“Fantastic, very relaxing with everything available at the Sofitel to make it a memorable time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

The first thing I experinced on my arrival at the Sofitel, was how friendly & helpful the staff were, everyone smiling & happy, just the enviroment you want to be in when on holiday.
My room was great, I had a walk in wardrobe to hid things out of the way. Plenly of space in the room with a very comfortable bed, a couch, table & chairs in fact everything you could want & yes the air conditioning worked great. The pool area was fantastic & once agian the staff were amazing,they just seemed to be in the background &know when you wanted to order something. I found the selection of resturants & other amenties very good, which mean't I didn't need to leave the complex in my 7x days, other than to go too an Island for the day.
I would definitely recommend the Sofitel to anyone. A very enjoyable enviroment were you could see the staff were there to make ensure you had a good time.
I look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
, General Manager at Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your latest review.
I was please to read that you enjoyed your latest stay with us, I will pass you positive comments onto my team as it is always nice to know that our hard work is appreciated.
I was especially proud to read that our friendly staff made such a large impact on you as a smile and warm greeting is was Fiji is all about.

I look forward to welcoming you back again to the Sofitel Resort.

Adam Laker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Turkish first
New South Wales, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

On reading these reviews, I see we are not alone with the problems we experienced at Sofitel Fiji. The reception staff in particular are noteworthy or their "don't care - can't help you" attitude and if we had not come here at the end of our stay, we would have just thought this is how things operate in Fiji and had a very negative opinion of Fiji in general.

As another poster mentioned - this is a VERY beautiful hotel - if your room is ever ready - but when it finally is - the negative attitude of staff throughout the hotel puts a downer on your whole holiday. The Sofitel was by far the worst experience of service we experienced during our entire stay in Fiji and that included everything from 3* to 5* hotels and various tour operators, taxi drivers, restaurant staff and village people all over the country. If you want lovely rooms (with dirty towels) in gorgeous surrounds with a fantastic pool and every facility available to you and don't care about friendly faces, excellent service or waiting forever for simple requests to be attended to (such as getting pillows on your bed) - stay at the Sofitel. If you expect more and want to truly enjoy your Fijian holiday experience - stay elsewhere.

Although we slept here for 3 nights, we spent ALL of our time out of the resort and did not spend one extra cent here just on principal. In a way it was good that the Sofitel gave us such a negative experience or we would not have got out and had such a good time on our day trips and tours.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your latest review.
I was please to read that you liked the appearance design and facilities available at our resort.
however i was very disappointed to read you comments about our reception staff. I agree that these employees are very important as they are one of our first employees to welcome and greet our arriving guests , we take your comments very seriously and so have organised extra training on guest service for this team.

I look forward to welcoming you back again to the Sofitel Resort.

Gisborne, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

This trip was our 3rd time to Fiji, and we just loved the time that we spent at the Sofitel Resort. The actual resort is very tidy and clean, and the rooms are of moderate size and are more than comfortable enough. Because it was just the 2 of us traveling, when we booked our fiji holiday we requested a King Single, which is just a king sized bed minus the other queen bed which is usually in most of the rooms. Would totally recommend doing this as it gives you heaps more space in your units. Because we went to the Supermarket in Nadi and stocked up on soft drinks, snacks and other stuff, we requested that the mini bar was removed from our room - more room for our duty free as well! It was good to have access to free washing machines and clothes dyers at the Sofitel, not like in other resorts where you have to pay to use both. We both totally loved the pool area and spent hours and hours reading and swimming. The beach at Denarau isn't very nice for swimming (just like the rest of the mainland fiji beaches), but some people were happily swimming in the sea.

The Buffet breakfasts every morning were really really good and had an awesome selection of all types of food. Be sure to try the pancakes, they totally rocked!
We had 3 beautiful meals at the Salt Bar and restaurant, all were about $30 a head and the service was really good. We never ate any other evening meals at the other Sofitel Restaurants because we didn't like how expensive they were. We also had a brilliant meal at the Thai restaurant at the Hilton Resort, which was also about $30 per person, and was just 5 minutes walk along the beach. For all the rest of our evening meals whilst we were in Denarau, we either caught the Bula Bus ($6 for all day pass) or we caught a Cab/Taxi ($5 per trip) to Port Denarau and we ate at various restaurants and our meal prices ranged from $10 - $45 per person. Had many a drink at the Hard Rock Cafe, which has reasonable drink prices. The Cocktail Bar on the top floor by Sofitel reception had really good happy hour specials and often had some good bands playing.

We didnt have any Spa treatments at the Sofitel resort but on recommendation from an Air NZ Flight attendant, we had massages at the Tiare Orchid Spa (which is located at the Golf Terraces Apartments, right beside the shopping centre at Port Denarau). A full hour massage was only $55! And it was pure bliss, very very good massage skills - which is saying a lot because I am the Queen of Massages! It was so good that we had to go back for more!

Sofitel resort was a really good base for us and we stayed here for 8 nights prior to going out to an island. At times the Reception were a bit behind the 8th ball at responding to requests, i.e took over 4 hours before they got someone to remove the minibar (even though they said that they were sending someone straight away) and it took 2 hours before someone came and opened our safe when it jammed up. However, overall we would rate the service as excellent. We also used Rosies Tour Desk a few times to book a couple of day trips and they were good to deal with. One suggestion is that you do your homework first (i.e read reviews on trip advisor re; good snorkeling etc ...) as sometimes Rosies Tour Desk were recommending islands and saying that they had good snorkeling etc... and we knew from previous trips to fiji and trips to the islands concerned, that they soo did not have good snorkeling! In this case be like me and ask them "have you ever been to the island you are recommending?" and you will find that 9 times out of 10 that they haven't even been there. If you are like us and are after a good day snorkeling trip, we can totally recommend the day trip cruise to Octopus Resort in the Yasawa Islands. Although you only get 4.5 hours at the resort (because the rest of the time is spent traveling in the high speed catamaran), the beautiful coral reefs and fish are so worth it! In fact we have snorkeled at a few different spots in the Yasawa Islands and they have all been way better than any of the islands that we have either visited or stayed on in the Mamanuca Island Group. The Sea Spray Sailing trip was also good - but the snorkeling wasn't anything to be raved about. The Crew on the Seapray were very entertaining though and the trip to the Fijian Village on Yanuya Island was definitely humbling experience.

Instead of playing golf with all the other tourists, we played a few rounds of Golf with the locals at the Nadi Airport Golf Club - cost $35 to play and $20 Cab/Taxi each way. Was awesome and we made some good friends. The Fitness centre at the Sofitel Resort was also good, the equipment was relatively new and in good condition.

Having previously stayed on the Coral Coast and on the outer islands, we would definitely return to stay at Sofitel again. Sofitel is definitely a good place to stay either before or after you have stayed on one of the other islands, its location is really handy. We will definitely be staying here again next year before we go back out to the Yasawa Islands!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your latest review of our hotel.Thank you for your kind words and please be assured I have passed them onto my team. I also would like to apologize for the delay you experienced in getting your safe opened and your mini bar cleared, I have personally followed this up with my House Keeping team to ensure there is a faster response time for future requests.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Resort & Spa here in Fiji.

sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

I have been to Fiji on quite a few trips both for business conference and leisure trips. I have stayed at the Sheraton, Westin, Radisson, Shangrila etc etc. We booked a week at Malola Island and decided to stay at the Sofitel to try it our for 3 nights. This was the worst holiday decision that I have ever made. We arrived at the Sofitel in Denarau in the evening with our 1 and 3 year old children. The went through the entire check in and we where told to take a seat with heaps of other people waiting. After they left us waiting for at least half an hour we where told that they had over booked the hotel and they where trying to find accommodation. (This took another hour). They where aware of the issue from the day before but had done nothing up to now. Eventually at 10:30pm we were advised that they could only get us into a flea infested dive back at the airport. Not nearly the same standard. We where not compensated and the management of the process was dreadful. We asked if there was any accommodation anywhere in Denarau - we did not mind paying in the difference at any cost The answer was no and that the entire Island was fully booked. Everyone was sent on the airport hotel. In the morning everyone was calling around to find that the Sheraton did have accommodation available. Luckily we went straight on to the Islands but I did feel sorry for the people that had booked a week at the Sofitel (paid in full ) and where told to claim the money back. They still had to pay the airport hotel direct. I will never try and stay at the Sofitel again. Please be warned.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
, General Manager at Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

I was disappointed to read your review . Sadly in this industry sometimes hotels become over booked due to various reasons. This was the case for ourselves only a week or so ago while you were planning on staying with us. Please be assured that we tried our best to allocate all guests accommodation either within our hotel or near by five star resorts, sadly on this occasion the nearby resorts were also experiencing the same problem as our selves and so relocating guests to the Nadi area.
I can only apologise again for this inconvenience and assure you that we have implemented new measures to limit the chance of this happening again to any future guests.
I hope that you will give us the opportunity in the future to show you our true level of service experienced within our resort. I would be happy to handle your booking personally through our resort contact details.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

From the moment we pulled up in the driveway I knew this was a special place. A pair of Fijians welcomed us with a traditional song which was the perfect way to start the holiday. The rooms were spacious and clean, the pool and dining facilities were outstanding and the staff were an absolute delight! The Sofitel catered to our every need providing service to the standards of and world class resort with a warm Fijian smile as a bonus. This was a very memorable experince and I would rate the Sofitel the best of all the resorts on Denarau Island!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 26, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort and the service your experienced. I have taken the liberty of sharing your feedback with my team.
I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Stayed at the Sofitel for 8 days to celebrate my birthday with 5 friends and we didn't want to leave! Sofitel was the perfect base to explore Nadi & the Mamanuca Islands, and the fact that you can use the neighbouring resort's facilities was a definate bonus. The hotel was great, huge pool and the rooms look out over beautiful gardens and the ocean. The staff were awesome (esp Steve from housekeeping) - reception and concierge were really helpful when it came to organising adjacent rooms and scooters to hire for a day. The girls in the day spa were really friendly - definately recommend a massage or two. Buffet breakfast was always up to standard and I even got sung Happy Birthday in the restaurant one morning, complete with a cake :) Overall, the perfect holiday! We'll definately be back one day. Vinaka Vaka Levu!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort and the service your experienced. I have taken the liberty of sharing your feedback with my team, especially with Steven, our Executive Housekeeper who you had mentioned .
I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

West Auckland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

A very frustrating experience. Was booked for 5 nights. On arriving at 6pm was told our room was not ready and to wait. Then we (2 of us) were told they had overbooked and that they were sending us to their sister hotel, the Novitel. We spent 3 nights out of 5 at this hotel which was utterly disappointing and inferior to the Sofitel. We kept meeting alot of tourists with the same story and a Fijian taxi driver told me this is what they do all the time.My advice is don't leave the hotel if they tell you they are overbooked and insist that they find you a room. We booked through an agency and paid top money. I wanted a resort on a beach. The Novitel is not on a beach , is very basic, has no activities, one restaurant with very poor food. The Sofitel is a beautiful resort if you can get to stay in it!!

• Stayed June 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

I was very disappointed to read your latest review of your stay. Sadly during peak season periods hotels do become over booked for various reasons. This was the case a week or so ago when you had chosen to stay with us, please rest assured that we did try everything we could to try and accommodate all bookings either in this hotel or in a near by resort. unfortunately we were unsuccessful for all guests. This is an extremely rare occurrence at our resort and we have now made changes to our booking system to try to eliminate this happening again to future guests.
I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future .

Adam Laker

Been to Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!