“Short Stay location” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rockingham, Australia
“Short Stay location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This was our first visit to Fiji.We chose the Hilton from the many reviews on Tripadvisor and were not disappointed.Our stay was for 3 nights and we found the resort meet our requirements.We stayed in a one bedroom apartment which was on the first floor and close to the shop and reception area. The apartment has a good size balcony with a daybed and chair. The bathroom has a seperate shower and toilet with an open bath.There is also a safe and tea/coffee making.
The adults only pool area lived up to expectations. This was one of the reasons that we chose this resort.We ate at both restaurants and the food was fantastic. Although some people might think it expensive we found it very good, and the service was excellent.We also ate at Denarau Wharf and found the prices on par with the resort. You can catch the shuttle from the resort to the wharf and costs you $7.00 each.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 100 are closer to reception
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Denise F,
many thanks for choosing Hilton for your first Fijian vacation.
It is with great pleasure that I read your comments and found out that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.
The team and I look forward to your 2nd trip to Fiji, and, hopefully, for a longer stay.
General Manager - Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Korean first
Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Arrived today. Spent the best part of an hour trying to check in. Room not ready and it was 3pm. Requested upgrade through Hilton honours. Very happy to pay an extra $299 a night. Told 2brm unavailable even though there is a cyclone coming and they are still available on wotif. Went to pool. Ordered cocktail. Never arrived. Went to bar. Ordered cocktail. Barman said he would bring change. Never saw it. Wandered miles back to room 3707. No room available closer to reception. Asked where ice machine was. Concierge said someone would bring us some. Waited an hour and it never arrived. Just hopeless. Won't stay here again

• Stayed December 2012
Dear pip2011,
Thank you very much for your review of your first day at the resort. I have to say that your comments do not reflect at all our usual standards of service, and I would certainly like to apologize for not delivering the experience that you are expecting as a guest and a HHonors member.
I will be contacting you through pm in order to find out more about these shortfalls, and hopefully have you back to the resort to experience the quality and service levels that we deliver on a daily basis.
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was my third trip back to the hilton in Denaurau as i was left a little disappointed after our previous trip.

We came with another family and rented a 3 bedroom penthouse which was just amazing and ticked all of our boxes and did not feel like there where two families living there.

As we came with two young children they where so looked after by the staff who remebered their names.
We ate breakfast every day in Nuku which was a lovely way to start the day.
Whilst we had a room down the other end of the resort we did not see this as being a downside as it was a great walk to the restaurants and also our daily exercise.

I would highly recommend this resort to any families as its great value.

keep up the good work - your staff are amazing

Room Tip: try a newer room down the other end of the resort
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bula daelc80,
Thank you very much for your review and very kind words about the team.
We are of course thrilled that you chose us for the 3rd time, and that you and your party had such a great time.
We all look forward to welcoming you back for your 4th stay here, so that you may enjoy the many enhancements that we are working on.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My family stayed in a 3 bedroom penthouse, which was located at the very far end of the resort.
The room was almost perfect. One room had a dodgy mobile air con, due to the main air con being broken. But after complaining they offered free breakfast for our stay to compensate. We accepted and the breakfast at the main restaurant (Nuku) was lovely.

Our suite was of top quality. But the walking distance to the main pools is so, so long. Not a problem for us adults, but you would need a pram for little kids.
Oh, you could request a buggy to collect you ... but please remember that you are in Fiji and everyone is on "Fiji time", ie. they will collect you, but it might just take a while. :)

We also used the bbq facilities, but initially not all the burners worked. But after requesting maintenance, they eventually fixed it, like new (again, "Fiji time", but eventually it was fixed).

We didn't dine at the restaurants, because being frugal, I thought the prices were too high. So, we either cooked our own dinners (shop in Nadi rather than the Port) or caught a taxi to the nearby Port and dined at the restaurants there. The Port is a 5 minute (F$10 ride each way. Or A$5.50 each way). Our favourite restaurant was "Nadina" ... good value and superb dishes.

Back to hotel. The pools are all square. Nice but not as kid friendly as say the Sofitel (has a kids water slide) or the relatively new Radisson Blu (which in my opinion has the best pools in Denarau). The staff are all lovely, despite the "Fiji time" responses to things (but remember where you are). The beach is rubbish, so just use the pools. The food prices at restaurants and cafes are high to ridiculously-high. I don't know why management does this because I spoke to so many people who also dined at the Marina instead of the hotel. I noticed that their restaurants were empty at night time ... I wonder where all the guests are?? I know a good way to fill the hotel restaurants and keep the staff busy ... mmmm.

My best tip. We have stayed at many Denaru hotels over the years. We will return to the Hilton and just hope to luck a suite closer to the pools. Or if not stay here, stay at the Radisson Blu, because the pool area is absolutely incredible (and their food prices are much lower). Forget the 3 Sheratons as they are too worn out.

My second tip is. Despite the Hilton having not so friendly kid pools, just do a walk through the other hotel pools. Just stay at the Hilton and pop into the Sofitel next door and then walk up the beach to the other Sheraton pools. And then walk further up the beach to the Radisson pool. It's a good half day adventure, nobody cares that you are using the facilities and then you catch a taxi back to the Hilton from the Radisson (cost F$10).

My third tip: Ask about the mud baths. They are a 40 minute drive away and a great half day tour.
Cost F$120 (A$65) return for taxi van, for 7 people. (The driver waited 2 hours while we all took the mud bath and had 1 hour massage). The mud bath cost F$15 to enter (A$8) and the massage was F$40 (A$22) for one hour. The massage is not worth the exercise because all they do is rub their hands on you. Good for a laugh only.

Bula!

Room Tip: Ask to be close to the pool. But good luck with that request.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bula mfhmfh,
Many thanks for your review of your stay at the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton.
I am glad that you have enjoyed your break here, despite the unfortunate incidents that you shared, and for which I would like to apologize.
Your feedback is very important, and provides us with great feedback in order to inspire our team to deliver even better quality and service, on a consistent basis.
The team and I do hope that you will choose us for your next stay in Fiji.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

For our last trip for the year, we decided to try out Fiji for 4 nights. After alot of researching and reading various reviews, we decided to stay at the Hilton. Hoping to have a wonderful accommodation, we forked out additional money for a 2 bedroom penthouse. I also chose this resort as my husband is a HHonours Gold member. We are a family of 3 plus a bub in the oven. Before arriving at the hotel, I contacted them with a couple of request. My primary request was a room closer to the facilites as I did not want to walk over a 1km to get to the restaurant or pool being over 20 weeks pregnant and having a toddler in tow. I also asked for late check out (complimentary with membership). When we arrived for our stay, check in was quite rushed and we were not advised of our room until we were carted into a buggy and driven a very very long way from the reception area. To put things in perspective, the villa blocks are numbered from 1 - 43 and we were located in block 39. Once we were taken to our room, my husband called reception and requested a room closer to the facilities. They advised us that they didn't have anything available until the next day and we can call reception in the morning to get the room changed. Yes, they did try to accommodate our request but maybe it was a bit too late. Any parent would know that once you are settled, you just can't be bothered to repack and move the next day especially with a 2.5 year old. Therefore, we decided to stay put plus I was kind of afraid that we would be stuck in a shabby room as some of the reviewers have described here. Don't get me wrong, the penthouse was nicely appointed but gee it was so far away from everything. Plus if you looked out of your bedroom window, there was construction happening outside but views from the living room was beautiful. Another sour note was we did have to occasionally wait for the buggy to come and pick us up (longer than 10 minutes) and more than one time calling the concierge 2 times. On one occasion the buggy took so long to arrive that I was late for my spa appointment. One more negative thing was that we only could get an additional hour as late check out (ie check out time is 11 and we got an extension to 12) which was a disappointment considering our flight wasn't until 4:30pm.

On a positive note here are the good things about the hotel: Both restaurants within resort served reasonable food for the price sometimes service was a bit slow but we always ate when the restaurant was empty due to having a toddler. Keep in mind that the price is similar price if you were to eat in a hotel in Australia so not cheap but not to badly priced. Staff were generally pleasant. Room was cleaned regularly. Nanny service was excellent. Our daughter loved Mary and had a good time in kids club with Mary. Spa treatment was great and relaxing. Pools were excellent. Check out was quick and bill added up correctly. Location was good - close to Marina so other great dining options available so your not stuck with only hotel food. Bed was comfy and block out blinds were helpful for sleep ins but the pillow is way too soft.

One thing that did surprise me was that it was very hard getting a drink around the pool. I may not have been able to enjoy a cocktail but my husband would want a beer and I would have to walk to the bar and request a drink.

The beach isn't white sand and can look a tad dirty but this is because the hotel was built on mangrove passage so really isn't coastal land (not hotel's fault). We decided to book a driver for 4 hours take us out to Intercontinental Hotel so our little girl can run into the surf and play in the white sand. We didn't do boat cruises due to motion sickness.

Overall, the jury is still out whether I would come back to this hotel or go to Intercontinental hotel or if I would recommend the hotel. If you were assured that you weren't stuck in a room so far away than maybe yes.

Room Tip: Book a room closer to pool and restaurant so you don't have to rely on the buggy to take you to...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Loveabreak22,
Thank you very much for choosing Hilton, and for taking the time to share your impressions of the resort.
I am glad that you have enjoyed a number of facilities and services at the resort. I have also noted the areas for improvement that you kindly brought to our attention. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused, and can assure you that the shortfalls have been looked into as a matter of priority
The team and I do hope that you will choose us again for your next trip to Fiji.
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Had to stay an extra night in Fiji due to changed travel conditions and stayed at the Hilton after a week at the Sofitel next door. Was very impressed with the Hilton, stayed in a 1 bedroom beachfront room and it was great. Huge room and the inclusions of kitchen along with a full fridge etc was fanastic. We didn't use it, but having the BBQ would be great so that you could give the restaurants a miss just even for one night on a holiday. The resort seems to be more like a huge townhouse complex, all individually owned and managed by the Hilton.

Very impressive, great restaurant, nice pools the only negative is that the complex is huge so if your at the far end your in for a 10 odd minute walk up to your room from the main pool area.

Be great for families with the BBQ and fridge etc, definately recommend it for a nice place in Denarau

Room Tip: Probably best to ask for a room close to the pool, as the resort is huge!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bristraveler,
Many thanks for choosing Hilton for the second part of your Fijian break.
The team and I were thrilled to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We all look forward to your return to Fiji.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in a 2 bedroom beach front apartment which was large and well appointed. Very comfortable beds.
The beach here is not nice, would only recommend for a stop over on the way to the outer island resorts.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Chrisdine,
Thank you very much for your review of your short stay at the resort.
I am glad you have enjoyed it, and look forward to having you back for a longer break.
General Manager - Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton

Been to Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!