“Great (albeit big resort type) hotel in Fiji” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji

You added The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji to your Saves list
The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   P.O. Box 9081, Denarau Island North, Denarau Island, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Denarau Island
San Francisco, CA
“Great (albeit big resort type) hotel in Fiji”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

This gorgeous resort is part of Starwood's exclusive island on Denarau. Having stayed in other parts of Fiji as well on this trip, the multi-resort area which includes this property felt a bit insulated from what I would personally consider the "real Fiji," but for those looking for a perfectly groomed and laid out, full service resort with all the amenities, this is a great option.

Note that Denarau is very close to the airport. Also, the hotel has 2 floors but the upper is not accessible by elevator so ask for the ground floor if this could be an issue for you.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

Great resort but it is just that a resort. We booked last minute so we only had a few places to pick from. Only downfall is that we prefer to explore the culture and Denereau Island is completely devoid of it, really commercialized.

The hotel itself was clean and luxurious. The room was fantastic and we loved the shower, no dribbling fall here. Food was good although a bit expensive but hey it was a 5 star resort so it is to be expected. Not much of a nightlife here.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone just wanting to go to the resort and relax and not really do much else. Otherwise head out to the islands and see the beauty Fiji has to offer.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

This was my second trip to Fiji. We deceided to go for a long weekend (3 nights) and it was just the break I had hoped for. Due to the short stay we stayed on Denaurau and didn't venture off to the other islands. I was worried that I was going to have a Fijian experience as the main island isn;t as tranquil as the smaller ones but The Westin had a really authentic Fijian feel to it. I stayed at The Hilton last time for one night and I felt The Westin had a much more authentic feel. The lobby is lovely and the pool area is gorgeous.

We stayed in an Ocean front room on the top floor- I would reccommend this as I do think it made the difference to our stay. The views at sunset are just beautiful. I found the room very quiet and peaceful- the whole resort was quiet so I was very surprised to read on here about noise complaints. The room was lovely. It was modern with plasma TV and modern bathroom fittings, yet traditional with wooden furniture and open beams on the ceiling. The bed was so comfortable! Sheets can be changed daily upon request. The room was clean except for a bit of dust on some of the cupboards and in the wardrobe but this is minor. Fijians are defintely more laid back than most! The bath/shower/toilet is seperate to the sink/vanity area. The vanity area is new and modern and lovely, but the bath/toilet room is older and very basic. The shower pressure was great- I was pleasantly surprised by this as I'd read lots of reviews about poor water pressure.

We ate in the steakhouse one evening and had a lovely meal. We sat at a table on the sand by the water and yes the waitress did forget our drinks but once she was reminded they arrived straight away. Our meal came in good time. I has a steak and it was beautifully cooked.

Breakfast is good at the hotel- standard buffet breakfast (chocolate croissants partcularly worth a mention!)

We also had a couples massage at the hotel spa which was fantastic. You have a massage side by side in the outdoors and then are whisked off to an outdoor bath together and left alone to relax which was just lovely.

There were always plenty of sunloungers either by the pool or by the ocean. There was waiter service all day for drinks and food. The waiter remembered our room number and drinks each day and went out of their way to attend to you.

We requested a late check out on the day we were leaving and it was no problem at all. The hotel was fairly busy as well as it was bank holiday weekend. There was a good mixture of couples and families.

All in all the hotel is perfect for a short break. I could have stayed another couple of days happily.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

Having stayed in the Westin in Melbourne, I was delighted to have the opportunity of being whisked away on a romantic weekend to Fiji! Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I was excited to say the least ESPECIALLY because it was a Westin.

Upon arrival we were greeted by a vague receptionist who eventually got us checked in, albeit early, and we were popped into a little buggy to be driven to the room. The surrounding garden's were pretty, but oh dear, we pulled up in front of what can be best described, as concrete blocks on top of each other. We had also (thankfully, looking back) been put in the furthermost room, on the bottom level. This was a blessing in disguise as it was a noisy resort so it was good to be away from the main section.

The room tried to be traditionally fijian with lovely decorations, but it was still a square box with debatable furniture and badly plastered walls. The bathroom came with a small bath and small shower area that was badly finished and had small bits of mould. The separate toilet was useful. Most towels had holes in them, or were badly frayed which wasn't overly pleasant.

The bed was a heavenly bed, however the sheets smelt a little odd. On our last night, we also discovered a blood stain on the main top duvet (which was not changed when the bed was made), but we did not use this as it was warm. They actually supplied 2 quilts which struck me as overkill due to the climate. Another down side to the actual room is that noise carries quite badly. We heard the people upstairs ALL night long (good on 'em I say, glad someone had a good time!) due to the wooden floors.

The resort itself was average, and having walked to the other 2 hotels next door, was still average. Average is probably the best way to describe this hotel so if you want luxury, privacy and romance, I'd suggest you stay elsewhere. Alternatively, stay with the cheaper hotels and walk up to this one. The facilites are shared between the 3.

There is one positive, and that is the couples massage in the spa. Worth every single penny (and it is expensive), but the glorious massage and shared bath afterwards made the stay worthwhile. I am very glad we were only there for 2 nights.

Complaints:

* Blood stain on main duvet which was not changed, despite leaving it on display for the cleaners.
*Smelly duvet - prob because they do not change them. See above.
*12" black HUGE centipede found in toilet. Was not removed and found crawling by my bag later on in the evening.
*Noise due to the wooden floors. Do insist on a top level room, or hope that no-one wear shoes/has noisy s3x all night :).
*Grill restaurant had appallingly bad service. I understand the concept of Fiji time, but 45 mins for food to arrive (not to mention the forgotten beer/desserts/water).

Without looking into the history of this resort, i would imagine that it used to be owned by some cheap travel company. They have done the best atmosphere wise that they probably can to make it feel nicer, but it just comes across as average, verging on insulting due to the price. The place was also extremely empty yet no upgrades were provided.

Lastly, you can taste the Kava drink each night in the square thing in the middle of the resort. Ask at reception for details, in fact, ask at reception for everything and anything. No information is provided in the room, and they don't like answering the phone, nor following through on info provided over the phone.
Lastly, if you want to book the tennis courts, you have to go over to the golf shop and book through them. They do not like to work late, so you will probably only get to play during the day.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

Our first impression of the resort was it was the most beautiful place we have ever stayed at. Then on the 3rd night of our holiday our room was infested with rats. You could understand how unsanitary this is especially when I was travelling with not only myself and husband but a 19 month old infant. The reason we stayed at the Westin was because we had a child and wanted to stay in a nice and safe resort.

Instead what we paid for was a room infested with rats.

It all began on the 3rd night at midnight when I kept hearing noises. I didn't think much of it and went back to bed. However at 3am I was awoken to movement noises in one corner of our room. When I turned on the light I screamed as I saw two rats scattering across the bench under the TV. We tried ringing the reception and various other numbers on our phone but no one was answering. Lucky my son continued sleeping while my husband tried to calm me down. My husband searched the room and told me it is late and lets try and get some sleep. As you could possibly imagine trying to sleep again was impossible. By 4:45 I was in hysterics as I was hearing actual rat noises from the corner near the bathroom. My husband looked and saw 3 baby rats. By then I was screaming and crying, my son woke up scared especially when he saw me hysterical. I tried to calm down and comfort him but couldn't. We rang reception who eventually arrived at our room at 5am and evacuated us to room 2 doors away and assured us no more rats would disturb us.

I was offered one free dinner for our inconvenience. I advised reception that is not acceptable for one night living with rats. The Westin is expensive to stay at and asked for a free dinner and lunch. We agreed that would be okay and I would advise the following day where I would like to eat. I was told it could be at any of the restaurants at the Westin or Sheraton. We of course choose to eat at the Sheraton as the Steakhouse grill was the worst meal we had ever eaten. My son's fish was like rubber and the meat was not even cooked correctly. Anyhow by the time we returned with our answer as to where we were going to eat we were told we could not have lunch. What type of resort promises one thing and then changes their mind?

Anyhow the story has not yet ended. The 4th day arrived and we started afresh in our new room. Guess what? Rats appeared again that night. This time only two, like that is a consolation prize. You could understand my total disgust at the Westin for allowing this to happen again. There was no food in the room or nappies and it was spotless as I had cleaned the room even though housekeeping had already cleaned it. I wanted to make sure it was completely spotless. As you can imagine a cleaning holiday is not what I paid for nor did I pay to sleep with rats.

After seeing these 2 rats I tried to call reception or anyone that would answer only to find that the telephones in our room did not work. What is going on at the Westin this is ridiculous? I did not pay for this. I would have gotten a better room at a backpackers resort. Anyhow my husband said we could walk to reception but I was too scared to leave the room. Plus I could not disturb my son again and wake him. That is just cruelty to children so I and sat on my bed watching TV till breakfast opened at 6:30am.

At 6:30am I went straight to reception to plead my case instead I burst into tears. The exhaustion and horrific experience had taken over. They finally agreed to give us our dinner and lunch for the first night of rats and nothing for the second night. Personally I did not want anything from them, I wanted to check out. Instead they moved us to a totally different block not infested with rats. Furthermore, we were advised by a few of the workers that the block we were staying out is renowned for rats. Clean it. Get it fumigated or close it down. Wouldn't that be a logical answer?

As we were checking out the Office Manager agreed to refund us through our travel agent the money for the 2 nights we were inconvenience. We never received that money. Once again they changed there mind.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Lahaina, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

This was our first trip back since being married here 6 years ago. It used to be the Royal Denerau but since changed to the Westin. The changes to the resort are excellent.
We were upgraded to ocean front top floor. Very nice room, comfy bed, flat screen tv(about 8 channels+movies) vaulted ceilings, nice dbl vanity area. The only thing they did not change was the bathtub/shower room. Toilets were new in there though.
I'm constantly amazed at people who are surprised that this resort does not have the white sand. Ask your travel agent or do some research before booking a trip!!! Anywhere!!
My wife and I both thought it was the best (authentic) looking resort on Denerau. The others looked nice but could be in Hawaii.
Cost was not an issue for us as the Fiji dollar is less than 1/2 of the US dollar. so a $19fj drink is typical anywhere at a hotel.
New pool area and spa are beautiful, although the spa in now in the spot we got married. Everything changes:) No pools are heated so they can be chilly
No as far as service goes: Everyone bent over backwards for us, BUT...... Being from the US we TIP for service done well. They remember you and do all that is asked. Always smile and BULA!
Daytrips and restaurants are nearby at the marina. $4 Bula bus all day ticket.
Try "Chefs" and the Italian place. There is pizza and a Hard Rock as well as a few others.
Please use these sites for research and a with a grain of salt as not everything is for everyone.
We love Fiji and it's people so enjoy it as best you can. You"re on vacation!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
brisbane australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

Our stay at Westin Denarau was wonderful. Staff very friendly and would do anything to make you comfortable. Westin buffett breakfast was terrific, included free champagne. It was very quiet when we were there as was just after the big cyclone flooding. Be advised tho that the resort restaurants (all resorts) are very expensive. I would advise to hop on the blue Bula bus, $4.50 for a day pass, and go to Denarau marina to eat. great restaurants at good prices. South Sea Island day trip worth the money as was the Robinson Crusoe Island dinner cruise.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji? Share your experiences!