“Perfect sunsets, great service” 5 of 5 stars

Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Resort Drive, Denarau Island, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Invercargill
“Perfect sunsets, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Have just returned as a family from Radisson with a 10 and 12 year old who loved the place, lots of kids in pools, plenty to do and kids free to eat when with an adult at breakfast and dinner. Lunch menu at pool fantastic food, around $15-$17 Fijian. Kids club looked for geckos, frogs etc and was fun.
Rooms big and have a washer and dryer, massive bed, and our one bedroom lagoon view had the couch as the other bed but they also bought another single bed down at no extra cost, and the room is big enough to have it in there. Very quiet rooms.
Great welcome as you arrive and they have you seated to do check in, no lines or standing around.
We went on the Friday 10-12 trip to their Adopt a school and this was extremely worthwhile and very humbling. We took books, rugby balls and a pump and these were good choices. Wish we had taken netballs as well...these kids have very very little and anything is graciously accepted. Tennis courts close and you could walk to the marina in 15 minutes.
Two for the price of one cocktails 4-6pm, $12-$15 Fijian and you are watching an amazing sunset on a deck by the sea. Fish and chips from Takeaway Hut are to die for, think it is mahimahi and it is delicious. Have stayed at many places at Denarau but this is definitely the best for families, plus as an adult there is a pool for adults only, and a garden with round day beds for quiet time for adults. In the afternoon a Fijian runs around with cool facecloths, then sunscreen and then fruit sticks, all for free. Fabulous staff, men at front happy, helpful and great sense of humour, plus generous with their hugs!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear stod100

Warm greetings from the team at Radisson Blu! Thank you for your amazing review of our property - we appreciate the time taken and the recommendation to others.

It certainly sounds as if we assisted in creating a great family holiday for you and your children - happy children, happy parents! I do hope that you had a few opportunities to enjoy our "perfect" sunsets with a cocktail in hand and that our new adults only relaxation zone was indeed.....relaxing.

A final thank you for bringing over school donations for our beautiful Fijian children. Just for other guests information, we offer a school visit every Friday during school term time to one of of our "adopted" schools that we assist with through our Adopt a School programme. I'm sure rugby balls would have been a huge hit and hopefully your children had an opportunity to play rugby with the students during their time there.

Gerard Knight General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Korean first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights during school holidays and it was extremely busy. The pools were crowded but my son loved the water slide and pool side drink service was good! Like others mention it was a battle for the pool side chairs most were taken by 930 am by people leaving towels and going elsewhere. The food was disappointing for the price,after the first night we ate dinner out of the resort at either the marina or the golf club that was a short walk away. The breaky was not too bad but the egg station was slow and the chef looked like he would prefer to be somewhere else! We did not use the kids club,it seemed well run and all activity staff were very friendly with all kids they saw around the resort. The room was clean but a little noisy, friends stayed in a suite that had much better views and more space for kids. The stay was good but not good enough to stay again next time, we will stay elsewhere and walk or catch the Bulla Bus to use other resort facilities if we choose.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Marysa1

Warm greetings from Fiji and a big Bula from our team here at Radisson Blu! Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor comments.

I'm obviously always disappointed when guests leave after having a less than perfect stay so I genuinely apologise for any shortcomings during your time with us. Yes, we have had a busy few weeks as have all the resorts on Denarau. We try very hard to accommodate all guests around the pool and have increased our number of sun loungers for this particular period substantially. I'm glad your son enjoyed the water slide (always a huge hit!) and found the pool side service to be good. I do hope cocktails were on the menu!

I would love to think that you may give us another opportunity to show that we are a fantastic holiday destination and you may consider choosing to stay with us again.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We have just spent 3 nights here after a week on an Island. This resort was not for us. Yes rooms are spacious and well appointed ( we had a one bedroom apartment), and very clean but it lacked atmosphere and could have been a resort anywhere. We had 2 kids with us who slept on a pull out and single bed in in the lounge room, it was big enough to do this and not feel cramped. Rooms were had big comfy beds, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer , microwave, stove top and plenty off cutlery,crockery and glass ware. Lovely toiletries and housekeeping did a great job servicing room. Resort was clean but very busy and sun lounges right on top of each other. Buffet was crazy at breakfast and although freshly cooked omelettes were yum I was underwhelmed with the rest and I hated that the tea and coffee was self serve as either had cold tea or cold breakfast depending on what order I served myself. Food at other Restaurants was good . Cross restaurant was our highlight ...food was fantastic and our waiter Apolossi is an absolute asset to the resort.
There is an adults only pool and I do respect that this is done to ensure a quiet kid free space, however I was extremely annoyed and embarrassed when a member of the activities team came out of her way to ask my 10 year old son who was laying on my sunbed next to me reading his book in total silence to leave but ignored the group of 20 something that we're loud, consuming plenty of alcohol and smoking ( pool is non smoking) just because they met the age criteria. The same team member the next afternoon also told my 13 year old to get out of the spa ( it was 6 pm and there was no one else in area except the family with 4 children in the other spa .. Who were ignored) ... My 13 year old was charged as an adult in room rate and for meals at restaurants but apparently that does not allow him adult privileges. They also advertise free Wifi ... Be patient and consistent... First day not able to get on and no help from hotel, just a claim system was down, next morning still not working so back to the front desk where I was put through to an external help desk and my devices were configured and wifi allowed until checkout , 20 minutes wasted and no real explanation. Wifi was required as although we were on holiday it was needed for work commitments... Don't advertise it if you can't supply it.
Overall this resort will suit some people but it wasn't for us....but I'm not sure Denarau is either.

Bula Tmdl2014

We appreciate your review of our property and am only disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. I do hope that you had an amazing time staying on one of of our beautiful Fijian Islands and that this suited your holiday requirements better than our resort here on Denarau. We have to be honest and realise that our location does not suit all guests wanting a Fijian holiday.

I'm glad that you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable and have taken note of your experience at breakfast time and time around the pool - you certainly stayed at the busiest time perhaps of the entire year and we try hard to accommodate by placing extra sun loungers to ensure all guests are comfortable. Our Adults Only pool is definitely adults only. After receiving criticism from previous guests on this policy not being "policed" adequately we have definitely increased our efforts. It is only unfortunate that you were there at a time when an adult group should have been (and weren't) cautioned for loud behaviour. I do apologise that this and any other shortcomings during your stay.

All in all, I do hope that you left Fiji with some wonderful family memories and that if you return you will find accommodation that is ideally suited to your desires - Fiji really is a lovely holiday destination with many choices to suit everyone.

Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Our family stayed in Radission and Denarau for the first time. This resort targets families with children and our son had a great time at the pool and joining the kids's program. The adult pool is a plus when parents want to take a breather when their kids are doing the programs.

The downside of this resort is the food. We would have liked to enjoy better cuisines instead of loads of food just to get full (although kids eat for free for buffets). I think the chef at Water Cross restaurant never had real Asian food. The restaurants here are definitely not at an international level.

I've also noticed that the housekeeping staffs are quite noisy in early mornings. Service equipments should be kept away from guests' eyes because it ruins the resort experience.

All in all, the staff here are super friendly and well trained and we enjoyed our first stay in Radission. We wish to come back in the next opportunity.

Room Tip: For quiet rooms, keep away from the pools and beach. 2F and up recommended for brighter rooms with b...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Bula zohel

On behalf of the team here at Radisson Blu we thank you for choosing to stay with us. I'm especially pleased that you wish to return at the next opportunity. Vinaka!

It sounds as if you managed to enjoy the Adults Only pool whilst your son was being entertained - being a parent you don't necessarily get many opportunities like that! I did take note of your observations on our food offerings - we generally receive good comments on our menu at Watercourt so I genuinely apologise that it didn't meet your expectations. I have also talked to the Executive Housekeeper about noise levels early in the morning. I do hope this did not negatively impact on your stay with us.

zohel, we look forward to welcoming you back to Denarau and to our property soon. In the meantime

Camden, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This resort is for families with young children. Very young children! I would not recommend it if you want peace and quiet as the children were very vocal all day! The main pool was over run with them screaming and I mean screaming! The so called token adults only pool was only a very small area which was an extension of the main pool area and is only separated by some rocks so you really couldn't get away from the noise. We had a massage but the day spa is in the middle of the kids pool area so all you could hear again was screaming children. The relaxing music could not drown out the noise. Not sure why you would locate a day spa in this area when there would be a more suitable location elsewhere in the resort. The resort was also very cramped and crowded as they have tried to fit too much in to the common areas where the pools and restaurants are. The rooms are on three levels and our room was nice enough. Had a little balcony which had a glimpse of the ocean. The bathroom was fitted out well, the bed comfortable and there were some unexpected extras such as robes and bottled drinking water each day. The staff were friendly and accommodating. Archie makes a mean Mojito the best we tasted in Fiji. The manager spoke with us a couple of times asking pertinent customer service type questions and remembered us the next day so followed up re our restaurant booking. There are 4 restaurants - we only ate at two and the food was good (Asian and Pizza). Again if you want a quiet dinner avoid the main restaurant which is children focussed as they have 'hamburger building nights' and 'build your own sandwich'. We had breakfast there twice once a la carte and we had to wait at least 45 min for our eggs and only after we enquired were they brought out to us. The did bring a complimentary plate of fruit but as we were in hurry (going on a day trip) we didn't get to eat much of it. The other morning we had the buffet breakfast and it was chaotic! Kids running around everywhere piling up their plates with food they were never going to eat. I was waiting for an accident to happen like one of them being scolded with hot water or tripping over. The set up was disjointed with some food items in very strange places like the berry compote at the egg cooking counter so people were constantly pushing through the line to get things. We did check out the other resorts at Denarau. The Wyndham next door looked modern with an inviting beach side very large pool area and a beach bar. We ate at the Mexican restaurant and the food was fabulous. We have stayed at the Westin before which I would recommend. We did a walk through the Sofitel where the beach side pool and grounds were spacious and lovely. They too had an adults only pool area which was away from the main pool. A Taxi to airport from Denarau takes about half and hour and costs $45. There are frequent buses into Port Denarau where there are some nice coffee shops, restaurants and retail stores. We walked into the port and it took about half hour. Next time we stay at Denarau we will stay at the Wyndham or the Sofitel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 381 on the third floor close to the beachfront so you could not hear the noise fro...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Bula Karen M

We appreciate you taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about your stay with us here at Radisson Blu. It is only sad that we failed to meet your needs and expectations.

We are unashamedly very popular with children and families - we have never disguised this fact if you read previous Tripadvisor comments. However, we do still have many couples who just love us for many reasons. I glad that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay such has the comfort of the rooms and the standard of our food but unfortunately the presence of children was not your ideal holiday scenario which I can totally appreciate. I apologise for any shortcomings during your stay and would encourage you to return to beautiful Fiji again - there are many accommodation options which would ideally suit you.

Lower Hutt, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

So does the Radisson Blu deserve its top TripAdvisor rating as THE place to stay on Denarau Island? I think the answer depends on your personal circumstances and expectations. If you're looking for a bustling, family-friendly haven, where the kids will be spoilt for choice from dawn to dusk, this is your place. Smiling, helpful staff who clearly love kids complement a range pools (including a popular water slide) and a host of entertainment. If you're travelling as a couple, looking for a peaceful retreat, you may want to look elsewhere. We were there at the height of the NZ/Australia school holidays and the resort was bursting at the seams. This means a few inconveniences like a daily battle for sun loungers, and a buffet breakfast where the staff struggled to keep supplies topped up. The western aspect gives this resort a better position than its rivals, and the food was consistently good and reasonably priced for this standard of accommodation. Our Lagoonview suite was comfortable, well-appointed and clean. Number one on Denarau? Not quite, the Hilton still edges it for me, and the Sheraton feels less crowded, even at peak times. But if you can get the right deal, and you're travelling with children, I would still happily recommend you give the Radisson a try.

Room Tip: Would recommend a Lagoonview Suite. Rooms on the third floor are possible a little quieter.
Bula russell_underwood

It was great to read your observations on your time spent with us here on Denarau. Vinaka!

As you rightly point out, we are unashamedly very popular with families, especially during school holidays (you will find most resorts on Denarau increase their numbers of families staying at this time). However, we do receive many positive comments from couples, solo travellers and honeymooners as we do have areas of "tranquility" allocated specifically for adults. I am glad that you would recommend us to others and do hope that you may consider returning again, especially during the quieter months!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We have just returned from a very disappointing 6 day holiday at radisson. We felt like we were crowded around a freezing cold swimming pool - too cold for my sons (preschool) to enjoy swimming - and i couldnt blame them as it was too cold for us as well. To be fair, the pool was generally full but of older kids and we heard a lot of people around us making similar comments. Such a shame as the pool would have otherwise been great fun for the kids who would usually swim for as long as they can. The sea water by the hotel by comparison was like a bath but was too full of seaweed, branches etc to be swim-able. There are 2 large spas which are both adults-only which I thought was mean when the pool water was clearly so cold - at the very least the toddler pool needs to be heated. The hotel staff were absolutely lovely but we definitely wont be back. We did have a fantastic day at Cloud 9 - and wonderful swims in the sea from there - which I highly recommend.

Bula firstimereviewermum

Thank you for your first time review - I'm only disappointed that it was not more favourable and that you had a major issue with the temperature of the pools which obviously impacted negatively on your experience with us. I do apologise sincerely and after reading this comment now have pool heaters on order for some of the pools. A small consolation after you have departed but hopefully will help the comfort of future guests. Unfortunately, it is the middle of the Fijian winter here and although we generally experience rather glorious temperatures for the majority of days our large pools do cool down.

It's a shame that you say you won't return as we are generally described as the best family resort around and children usually have a awesome stay with us. I do hope that you may consider changing your mind....

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island
4.0 of 5 stars 464 reviews

Been to Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island? Share your experiences!