“would stay again” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Beachfront, Denarau Island, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Denarau Island
“would stay again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

My teenage daughters and I stayed here for 4 nights in July. We were warmly greeted and checked in and shown to our rooms without any fuss, it all went very smoothly. First impressions were WOW.. the reception, lounge, pool areas were inviting and our room was clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. Both my daughters commented on the sheets feeling luxurious. We thought the food was on the expensive side but then we discovered the little french cafe that we had missed seeing on arrival. Great food and good prices but mostly we ate at the Denarau Marina restaurants by the water. The traditional Fijian restaurant, Nadina's was excellent if you want to try traditional Fijian food and the staff were exceptional with their hospitality to say the least.

The staff at the Sofitel were very friendly and did their jobs well.. nothing was a problem.
The only problem we had was getting a poolside lounge. Impossible to get and very frustrating seeing them all reserved with a towel with no one around the pool area. Obviously these people got up at 6.30am reserved their chair with a towel and went back to their rooms. But who wants to get up at this time when on holidays.. we did on the last day and this was the only time we got a lounge. This did put a downer on our holiday because like everyone else just wanted to walk down from our room and laze by the pool. We ended up walking around the beach to the Westin and Sheraton and got a lounge/hammock without a problem ( they also had excellent facilities) but they also got our business for drinks and food....

I would not have a problem with staying here again but they really have to change their pool reservation problem.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
, General Manager at Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 17, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for placing your last review. i was please to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our rooms to be both comfortable with a touch of luxury.
I was sorry to read that the fact that other guests were reserving lounge chairs early in the morning meant you couldn't enjoy our pool. We have now placed information on the lounges telling guests that they cannot reserve lounges by simply placing towels etc on them. These items will now be removed by our staff and held in the towel bura.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Adam Laker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

Visited this hotel for 3 nights in July 2010 for a work conference. Excellent rooms and facilities. Everything was pretty well organised (for Fiji!) and very nice rooms. Swimming pool is excellent and massive!

However, like all the other hotels like Denarau, you dont visit here for the beach. The beach is quite awful compared to other beaches in the Islands and even the Coral Coast. its perfect for lounging by the pool though.

Buffet style lunches and dinners were very good, although much of the same and would get tedious day after day. I'd suggest hopping on the shuttle bus and eating at Denarau Marina instead.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for placing your last review. i was please to read that you enjoyed your stay with our rooms, fantastic pool area and especially the friendly staff.
I will of course share our comments with my team as they are always delighted to read how guests enjoy their holiday.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

Have stayed at Sofitel now a few times out of 6 holidays in Fiji. Hotel is lovely but getting a little tired and old. Clean, comfortable but certainly not 5 star.
Salt Restaurant - EXCELLENT!!! Staff at Salt EXCELLENT!!! We tell everybody to dine there when they travel to Fiji.
Pool - good but no towels were availabe for the week we were there. We had to use our own towels or bath towels. Pool Staff are great as they are in most of the other hotels.
There's nothing wrong with the Sofitel however, I'd probably stay somewhere else next time that is a little more upmarket. Will definately dine at Sofitel again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
, General Manager at Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to complete your latest review of our Resort.
I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food served within the resort at our different restaurants.
I can only apologize about the shortage in pool towels during your stay. We had ordered extra for the high season however sadly we had a delay in delivery from our supplier, you will be happy to know we have now received an extra 400 pool towels for our hotel guests.

I kook forward and hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

We arrived for 4 nights at the Sofitel Denarau after spending 7 nights at Malolo Island Resort. The island was fantastic and heading back to the mainland towards the end of our holiday turned out to be a great way to finish. We booked a junior suite (jacuzzi on the balcony) as we thought the extra room, after having a large bure, would be necessary. We were on the ground floor (didn't make any special requests) and close to the pool. I travel alot for business and have come to accept the lottery that is room allocation. Sometimes you get a great room on the 44th floor with a view and other times the 6th floor looking at the carpark. We felt we had won a prize in this lottery! The location of the junior suites at the Sofitel are awesome, you are at the end of the wing facing the beach. The jacuzzi is actually a spa bath (and not a flash one) and owing to our ground floor room was pretty much unusuable but not a huge problem. Yes the rooms are a little dated, however ours was ready when we checked in, clean and tidy and considering we spent very little time in it was more than adequate for our stay.

We picked the Sofitel because of the waterslide and pool, friends had been to Denarau in January and had recommended either the Radisson or Sofitel for young kids - our daughter is 5 yo. They also said that they had visited all the resorts and the Sofitel was the pick for restaurants. As the Radisson was fully booked we picked the Sofitel. The pool area and waterslide was perfect for us. We met families at Malolo that were also spending a few days at Denarau before heading home, they were staying at other resorts but we saw them nearly everyday coming in to use the pool. They also said the Sofitel pool was better for children than where they were staying. There were two problems for those of us wanting to spend the day around the pool. If you didn't get to the pool by 7am you didn't get a lounge and the waterslide wasn't open until 11am most days. When you are at the pool by 8am that is a long time to keep the kids entertained.

Perhaps it was the fact that we had already spent a week in Fiji (it took me 3-4 days to relax and just accept that drinks etc will turn up eventually, you will get them just not in the time you are used to in Australia or NZ. The problem is that there are plenty of waiters but when you go to the bar there is typically 1 person to make the drinks - hmm. The Sofitel was slightly better than our other experiences however the people are so nice and friendly just learn to relax and enjoy the view. Salt Restaurant is fanatstic and we ate here for lunch and most of our dinners, it was too easy. Good food, big enough selection and a minute from the room to walk home at the end of the night. We ventured to the Radisson for dinner one night and it was very good but no better or worse than what we had at the Sofitel.

We had used the kids club at Malolo everyday, actually our daughter went there by herself everyday. We didnt really use the kids club at the Sofitel, it looked like it could do with a bit of work. On the one night our daughter went along my wife accompanied her to the beach bonfire, when they came back my wife reported that it was a disorganised rabble. Perhaps other guests that used it more might have a more insightful review of this area.

Overall we were really happy with our time at the Sofitel, a big full-service resort (especially after being on an island for a week) and deserving of a 5 star rating.

Thank you for taking the time to complete your latest review of our Resort.
I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food served within the resort at our different restaurants as well as the drinks beside the pool, I am sorry about any delay in service time, this is one area we are concentrating on with our training.
I agree with you in regards to our Jnr Suite location and views, these rooms are located in a perfect spot in the resort to take advantage of great views and access to different areas of the grounds.
Thank you for your comments about the timing of the water slide, we are now reviewing this operation and will start to open this feature earlier in the day to help to keep the children entertained. We are also looking at some new activities for the children we are hoping to roll out before the next school holiday break.

Brisbane Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

We just returned from 6 nights at the Sofitel. We had no expectations of the Sofitel as there were too many mixed reviews. We were welcomed at reception by Mary, who was just wonderful; she went out of her way to help us whenever we needed something.

We had booked a Junior Suite and were pleasantly surprised when we were upgraded to an executive suite. This room consists of one bedroom and a lounge room with small kitchenette (basin and large fridge and microwave). This was perfect for us as we have an 8yo. We had to get a roll-a-way bed as there is no sofa bed in room, but this worked out better.

Lounge Room is large and roomy, with a large TV in it. Bedroom is also large with walk in robe, large TV and massive bathroom. There is also a second toilet near the lounge room, which was very handy. The bathroom is large with a spa bath in it (Junior Suites spas are on the Balcony). The showers leak due to being frameless (which is why we had so many wet towels keeping the water away from the carpet)

The only thing that really lets down the Sofitel is housekeeping. The maids will take wet towels and not replace them and turn down was very hit and miss. You are suppose to get free bedside water, but this only came twice( on the 2nd night and 5th night) ,I spoke to the housekeeping supervisor on the 3rd night and he brought us some water. On the 4th night when we didn’t get turn down again or any water I rang him, he came down to our room personally with water then explained that the maid had ticked that she had done turn down on our room and he wanted to see for himself if it had. Maid was then told to come in and do turn down. Next night turn down happened. While I wasn’t worried about my bed being turned down, I did want the water as it is very expensive to buy.

I suggest if you want to do the water sports at Sofitel that you book a few days ahead as it does get busy.

The pool area is lovely but getting a lounge chair is near impossible as people are reserving these as early as 6.30am. There is a sign that states not to do this, but no one complies with this. We never got a chair until about 3pm when people started going back to their rooms. You will see heaps of chairs where no one ever sits only their towel (mainly parents saving chairs for their kids). If this was to be policed better that would be good, as it would be fairer to those who actually would sit in them.

Other than the housekeeping, we loved the Sofitel and would definitely come back; it is a good location to the Marina, where you will find good restaurants at reasonable prices. I recommend The Terraces for a massage; it was cheaper than the other resorts, and a good massage.

For hair braiding, you get what you pay for. A cheap braid is $60FJD with no cornrows (and not done very well). We went to the Sofitel Mandara Spa to get our daughters’ hair done, as I went to a few places to see the quality of the work, and found that Jessie at Mandara Spa (at the Sofitel) was excellent. Our daughter had cornrows and loose braids all over. I negotiated a price before I booked as the prices stated at the Spa are very expensive.

Food & Drinks at the Sofitel are expensive compared to the Marina but if you have an advantageplus card member ( details and costs are on Sofitel website) it works out cheaper and affordable (50% off main meals).

We loved our time in Fiji, and would come back to the Sofitel though I would suggest trying and getting a suite instead of a room, as it is better value for money.

Thank you for taking the time to complete your latest review of our Resort.
I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I noticed your comments about the problems with gaining a sun lounge by the pool. Yes we do have signage asking guests not to do this, we are now starting to enforce the procedure of removing towels and items left on sun lounges in the mornings to ensure only guests using the area can hold a lounge chair and not leaving a sun lounge un attended for hours with a towel and hat placed on it.

I was also happy to hear that you were able to use our Mandara Spa during your stay. Thank you for taking such great photos of your holiday especially the shot showing the spa area, i thought it turned out well and shows how beautiful this area is.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

There is nothing outrageously wrong with the Sofitel, but by the same token there is nothing fantastic either. We came to the Sofitel from the Intercontinental on the Coral Coast and the difference was huge. When you arrive at the Sofitel you definitely don't feel like a valued guest and the decor in general look s a bit dated. To be fair, because the family room we had booked wasn't available we were given interconnecting rooms at no additional cost.

The rooms are clean and the beds comfy, but the bathroom is tiny - just a bath and toilet with the sink in the kitchen area. Again, nothing really wrong but compared to the Intercn's huge rooms, high ceilings, fabulous outdoor cleopatra baths and huge bathrooms it just felt like a big step down. The food was good, but not cheap. We mostly ate at Salt (which has a kid's menu), but found the noodle restaurant and nuku at the Hilton next door were great. Oh and the cafe near the entrance makes the best flat white/ lattes etc we had in Fiji.

The kids loved the waterslide. The Kid's Club staff are lovely, but the Kid's Club hardly seems to get used so the kids didn't really want to go much. They did still do lots of activities even though it was only our kids there, which was to their credit.

Basically, I wouldn't spend anytime in Denarau, unless you had to when you flew in and out. Now with V Australia flying in early there probably would not be a need to stay in Denarau. You could be anywhere lying at the pool at the resort and would probably find better beaches at home. Not sure if it was just a coincidence, but there were alot of very loud, crass people there and the kids certainly heard alot of swearing round the pool. Guess that's just the luck of the draw!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
, General Manager at Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your latest review of our Resort after your stay.
I was please to read that your children enjoyed the facilities with the kids club and water slide. I was also glade to read you enjoyed our Salt Restaurant and new cafe located at our hotel entrance, we use the upgraded manfriedi beans to ensure the fantastic taste.
I would like to apologize for any bad language used by other guests around the pool area, I have asked our activities staff who work around the pool area to take extra special care to keep an eye on this for the future. I also thought it was a shame you didn't enjoy the Denarau Island, there are some fantastic restaurants and bars located on the Island along with a first class golf course and marina facility. From here you can visit the local islands and reefs for day tours or longer as required, and truly experience Fiji. You can also use the Bulla Buses and visit the other resorts and facilities located on the Island as a great way to spend a day.
I hope you visit Fiji again in the near future and try our Island again.

Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

I spent five nights at the Sofitel in June. This was our first time in Fiji. I did as much research as possible on all hotels on Denarau. Is incredible reading all the reviews for hotels - some so positive then the next person saying dont stay there. So arrived at the Sofitel not knowing what to expect and with some trepidation. First impressions where very positive. The staff are fantastic and welcoming, to level I havent experienced in any other country. Check in smooth. We booked a sea view room. Was nice but a little bit tired. Very clean and reasonable size but just seemed like it was ready for a renovation. Pool area and gardens beatiful but we prefered to lounge on the beach under the palms which was just perfect. Alot has been written about the beach. Yes it is not the Gold Coast with golden sand & crystal clear water but we still loved it and went swimming in the sea rather than the pool. We made sure we got a deal with breakfast included as we had read so much about the price of food on the island. Breakfast was great all you could expect. Food prices are expensive. Had some nice meals at Salt. The Sofitel is in a great location. Easy walk to the Port which has more eating options. Would I return to the Sofitel. Yes but would pay more for a one bed apartment with a full kitchen so you have more options when it comes to food.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 7, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your latest review when visiting the Sofitel.
I though your two photos were also great showing our guest rooms and garden areas. I was especially please to ready that you were happy with our friendly staff and efficient check in to the hotel as this is one area of our service we have been concentrating on during this high season.
You mentioned that you may book a larger room next year, please be aware that we do have a variety of suites available of which some have kitchenettes which can make things easier especially when traveling with children.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel again in the near future.

Adam Laker

Been to Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!