“Great family hotel but expansive dining” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Resort Deal: 10% off
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Sydney, Australia
“Great family hotel but expansive dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed for a week in one bed suite, 2 adults and 3 kids. Rooms are decent size and plus is that main bedroom bed is huge. Sofa bed is good for 2 kids. Good idea to get a lagoon or garden view room as classic room looks towards Sheraton but not bad as lots of trees and flowers around. Pool with slide is big hit for kids however the swim up bar did not serve slushies or milkshake so the kids were bit disappointed.
Drinks are expansive, cocktails are $23:00 Fiji each but there is 2 for one happy hour. Food is very good at all restaurants, a definite plus for holidaying in Fiji. Only drawback is there are no reasonable priced food for families. Even pizza is $40:00 Fijian for a medium sized one. In comparision to Sydney where you can pick up a large pizza for about $ 10:00 Australian.
Overall, I would recommend this resort for families but make privisions for lunch/ dinner outside if staying long.

Room Tip: Lagoon view ground floor for older kids, garden view for smaller kids.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Afrer living in Fiji for 2 years we have stayed at all of the hotels in Denarau and the Radisson is the best value. The rooms are reasonably priced and every room has a balcony. The bathrooms are spacious and have a lovely deep bath - espeically in the suites.

Food is a little hit and miss though. The Asian restaurant is very good, but the buffet restaurant Blu is not great. The dinner buffet has too much going on with Asian, Indian, Fijian and an poor attempt at Brazillian BBQ Grill. It seems instead of doing one type of cuisine well, they have done 4 types that are very average. Cross is the fine dining option and although the food is good it is very overpriced. You can get a whole lobster for around $70 FJD nearly everywhere in Fiji - but Cross charges $180 FJD for their lobster dish which is just taking advantage of the tourist who doesnt know any better!

I would recommend staying at the hotel for the value and quality of their rooms - but eat down in Denarau Marina instead.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Bula Melanie

Thank you for taking the time to respond on Trip Advisor recently we always appreciate feedback and the time taken to pass it on. I actually joined this hotel in 2012 and had to ask the team about the Brazilian BBQ which apparently stopped in late 2011. We have a new Food and Beverage Director and assure you that changes are being made to ensure that everyone is happy with the Blu Buffet. Your comments about Lobster are all true but I do think it’s important to add some detail for the benefit of others reading your report. Our Executive Chef Richard Cross reminded me that the Restaurants at the Port, which are casual café style, generally serve a small Brown Lobster which is known to have a large head and small tail. This product is generally of poor quality but good value at FJ$70. Cross Restaurant (which incidentally just won a Trip Advisor Excellence Award) is our fine dining restaurant with an entirely different experience to the local Café mentioned. We serve a high quality Green Lobster by the KG and from the price you mention it would have been well over a 1KG Lobster. Lobster is a specialty at Cross Restaurant and our regular customers do travel long distances to enjoy it. Other Menu items are generally well under half the price of a 1KG Lobster tail and while clearly not the cheapest option on the Island you will see that most people that dine there do say that it’s an experience not to be missed. In summary with Lobster Tails you generally get what you pay for and it’s great that Denarau offers such a lot of choice. Thanks again for your kind comments in regard to the value for money that the hotel itself offers – we hope to welcome you again soon.

Vinaka Gerard Knight, General Manager
Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My family, 2 adults and 2 children[ages 8 and 5] spent 10 days at this resort in the September kids holidays. This was our second trip to Denaru Island. Previously we stayed at the Hilton, and subsequently I think my expectations were too high for this holiday and the Radisson. Another issue was the fact that the resort was full. People were everywhere, and you had to reserve a lounge by the pool at 8 am. Next time I travel I will take the kids out of school, and avoid the holiday period.
I booked direct with the Radisson, which may have been a mistake. I should have got a comparison price from someone like Flight Centre. We paid $486 Aussie dollars per night, no breakfast, for the cheapest 2 bedroom room. It was called the "classic" and I reckon it was about the worst room in the resort. So we paid what I think is top dollar, for something pretty ordinary.
This is supposed to be a 5 star Radisson and is not the same standard as the one in Phuket.[see my review of that]. We arrived far too late at 7pm, so had little chance to evaluate the room and request something else. The staff said they would get back to us with a better room but we never heard from anyone for the whole 10 days.
I won't bore you too much with room problems, but I will summarise them now:-In both rooms the curtains were falling off their tracks, no TV in the lounge so we asked for one, both handbasins in one bathroom leaked over the floor and had no rubbers on the plugs, our bedroom fan sounded like a washing machine at 2 am, our room faced the road so we were awaken by trucks at 4.30am, there are only 2 lifts in the entire compex and we were on the top floor and they were no where near us, no clothes hoists provided, 2 of the TV's didn't work properly and took several minutes to get going, DVD didn't work in the second bedroom so I had to fix the wiring, no writing paper or pens provided, main room door woudn't stay open, refridgerator was dirty inside and had no light, and so on.
On the plus side, the Radisson has the best gardens of all the 7 resorts and the best pool set-up.
Paths meander from the room blocks through beautiful gardens to the pool area and restaurants.
We didn't eat much at all at the Radisson, choosing to go into the marina or the other resorts nearby. Neptunes was reasonably cheap and provided quick food for casual dining. We did use the kids club on 2 occasions, but only for a short time. It catered very well for all ages.
As with all Fiji resorts, the staff are just great. The Figians are always courteous and friendly. You can't have an argurment with a Fijian-they don't argue.
I wouldn't stay at this resort again, but would try the Sheraton Villas. Many of the other resorts have quite a few on site boutique shops. Radisson does not, or nothing worth noting.
I might try and write a report on Denaru Island and all the resorts. We have seen all of them now and I feel we have someting to provide.

Room Tip: Book the Garden or Lagoon rooms and pay the extra
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Bula Huxtab

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our resort. Comments like yours are essential in our efforts to improve guest service and clearly my team and I are disappointed by your disappointment.
Our Classic Rooms are as you suggest our lead in priced rooms but many guests love the fact that they face away from the pool and over our front gardens making them generally quiet and private. The road is a dead end and only services this property and one other, so traffic during the night would be incredibly unusual and I am sure a one off. I can say with confidence that we have a strict policy of “price parity” so you would have been quoted the same price regardless of how or through whom you booked. Similar to airlines however prices does change over time and our advanced purchase options usually represent the best value. We encourage direct bookings simply because our team knows the property and the options better than anyone else but also appreciate the great job our travel agent partners do for us and so are very careful to treat all guests as special. Just to be clear, all our room categories are identical; it’s only the view and the location that changes with price.
I am extremely concerned to read about the problems you had inside the room. We are the newest resort on Denarau and hope you let my team know about the problems because we expect engineering to fix any such issue in an instant. Please let me know if this was not the case.
Thank you for your positive comments about our team, our grounds, our pools and the Kids Club. I did notice last week that Trip Advisor has us listed in their top 10 Fantastic Pools from around the world so you are not alone with your positive comments.

If you are returning to Fiji and contact me personally I would be happy to ensure that you have a better experience and apologize again for our shortfalls.

Vinaka Gerard Knight, General Manager
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This was our second time at Radisson Fiji, our children loved it and so did we !! Definitely coming back for a 3rd time. Forget the rest Radisson's the best. All the restaurants at the Radisson are great, Breakfast was amazing, Pizza'z are a little pricey for what they are. Kids club was also terrific and well priced. My girls loved the hair braids and recently added Hennas. thanks to Sachin and the girls.

Room Tip: If you have 3 or more children opt for the double room and ask for one on the lower level in front o...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Our experience of The Radisson was fantastic. As soon as we arrived we were greeted and checked in within 2 minutes, with all our luggage being taken to our rooms. We were a big group, but but their service was efficient and friendly. The staff remembered our names, even with the breakfast staff remembering our room numbers. The staff we always up for a conversation and nothing was of any trouble to them. It should be specially mentioned that the manager was great. He was incredibly helpful with anything we needed, not to mention patient!The rooms were spacious and always exceptionally clean after service. The resort was huge with amazing facilities. Everything was close to bus services and a short trip to the Marina and town. We would definitely recommend The Radisson to anybody.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My partner and I stayed four nights (five days) at the resort over the school holidays in July 2012 (as he is a school teacher).
When booking I requested a room up high and away from the children’s pool due to noise and it being the school holidays. Unfortunately on arrival we had been allocated a room on the top level although it was situated right above the children’s pool, which we were a bit disappointed about, the window cut out a reasonable amount of the noise but we were unable to enjoy the room’s deck. I understand that this may also be the fault of the travel agent but feel that to make the customer experience better more attention should be taken to room preferences.
I was also a little disappointed as housekeeping forgot our room two out of the five days and had to be asked to come back to do it, which was also a bit of an inconvenience. But once the room had been visited it was always beautifully clean.
The majority of food at the resort was great; I was really impressed with the room service food and its reasonable prices. Although I did feel that the Thai restaurant food was a little disappointing, as the meals were quite plain and small.
I was also quite disappointed by the beach in front of the Radisson Blu, it was not desirable to swim in, we felt slightly mislead by the hotel advertising and felt that customers should be made aware of this prior to booking the beachfront resort. The undesirable beach also restricted us only to the use of the pools where it was extremely difficult to get a lounger after 7am. I understand that we were there at one of the hotels busiest times, but perhaps this is an issue which needs to be addressed during times of peak capacity.
I felt that the accommodation was exceptional, although service was not the best in some areas. Potentially because of the large size of the resort and staying at its busiest time staff attention to some of the smaller details were lacking and decreased my overall experience. This was a little disappointing considering the amount of money paid; I was accepting that it was the school holidays and the hotel was extremely full, although I was expecting slightly better service.

Overall we were disappointed with the Radisson Blu.

Hannah.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed in a 1 bedroom Lagoon View Suite for 4 nights due to being there for a Wedding.
The Wedding was well executed by The Radisson and Paradise Brides. Great Wedding buffet and attentive service for drinks and table clearing.
Very spacious with kitchen, dining and lounge areas and a big balcony.
Bed was kingsize, comfortable with nice linen.
Bathroom was also very large with a shower cubicle, huge bath and vanity, toilet of course, and washing machine and dryer. Nice amenities and towels.
Air-con and fans worked well.
Housekeeping attended each day at different times and were efficient.
All staff were welcoming and helpful.
Food and drinks were priced up and typical for Denauru Island. Favourite was Neptunes for seafood and pizza.
Very family/children orientated resort.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island? Share your experiences!