“Beautiful Resort .. friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Resort Deal: 10% off
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Peterborough, Canada
“Beautiful Resort .. friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this resort for a few days in January on our way to Australia. The hotel is surrounded by tropical gardens and man made lagoons. It certainly has a spectacular setting and deserves much of the positive comments and credits that other reviewer's have given.
It appears that most of the guests were families from Australia and New Zealand and the swimming pools and children's programs were perfect for families.
A couple of cautionary notes for North American visitors. This hotel had been described by our travel agent as being a "beach front hotel" .... in my opinion, its not, its more like a sea front hotel. The sand in front of the property is covered by the sea much of the day and is not accessible. When the tide is out the thin strip of beach exposed is not that attractive with dirty sand and grey sea water. As such, it is deserted most of the time with the guests using the artificial beaches around the pools. I understand all of the hotels on Denarau Island are like this.

During our visit there was a major problem with birds infesting the open air Blu restaurant. They were so bold that they flew into the buffet area and landed on the serving tables. If you left your table for a minute you would return to a dozen birds eating your food ... Not Nice. There seemed to be limited effort by staff to reduce this problem at that time. I do understand however, that since then the Management have taken steps to reduce this problem by installing fans to discourage the birds.
We also missed having a stand up bar in the main section of the hotel where you could mingle with other guests. There was a small lounge with a few tables where you could get a drink but it had no atmosphere and was deserted every night we were there.
It seemed that most people went to their rooms at night after supper.
I must add that most of the staff we met were very friendly and helpful which certainly made our stay more enjoyable.
A special thanks to a young lady named Tavinesa, a waitress who with a lovely smile and helpful friendly personality was an excellent representative for the Hotel.

Room Tip: We had a third floor room with a nice view of the lagoons and garden
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Dear JBH44

We appreciate your kind comments about our property here on Denarau and thank you for your recommendation. Vinaka! I'm so pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

I did take careful note of some suggestions for areas of improvement. You are correct in stating that we have taken big steps to reduce the problem of birds in our open air areas.

We have never promoted ourself as a hotel with a beautiful, pristine beach. We have amazing pool areas and guests do have the opportunity to swim in the sea and take full advantage off our free non- motorised water sports. It really is lovely out on the water.

We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Fiji and to Radisson Blu one day in the future

Gerard Knight General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed at the Radisson blu for 5 nights at the end on February 2014.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had requested a porta cot for our room for our 2 year old, which, when we put him in it to test it out, it collapsed! No injuries, so we called reception and they sent someone to replace it within 5 minutes. The DVD player also had to be replaced as it wasn't working, but again, they were there within 5 minutes of a phone call which was great service.
There was a lot of variety if you ordered the buffet breakfast, which in my opinion was quite expensive (we got the continental breakfast which was still almost $30 per person). The cereal was stale and there seems to be no fresh milk anywhere, and their long life milk is pretty gross compared to our Devondale etc LL milks.
The meals at Blu restaurant were nice and reasonably priced.
Heaps of pools for everyone.
Overall I would highly recommend this resort for families and couples.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Bula Kristy H

We really appreciate the time taken to write a review on our property here on Denarau. Vinaka!

I do apologise for the issues regarding your porta cot and DVD player but am glad that our staff were efficient in rectifying and provided good service. However, it seems that otherwise you had a great time and hopefully created some fantastic family memories.

We thank you for your kind recommendation to others and for choosing to stay with us.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Had a 3 night stay with family and friends. All 6 adults and 4 kids loved it!

We all just had the basic room, but it was great and big enough for each family.

The pool is definitely the highlight especially with the slide, but still had other good things going for it. Decent gym, good little kids club and a variety of places to eat.

We did not try cross restaurant but it did look good, found the buffet breakfast and dinner to be ok. Water court Asian was good although very slow service. Neptunes done a good pizza but the rest was average.

There is enough around denarau for young and old to keep everyone happy. We visited 9 yrs ago and it has changed a lot. But the main problem is still the beach, dirty black sand makes it not inviting for a swim.

We stayed at the Sofitel back 9 yrs ago which was good, but would have to say the radisson beats it.

Stayed March 2014
Dear szkut

I'm delighted that you found us to be a "worthy 5 star stay" and that your party had such an enjoyable time with us. Vinaka for your kind review.

We would love to have the opportunity to be able to welcome you all back again and extend our Fijian hospitality for which we are well known to you all.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

This is a very complete and large resort in Denarau, often indicated as a great option for families. We visited as a couple and really enjoyed our stay. As many other reviews pointed out, the staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel has a beautiful pool complex, pool bar, a couple of very good restaurants and great breakfast service. However, I recommend trying some of the restaurants in the other hotels around Denarau as there are some excellent options. The price is good for what you get and Fiji is really a unique place in the world, so you can't go wrong. Enjoy and relax!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel, away from pools are quieter at all times.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear PaolaB2012

I'm delighted that you found Radisson Blu Fiji to be a special place for couples - it certainly sounds as if you had a wonderful stay with us. Vinaka for your great review and recommendation to others, especially other couples!

What a great piece of advice for other Tripadvisor readers - "Enjoy and relax". That's what we aim to help all our guests achieve and I'm glad that we succeeded with you.

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

This was our second visit to this hotel and we experienced the same great service that we experienced on our previous visit. It was great to see some familiar faces from our last visit and once again we were made to feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble. We joined Trish on a visit to two local schools which was a fantastic and humbling experience. Special thanks to Pritika, Shalini, Rocco and of course the bananas - Bill, Elmo and Simon aided by Ma. I am sure that we will visit Fiji again and we will definitely return to the Radisson Blu on Denarau Island.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Mooks01

Thank you for choosing to return to Radisson Blu for a second time - we really appreciate our guests who are repeat visitors. Vinaka! I'm especially pleased that your second stay with us was as enjoyable as the first. I'm sure that many staff would remember you and welcome you back warmly.

Thank you also for mentioning our school tour and Adopt a School programme - we work hard with the local community to raise educational standards for our local Fijian children and we appreciate our guests amazing support and donations. We do have a Facebook page which keeps guests updated with our local projects. Radisson Blu Fiji Adopt a School. We are glad you enjoyed the visit to Ratu Navula College and Nadi Primary!

We look forward to welcoming you for a third visit sooner rather than later.

Kind Regards,Gerard Knight General Manager
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I treated myself for my birthday to my first ever trip to Fiji staying at the Radisson Blu and was blown away with the place and the people who work there. The staff are a credit to the place as they are amazingly friendly and helpful. Every time I passed a member of staff they would extend a warm 'Bula" and it didn't matter if it was early in the morning or late at night, they were always a friendly bunch.
The pools were great and I enjoyed the adult pool area most of all as i could get away from the families with kids. the pool bar was under renovation for part of the stay but the waiters would go around the pools serving people anyway. I mainly ate at Blu for breakfast and dinner and also at Neptunes. This was mainly out of convenience , but the food was great. I thought the team at Neptunes did a great job as well. For a smaller eating restaurant, they always seemed very busy but they were really efficient and quick.
Other things of note for me was how great the staff were with the kids. If I had kids I would have no issues with them running around here and being looked after by the staff. There is genuine love and care with children here and there seems to be heaps of activities for them to do. I also found the Rosie Holidays activities/tour desk to be most helpful and informative and it was really easy to book things thru them. I also found having an ATM cash machine in the lobby and a deli to be very convenient.
There were heaps of other things that were on offer here, but I ran out of time to try them all. I would recommend going out of Denarau though and actually 'see' Fiji. It is still a growing nation rich in history and culture and it was humbling to see how the majority of Fijians live. I was also very pleased to see that the Radisson has an "adopt a school Program". I thought this was a brilliant idea and I hope that the other resorts do the same in supporting and assisting their own local schools and communities. To me it showed that as a business, Radisson Blu have acknowledged that they have a bigger role to play in their community than to just look after tourists.

I am looking forward to going back there as soon as possible,it was a amzing! thanks for the memories.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor across from the spa and found that to be very quiet and devoid of foot traf...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear xantheonix

Firstly, a very belated Happy Birthday. I'm sure our team would have sung for you on your special day - they have amazing voices! Secondly, thanks so much for the fantastic comments you left about our resort on Denarau - much appreciated.

Wow, it certainly seemed as if you enjoyed all aspects of your stay here with us and managed to exceed your expectations as a first time visitor to Fiji. I have a feeling you will be returning! I do hope you were able to join us on our School Tour held every Friday during term time (Fijian term dates are different to Aus/NZ dates) and we thank you for mentioning our Adopt a School programme where we actively work in the local community to assist in improving educational standards.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Radisson Blu with a big Bula!

Vinaka Vakalevu

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Friendliest staff ever. They are helpful and happy. All Fijians seem to be. So many rooms it is just not a quiet peaceful holiday. Really two pools, one for kids and one for adults. Swim up bar great idea but always packed with people, definitely to sets available in happy hour. Great for families and I would recommend to families but perhaps not couples as much.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Greetings from Fiji Lano N

Firstly, congratulations on your recent wedding and thank you for choosing Radisson Blu as your honeymoon destination.

It was great to read that you enjoyed many aspects of our beautiful resort - the pools and friendliness of the staff in particular. I was a little disappointed that you perhaps didn't find the intimacy you were expecting from the hotel and I do apologise for that. We are a family friendly resort but aim to cater for couples also.

I do hope that you have returned home with many happy memories and we would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Gerard Knight General Manager

Been to Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island? Share your experiences!