“Best place to stay in FIJI !!” 4 of 5 stars

Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Resort Drive, Denarau Island, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Denarau Island
Auckland
“Best place to stay in FIJI !!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2008

Our Company had booked this Resort for a conference. The hotel is located on Denaru island which is the best & costliest part of Fiji. Denaru is 15 minuted by bus from the Nadi internayional Airport. Mostly all the 4-5 star hotels (Sheraton,Westin etc)are located in denaru and near to each other. We usually used to hire mini bus (8-10 seater with a/c) to go to city which costed approx $15 fiji dollar.

Any way i know you want to know about the hotel. I found it very nicely decorated and clean hotel.

ROOM: I am attaching few photograph of the one bedroom room i stayed in. Most of them tell everything. Try to get the sea view rooms on the high floor same as me to get the breath taking views. The garden/city facing rooms are exactly the same with just ok views.

Service:I had read the staff being rude stories in tripadvisor but do not agree with them much. The staff are courtious and very formal. I do believe that they need more training for attention to detail.

The Pool : Lovely adult pool (more deep than childrens pool) with two small spas besides it. A slide maade in the children pool. Ofcourse you will find the children in the adult pool. You can play water polo, water volley ball and also enjoy some group excercises in the pool at fixed timings. There is a bar attached to pool too.

Food: I did not find the Food menu exciting at all. So, most of us were dining in the city or going to the hotels nearby. Breakfast Buffet is having a good variety! My Suggestion to the hotel - " Cook the eggs to order. They become cold on the buffet."

Miscellenious: Get your bill ready the night before departure and it can be a bit slow at time of final checkout( staff training prob).

Finally, i had a look at most of the other hotels on denaru too but loved the Raddisson. Stay here and Eat somewhere else. Also, in next six moths Sheraton is planning a MAJOR renovation as it it quiet run down. I would love to try it after that.

Live life King Size!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
North East Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

My husband, myself and our two teenagers aged 19 (male) and 15 (female) recently spent 10 nights at the Radisson. I had investigated our options in Fiji for some time as this trip was a really special event for us. One of our preferred hotels could not guarantee us interconnecting rooms, and whilst a number of the others could, we would not have any lounge/dining area - only rooms with beds. As we envisaged some evenings in watching dvd's and eating breakfast in our room, we opted for a 2-bedroom apartment at the Radisson. We also thought that because of the proximity to the marina and other hotels, our children might find more things to do (the Bula Bus is fantastic for getting around). We arrived late at night, were greeted with beautiful cold fruit drinks, and were very pleased with our apartment, which was really two separate rooms with a common foyer area where you could shut two outer doors. They were very clean and everything was sparkling and new (which I was pleased about because I am very fussy). As mentioned by previous reviewers, the King size bed in our room was over-sized and huge, as was the bathroom, which had 2 sinks, a bath, shower, toilet, washing machine and dryer. I knew that we were somewhere near the beach, but to come down in the morning and see that the hotel was right on it was amazing. Our room had a balcony, a lounger and a small table with some chairs, and it overlooked the ocean and the grassy area between the hotel and the Sheraton next door. There are plenty of food options, amongst our favourites were the golf club, Cardo's, the indian/asian place, Mamma's Pizza and the Hard Rock Cafe (surprisingly) at the Marina, the fine dining restaurant at the Sofitel great food - Fijian service, but hey, that's O.K. with us. We also had a couple of really nice meals at the Radisson and one at the WorldMark next door. On our taxi driver's recommendation we had a meal at a Chinese restaurant in Nadi (?). I refused to eat anything for a while. Was a bit uncertain about the cleanliness, but got a look into the kitchen and all was well. Food was plentiful and a very good standard, and with drinks came to under 50 AUD for 4. Considering what we would generally spend on an evening meal, and what most of the staff earned on an hourly basis, my conscience was eased slightly when a young man in a coffee shop thanked us for visiting Fiji. He explained that without the tourists, he would be working in the sugar cane fields. We had three day tours, one out snorkelling, one to Lautoka and one to Nadi. Again, you're not shopping in Bourke Street Mall, but if, as we did, you want the kids to appreciate a bit of the Fijian lifestyle, it is worth the trip, and nobody bothers you too much. The guys also went scuba diving which they said was fantasic. I would advise that you visit the supermarket at the marina early in the trip to stock up and keep the little darlings out of the mini bar. We also regularly bought bread and pies at the bakery, and were more than happy with them. DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS, I GUESS. We loved the place. Five star accommodation, service ? We would say five star, also! O.K., not as we may think of it in Australia, but folks, if you want our standard of service - STAY IN AUSTRALIA. If you want smiling, dancing, singing staff who forget the occasional order and appear to be striving strenuously to work to meet OUR standards, give them a go. We made a dear friend of a waitress, got invited to the home of a taxi driver for an authenic indian meal, and met many special people whom we are sure will remember us when we return. The Australian manager's that we came across are working very hard in the service area. I am perplexed by the criticisms about service standards - what did you people expect? The Fijian's themselves laugh about "Fiji time" (which we found to most often be more of a joke than a reality). Next time book yourselves into Hayman Island.

By the way, we have travelled quite a bit and generally stay in 5 star hotels - not bragging, just letting you know that I expect a high standard when I travel. However, Fijian people are generally so charming and try so hard, that if the latte was a bit weak or the chips hadn't arrived within half an hour - it didn't seem to be such a drama. This was NOT a regular occurrence - generally great coffee, especially at the Orchid Lounge.

Also, finally - the children at the resort were no problem to us at all. The only time that we really saw many of them was at the pool area, but as we spent our time at the adult's pool (we were the ones without the beer belly and cellulite - see previous review) they were not a bother at all.

Vinaka to one and all at the Radisson!

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — No dislikes, just negotiate your price with taxi drivers upfront
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Papamoa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2008

We travel to a different resort every year but i have to say we will be going back to the Radisson. Everyone there went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our stay. Like most we dined out at other hotels but but we really could have just as easily have stayed at our resort as the food was second to none!!
We didnt have children but people we meet did and the complex catered well for both which made it easy to mix with others on holiday. The only complaint we would have was that the coctails were way to easy to drink:-)
Thank you everyone at the Radisson, we will see you again next year.
110% satisfied customers!!!

• Liked — everything!!
  • Disliked — ???
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

This hotel seems to be surrounded by a lot of hype, being that it is new and the only selling point really is the pools.

I feel in a way cheated cause i was convinced by reading other
"positive reviews" on trip advisor to make the booking here. Although in reality, it was different.

So I got to my room, yeah it was a pool view - of the kids' pool. I was woken up every morning by parents who seem to think that a pool makes an awesome babysitter.

My room had old food, had not been properly cleaned, and the fan in the bathroom was not working. So they sent a house keeper to clean it again and apologised for the non -working bathroom fan.

My Fiance and I thought the adults pool was a great idea. Although the
swim up bar should have been located here as opposed to the main pool where there are kids. I was actually told by some cheeky bugger kid to
get off the stool cause they wanted to sit them. I had to resort to obsecenities unfortunately.

The service lacked attention to detail. Its not the staff's fault they
really do try - i just think its a reflection of bad management or lazy management who cut corners.

For example, I had a rissotto from the kitchen (i should have listened
to the review that said not to eat there! d'oh!) and it was lumpy, grey and re-heated. I didn't have the heart to send it back to the kitchen. The food there is terrible. I had to resort eating out in Port Denarau, like the hard rock cafe, or the indian/asian restaurant there. Most of my meals where eaten at the Sheraton (next door) and mainly the Westin. My advice go eat elsewhere.

The poolside service was really bad. My Fiance ordered some food which
never arrived. This happened on a few occassions.

The Bar staff aren't proper "mixologists" so don't expect the cocktails to be nice. The Margaritas taste like salty water, and I had
a mojito, which I saw with my own eyes the bargirl substituted the vodka with white rum. If you want cocktails, (at the same price) go to
the Westin or bring your own alcohols in plastic containers to the pool.

The Main pool usually hijacked by pool sports like water polo and pool
volleyball, all well and good if you like that stuff, but if you are trying to relax by the adults pool you can still hear the screams of the little terrors. The pool seats always taken by old people who love
sitting under the shade all day near the pool. I don't know why they take the prime real estate and not go somewhere else. Plainly i don't consider old people in their bathers in the adults only pool romantic
- old men in budgie smuglers with their beer guts hanging out and old women with cellulite. Or the pool if there with a bunch of mid 20's idiotic men who act like children in the pool. Also no-one polices the
pool so you do get a few kids in there. The SPA (x2) are ok but half the day you cannot use them cause they are cleaning them. Fair enough but annoying.

I am just being realistic here of the type of crowd, not telling you what you want to hear.

Also I wasn't aware that this place does time-sharing so you get A LOT of families with kids and undesirables staying there, so I would call this hotel more a 3 star and their rates an non justifiable. Plenty of KATH & KIM types if you know what I mean.

In all fairness the hotel is "kid friendly" which is great if you have kids, and families. They really know how to cater for this crowd.

Also old people can stay here too.

If you are planning a romantic holiday or taking your girlfriend/
iance away I suggest look elsewhere where its not so kid friendly. I had a view of a few rooms from other guests hanging out with me. And just letting you know that garden and ocean view rooms are all the same no difference except the view, But Garden view can mean anything and ocean view can mean kids pool. I ended up switching hotels after the influx of families before new years.

The management here, have a LOT to answer for, especially the Food and Beverages Manager.

So I tried to make the most of a situation, and tried to enjoy myself before I had enough! and relocated. You can read other reviews and people will tell you what a great experience they have. I am being brutally honest and as someone who travels a fair bit and stays at hotels (nothing under 4 stars) I can say this hotel is deceptive in pricing and don't believe the brochures. I hope this review has helped
with your travel plans.

Stayed January 2008
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

My b/f and I stayed here for a night while waiting for the next Catamaran out to Matamanoa Island. The hotel itself is very nice and new, the rooms were spacious and modern. You could not fault the rooms.

We found that there wasn't much to do there, especially when it started raining and there seems to be little entertainment in the evening after dinner.

The food was better than we expected, we were pleasantly surprised by our dinner after hearing that the food in fiji leaves a lot to be desired. We also had a galzone for lunch which was okay but the pizzas looked a lot nicer and may be the way to go.

The staff were friendly, although they don't seem very relaxed.

I would definitely come back here as a stop before heading out to the islands, however I wouldn't come here for an entire holiday. The islands are much more appealing than the main land as it is more picturesque and there seems to be more to do but thats my opinion.

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — scenery
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island? Share your experiences!