We look forward to Welcoming you back to the Resort for what I’m sure will be a well-earned break.

Jan McGrath

1,173 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We were extremely excited to visit Fiji for the first time and believed that the value for money we had received from the MyFiji package exceeded our expectations however we were utterly wrong. We had great service from the MyFiji crew however I don't believe they are fully aware of the poor state of the resort after the recent cyclone. The Cyclone pretty much destroyed everything however it was visibly clear to us the staff were working their hardest to get the resort back on track. The watersports equipment was unavailable - only 2 jetskis were still operable and in very poor mechanical state...possibly even dangerous. The package that we had included a sunset cruise on the catamaran sailing boat, however on the evening we were booked, the boat was deemed unservicable and the trip was cancelled. We were not offered any sort of refund/alternative activity. Even something such as an hour of free drinks at the bar may have gone a long way with the guests. The beachfront bures were ok however the airconditioning did not work at all and dripped litres of water all over the floor. The toilet did not flush and when we complained on numerous occasions, we were just told to open the cistern and fill it with water to flush it everytime we used the toilet. It was never fixed the entire time we were there. The housekeeping staff rarely changed our towels and then lied that they had when we questioned them. The best part about the holiday was the outstation trips to the islands and the moment we touched down back in Brisbane. Personally I would go back to Fiji as I love the country however I would never ever make the mistake of staying at this resort again. At the end of the trip, we were sick of being given the excuse of everything being wrong because of the cyclone. We didn't want to hear excuses, we just wanted to see solutions.

Room Tip: Specifically request a new room or hotel room instead of bure
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bula Ashwin,

We are very disappointed that you did not enjoy your vacation booked through myfii.com. and for this we sincerely apologise. I have noted the comments in your review and wish to qualify some of your statements.

Firstly, the cyclone which the Resort experienced on December 17th, 2012, did not “pretty much destroy everything.” Damage was confined to landscaped areas only. Services throughout Fiji were disrupted during the period (power, water, telecommunications). The disruptions were beyond the control of the Resort, and were highly publicised in the media and throughout the travel industry.

Had you chosen to defer travel in the aftermath of the cyclone, you could have done so without financial detriment.

It is regretted that some of our jet skiis were temporarily out of service for repair during your stay. Whenever the Resort’s 35ft luxury catamaran is unavailable for a scheduled Sunset Cruise, an alternative is offered. We have no explanation as to why you may have been overlooked in this instance, but deeply apologise if this was the case. We note, however, that your package also included a free Jungle Cruise and Invitation to one hour free drinks at the General Manager’s Cocktail Party.

We are pleased that you were satisfied with your accommodation, but regret that you experienced maintenance issues. The Resort employs a full and highly qualified maintenance staff – available 24hours for essential maintenance. It is highly unlikely that any SIR staff member instructed you to open a cistern to manually flush a toilet.

All Guest feedback is import to us in our attempts to improve upon service and facilities and we thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Travelers are raving about these Sonaisali Island hotels

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My family and I stayed in the oceanview for 6 nights. We bought the deal from Scoopon and I must say that the price we pay is a good value. I read about the bad reviews of this resort after we bought the voucher and I was quite worried about our holiday which will end up a disaster but to my surprise it went really good. All of us had a good time in this resort.
Firstly, the staff were all so friendly and everyone you meet, they will greet you with a 'Bula' which means Hi. I have a 2 years old and a 4 months old girls with me and I never encounter staff who loves kids so much so they will come and ask their names, talk to them and give them a kiss. Some would even offer to carry my baby while I eat at their restaurant. We felt welcome by the staff in this resort. Secondly, our bure is big and clean eventhough its a little old. The air conditioning is very bad cos the unit is way too small for the big place. It would be good if they could do some refurbishment on their bures especially they need to change their mattresses soon cos it didn't feel good sleeping on them. I found lizards and spiders in the room but what can we do? It's a tropical island.
Thirdly, the food in this resort is quite limited but they do chefs specials everyday and they offer different cultures buffet on some nights. My daughter had free meals which was good. Fourthly, the swimming pool is clean and we enjoyed our time in the pool bar. The surface of the floor is a bit rough so be extra careful while swimming cos you might cut yourself. Oh I love the view from the reception and the restaurant. The swimming pool overlooking the sea. Be it in the day time, sunset or during the night. So beautiful. I will try and post some photos I took. Yes you can't swim in the sea cos it's muddy and the water is murky. Can't blame this resort. Instead, we booked a all day cruise to Tivua Island from the tour and we had a great time there. This resort actually offers different activities that you could do eg. Sunset cruise, horse riding, pool volleyball, frog race, fire walking, river cruise, shopping trip to Nadi and Denarau, free scuba diving and a lot more. Some with a fee and some are free. So my advise is do plan out the activities with the staff when you arrive at this resort.
Lastly, we were quite sad to leave Sonaisali cos we had a good time there. Will definitely miss the friendly staff. Will I go back? A very high possibility that I would and this time I will stay in the hotel room instead of the bure.

Room Tip: Stay in the bures if you are travelling as a family. Very spacious. If not, I would recommend the ho...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
SIRGM, Executive Director at Sonaisali Island Resort Fiji, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Bula Mandy,

Lovely to receive your very positive posting Mandy, and on behalf of Management and staff of the Resort, we thank you most sincerely for the feedback.

You’ve highlighted the very caring and friendly attitude of our staff, in particular towards children and this has been noted by many fellow Guests.

We note your comments in relation to the bure air conditioning units, which do work under pressure in the hot, humid conditions, particularly if the room is not properly closed. We regret that you found the mattress uncomfortable and will review the particular mattress you have identified.

We also regret that you found menu choices limited across the choice of Restaurants, but also appreciate your acknowledgement of our daily “specials” and 3-weekly themed Buffet presentations in addition to al-la-carte dining simultaneously available.

You clearly took advantage of the many Activities available both on and off the island and your advice to plan your stay in advance with our Activities Department is a great suggestion for Guests upon arrival.

You mention a return visit as “a very high possibility”.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may assist you personally with your booking.
We would look forward to Welcoming you back to Sonaisali in the not-too-distant future.

With warm regards,

Jan McGrath
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

After searching for the best possible package deal to Fiji we found the MyFiji website and were surprised at the low price of the package for a 10 night stay at Sonaisali.
We arrived at sunset and were thrilled to find a gorgeous resort, friendly staff and the welcome cocktail we were promised.
Our Bure was the biggest room/apartment we had ever stayed in and the whole resort was paradise to walk around in.
We lazed around the pool, drank cocktails and enjoyed all the cruises and extras that our package included.
It was easily the best holiday we'd ever been on!

Room Tip: Our oceanview Bure was 1 'row' back from the water. Choose the ocean front Bure's if tra...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Wollongong, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Water unswimmable, food uneadible, pool filthy, kids club hopeless. Bitterly disappointed, we had not had a holiday in 6 years and ended up staying here after travel agent did not book our accomodation and we had to stay at the only place with vacancy (that should have read alarm bells).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bula Nadine,

We too are very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and for this we sincerely apologise. I further regret that I did not have an opportunity to meet you during the course of your stay in order to address some of your concerns.

For your information, Fiji was not heavily booked in February (low season) and I can assure you there were many alternative Resort options available to you in the period.

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband & I recently stayed for 5 nights in an OCean Front Spa Bure. I must admit after reading some very negative reviews on this resort, I was concerned about our choice of holiday destination. However, after staying at this resort I can only sing its praises. People need to remember that a cyclone hit Fiji in Decmeber- the rebuilding & ckleaning process is going to take time. Our Bure was clean & comfortable, definately not 5 star- but the resort doesnt pretend to be 5 star. The beaches in this area are Black sand beaches, so they will never look like the beaches of Thailand or Tahiti- even the beaches in the 5 star resorts in Denarau are black sand. I cant believe people have complained about the water in the ocean- what would you have the management do about this?. The pool was cleaned daily- and lovely. We chose not to buy the meal package- at the end of our stay I calculated that we made the right decision- we dont eat 3 course meals at home ,so we were happy to order one course for lunch & dinner. The breakfast was a continental breakfast- with an option to pay more for a cooked breakfast- it was ok- not the best I have had- but far from the worse.
At the end of the day though- it is the staff that make this resort- we were greeted by Bula everywhere we went- lots of smiles & always lovely Fijian singing going on.
Yes this resort is in need of a soft refurbishment- the management acknowledge this. But i was more than happy with my room , the restaurant, the pool & the facilities. I should also say that after our stay at Sonaisali we stayed for 3 nights at a 5 star resort in Denarau. Whilst the room was lovely-it was just a room-that could have been on any beach anywhere in the world- the resort lacked the Fijian Hospitality that we had fallen in love with at Sonaisali. We will definately be going back to Sonaisali.

Room Tip: Most of the Beach front rooms have been refurbished- they are very nice. The Beach Front Bures are h...
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your refreshingly balanced posting. As you have pointed out, Trip Advisor is a forum which requires a balanced assessment of the views offered. Whilst Guest feedback is highly appreciated we also welcome the opportunity to respond accordingly.

You clearly made full use of the Resort’s “lovely” pool during the course of your stay and were appreciative of your “clean and comfortable” bure accommodation.

Your high praise for our wonderful staff is a sentiment constantly repeated in reviews; smiles, a huge “Bula” greeting and constant singing, is indeed the order of the day throughout the Resort.

We have noted your comments in relation to soft refurbishment and Continental Breakfast and appreciate your feedback in relation to both. We would like to invite you to become a Sonaisali Facebook Fan to enable you to follow regular updates at the Resort:

In short, the highlight of your stay was clearly the true “Fijian Hospitality” experienced on Sonaisali which distinguishes the Resort from more corporate-style properties. Management and staff of the Resort pride themselves on delivering an authentic holiday experience to our valued clientele.

We look forward to Welcoming you back to Sonaisali in the not-too-distant future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would like to take the opportunity to meet you personally.

Jan McGrath.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We were relocated to this hotel because of the cyclone as our original choice The Westin was closed. It sounded fine as it is rated 4star but it is most definitely not.The Bure itself was quite spacious and the furnishings basic however at the end of the 5 day stay we noticed the state of the mattress which was badly stained.As you are staying on an island which sounds romantic there are drawbacks as you will use the hotel restaurant unless you want to travel by ferry then taxi,about an hour to the nearest town.
On the positive side the staff were very friendly and helpful , the manager told us refurbishment is due shortly . I just wish we had gone after the changes!

Room Tip: Don't stay unless refurbished. Buy food package if staying longer than a few days.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SIRGM, Executive Director at Sonaisali Island Resort Fiji, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

At Sonaisali we welcome all feedback in our endeavours to improve service and Guest satisfaction and we thank you for your contribution in this regard.

Your concerns raised in relation to the stained mattress have been duly noted. Thank you for
bringing the matter to our attention.

While we are disappointed that the Resort did not meet your expectation, we would comment,
however, that the 11km drive from the Resort to the (main) Nadi town takes approximately 15-20 minutes, not one hour. Port Denarau also, the location of many restaurants, 5-star Hotels and shopping mall, is easily accessible by road in approximately 30minutes, depending on traffic.

Many Guests choose Sonaisali because of its private island location - ease of accessibility to both the main island of Viti Levu, the international airport (transfers to the island within 40 minutes) - and 24hr,free boat transfers just 300 meters across our delightful lagoon to the mainland.

We thank you most'sincerely for your complimentary remarks both in relation to our "quite
spacious" bure accommodation - and also our best asset - Sonaisali's "very friendly and helpful" staff.

Thank you bnce again for taking the time to post your comments.

Tropical regards,

Been to Sonaisali Island Resort Fiji? Share your experiences!