My family and I originally visited the Fiji Resort and Spa managed by the Hilton, in 2009. We were blown away by the amazing staff, the beautiful rooms and the general quality of the resort. It was one of the best holidays we had had. We thus decided to stay at the resort again in December 2012. Although the resort itself is beautiful and the staff once again were amazing, we were very disappointed in the way the management managed the events surrounding Cyclone Evan. So, although the resort itself should get a higher rating, our overall experience was not a good one as described below.
On the day of the cyclone, the resort began selling food packs and water for stocking in our rooms. The food packs were exorbitantly priced (2-3 times the normal price of food ordinarily bought at the resort). I thought that this was quite unethical but put it down to the resort having supply problems or being charged higher prices by greedy suppliers. We bought a few packs and resigned to our rooms to weather the storm.
Once the storm was over, the restaurant (which I have to say is below average) began serving a buffet for FJD70. This was quite expensive, especially for the 4 dishes that they were serving.
We decided not to eat there and went next door to the Lagoon restaurant at the Sofitel resort. I was gobsmacked to discover that the Sofitel had provided complimentary meals (breakfast, lunch and supper) to all of its guests, in light of the trauma they had experienced. I was appalled that, not only was the Hilton charging its guests but also hiking its prices! This was extremely unethical and left us feeling despondent about the resort.
On subsequent days, we visited the Sheraton, Radisson and Westin resorts and they had all provided complimentary meals to the guests. This was done not only on the day of the cyclone but the subsequent two days following this disaster.
The Sofitel, to take care of its guests further, reduced their meal rates at their restaurants (they served a bountiful seafood buffet, which ordinarily cost FJD85 for FJD50).
This was contrary to what the Hilton had done and demonstrates to me that the resort is only interested in the bottom line and not its guests. In fact, the resort was also charging inflated prices for rooms (guests were unable to book flights back and had to stay extra nights) whereas other resorts were discounting the room rate.
I am really sad to give the resort a bad rating as, once again, the staff are incredible, the rooms are beautiful, etc. Despite our bath being cracked and leaking water everywhere (no one repaired it despite numerous calls), our television not working (once again no one fixed it), no hot water (understandable given the cyclone) and terrible communication regarding the cyclone, we would have returned to the resort.
The way the cyclone was handled will make us consider a different resort in future.
P.s a complaint was sent to both Hilton head office and the Fiji Beach Resort and Spa and no response has been given at the time of this review.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- What's your idea of the perfect escape? Perhaps it's spending precious time together as a family. Maybe you want to rediscover romance, in a setting that's simply breathtaking. Or perhaps you'd rather enjoy relaxing spa treatments and superb cuisine...For sheer romance, a glorious honeymoon, your best family break ever or a golfer's dream holiday, Hilton in Fiji makes the perfect setting. Welcome to your perfect escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Hotel.de, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed By Hilton Hotel Denarau Island
- Fiji Beach Resort And Spa Managed By Hilton
- Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Denarau Island
- Hilton Denarau Island
- Fiji Hilton
- Denarau Island Hilton