“Fairly good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji

You added The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji to your Saves list
The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   P.O. Box 9081, Denarau Island North, Denarau Island, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Denarau Island
“Fairly good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Ive been to Fiji four times previously and stayed at the Sheraton, Shangri La and hideaway and thought i'd give the Westin a shot.

I don't know how to write this review as some things were amazing about the resort and other things below what we expected- however it was still a nice place to stay overall.

Do the following when booking this resort to have a better stay:

1. Upgrade to ocean view - we were in a garden room but were upgraded on day 3 as our internet and Tv hadnt worked since day 1 in the garden room. What a difference! Like night and day- better room, lighter, newer, better features, tiles, paint job, separate toilet ( in the garden view the shower is over the bath - we went from depressed and dowdy to happy and relaxed. Glad to finally be helped with the TV/ Internet Issue. Our garden view room was also quite dirty with bugs all over the bathroom light ( which is in a recess ) and long black hairs in the bath. The ocean view room was spotless.

2. Include breakfast as part of your package or you will find yourself looking for something decent to eat by day 3 and spending the same amount anyway ordering food from the breakfast restaurant.

3. Do your research- we ate at the Port Denarau ( a bus ride away ) a lot as last time we went, it was cheaper than the resort by 50%. We were a little shocked to see the prices at the Marina have doubled and noticed on day 4 ( after spending most nights at the Port ) that the resort restaurants were cheaper in some cases and had more variety. Do yourself a favour also and get to know the other resorts on the Island as anyone is welcome to dine in their restaurants ( like the mexican at the Wyndham).

4. Don't forget everything is in FIJI dollar and you need to add 20% VAT tax in most cases. Makes for an expensive lunch and cocktail ($24 FJD and lunch $30 FJD + 20% ) by the pool. The Westin has a fantastic bakery which does sandwiches and mini burgers for half the price and you can eat them at the poolside.

The Westin has some great qualities, the gym, the day spa, the best pool, great lounge bar and some great staff.

Make sure you take enough money and book some trips to the outer islands to break up the stay.

Also if you have ANY issues don't be relaxed about it like we were as it just won't get resolved for days.

Hope this review helps.

Room Tip: Dont do Garden View.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
RavinderSDhesi, Hotel Manager at The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Bula Jasmine
Thank you for your detailed feedback. Whilst we are delighted with the positive experiences you had with us, we will address the shortfalls you have identified, my apologies for these. We are progressively renovating our guest rooms as you have highlighted and will start with the tropical garden views in 2014. We appreciate your balanced comments on food & beverage prices at our resort.
We look foward to your return visit to display our improvements - do let me know when you are travelling next.

Ravinder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

We stay for only a short few days here so it not going to be a long review. Overall it was a good stay, friendly staffs, a few small things to improve on like check in process. It took us soo long to check in when there was only about 5 people checking in, the process was 20+ minutes and only water was offer to some of the guess waiting to check in? Expect better from a 5 star resort. Fruit juice & cold towels would be good. Room was clean however bathroom could be better mould can be seen around bath tub, crack tile & have an outdated feel compare to the vanity area outside bathroom. Mini bar that does not work, cant keep water cold quite frustrating when it is 30+ degree outside. Cleaning staff leave hand towel in the vanity sink, must be distracted by something and left.
Pro: *clean & tidy (room & ground)
* friendly staff, expect to see smile & hear 'bula' from all staff
* restuarant food pricey but good quality
*complimentary brown bula bus
*good room size
*hotel ground is very well look after

Con: *bathroom need improvement
*slow check in process
*overprice room service
*mini bar not working

• Stayed December 2013
Bula Tkpl000

We appreciate you choosing to stay at The Westin and providing us with your feedback. You have certainly highlighted our positives which we are proud off. The welcome drink and cold towel is part of our arrival experience and my apologies that this wasnt offered to you. We are renovating our bathrooms progressively and hope to have all completed in 2014 which will address the shortfalls you have highlighted.

Seasons Greetings and best wishes for 2014.

Townsville, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

What a great 8 nights at Westin Denaru - its a great property, well maintained, with great staff where nothing is a problem. Our room was spacious and comfortable and well serviced, the aircon worked well and silently, an added bonus, and we were 50 meters from the sea, and 100 meters from the bars, resturants and huge swimming pool. All the staff were friendly and the girls and boys at the bar, ably led by Seara, ensured that we were hydrated, appropriately, in the warm climate.
Breakfast was included in our tariff and was a totally worthwhile inclusion. The quantity and variety of the foods available was teriffic - freshly processed fruit juices, while you watch, resulted in a great product, especially as you could experiment with a variety of fruits to turn into your 'breakfast health cocktail', just fabulous. Be careful of the coffee though - I personally like a good long black with no additives, but, the daily offering was far to strong and 'thick' for me, and brother, even though he doctored it with milk and sweeteners, didn't adapt to the brew either.
The guys at the welcome desk were just great - each time we were heading to golf they herded us to a buggy and drove us to the golf club, and if we were heading to the harbour or elsewhere, they made sure we were hopping on the correct 'bula' bus (another story there, and good fun - can someone that follows me, let me know if 'SpringElvisSteen' is still belting it out on the bus from Westin to the harbour - what an entertainer - just don't let the fact that he can't sing affect the 'moment' - and give the poor old bugga a tip as you dismount the green bus').

Check-in/check-out was easy, however, we must've looked like bad guys, as even though we had paid our whole package in advance, the check-in clerk, quarantined another $1170 as a security deposit, and well, I didn't argue as we were tired and wanted a shower, cuppa etc. Thats fine for us, but others may not have the capacity to have that sort of money quarantined, in addition to fully paid package costs.

(Not to do with hotel - but with corporate management) I've been a Starwood member for a decade, and my membership wasn't recognised at check-in, and I just would'nt be bothered re-enrolling, as I was asked to do - if it's an international scheme, let it be so! Is the Pacific/Asia so far removed that existing membership doesn't apply? The exact same situation occurred in Lombok, Indonesia last year. It appears that if you are not in the Americas/Europe membership is not worthwhile.

If there is to be a grumble, turn the shower on while you have a shave, or make the coffee, and by the time you have done that the hot water will have arrived (Fiji time) - but there is plenty of heat when it gets there - Overall, a great hotel, great staff and a great stay.

Room Tip: Its a well designed resort, so I don't really think there is an advantage from one accom block t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Bula anthonyjw2
As a Top Contributor to Trip Advisor, we appreciate your thorough feedback and are delighted to have added positively to your vacation in Fiji. As a standard industry practice we do hold an amount to secure the payment of incidental expenses during your stay and upon check out the payment is offset against this hold, any surplus is released to your card. I have sent you a private message in regards to your Starwood membership so I may be of assistance. I will get the Chief Engineer to address the hot water problem.

Please do let us know when your travels bring you back to Fiji.

Newcastle,Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I have just come back from 5 nights at the Westin. Went their with a work friend to relax after a big year at work. We got a great deal of 40% off and a small extra cost to upgrade to an Ocean Front room (worth every cent!). As we were only going for the 5 nights we did not want to waste time on transport connections to the islands (maybe another time) so staying on Denarau Island was fine. We just wanted a resoert style experience. Sitting by the pool and drinking cocktails just doing 'Fiji time'. I have to say that is exactly what we got at the Westin. From check in by the lovely Ana to all the staff we had the best time. We woke up the first morning to a glorious day as seen from our Ocean Front room. Not the most glamorous room but it was very clean, big and well laid out. Probably the only gripe was the noisy AC. The facilities in the resort were great, and after testing all the pools at the other resorts on either side we decided that the Westin pools were the best. Very quiet, peaceful, stylish and most importantly very few kids. Enjoying a cocktail at happy hour and watching the crab races and fire show was enjoyable. Being able to share eating facilities with the Sheritan was a bonus as we tried most. We did venture out to Port Denarau on the Bula Bus one day and also a great day sailing and snorkling with PJ's Sailing another day. Probably our best find was the Lap pool on the last day, we had it to ourselves for several hours as well as a private cabana to lay under. After that we indulged in a totally wonderful massage at the Heavenly Spa. If I have any gripe it is with the wifi access, while it is free the access code changes every day or so, so without warning wifi access is denied and you need to go up to reception to get a new code, it would have been nice to know this upfront. All in all both of us agreed we would come back.

Room Tip: pay the extra and upgrade to an Ocean Front room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Bula Vinaka Cleo002

As a Senior Contributor to Trip Advisor we certainly appreciate your feedback. We are delighted to have provided a relaxing and rejuvenating stay at Westin. Indeed we do have a adults only lap pool area which provides great serenity and our Westin Heavenly Spa provides a great renewal. I will have the wifi access code matter investigated as this should not be the case.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

If you have seen my previous reviews you will see that I stayed in 4 hotels in Denarau in Oct, Nov 2013. This was the 2nd. We booked the suite for ourselves as we were getting married and wanted to have the space to accommodate guests during our stay and a room for my father.

I had a few challenges at check in as my request to have a room close to the facilities for my mobility challenged father was not accommodated even though I had called the hotel weeks in advance to make the request. It took far too long to resolve at checkin and unfortunately they had to change rooms after the first night as the initial room was unacceptable.

The suite is definitely in need of updating as it looks a bit tired but the bedroom was very nice, the shower and ensuite very nice and the balcony and view ..... all very nice,

There were also a few issues on check out. I accidentally left a book in the room. When I asked them for the book they couldn't find it. I even gave them a couple of days to sort it out but they made no effort and I never got the book back which was very disappointing.

We booked the courtesy room at checkout. When we got to the room it hadn't been cleaned. There were dirty towels on the floor and no clean towels for us to use. Again, it took far too long to resolve (apparently they couldn't find any clean towels).

The breakfast was really good, although the process of getting a table is a bit arduous. The bed was comfortable, the rooms clean but tired, the showers nice, and the view was lovely. The staff are mostly helpful, sometime inefficient, but always friendly. Over all it was a pleasant stay but it wouldn't be my first choice of hotels if I return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
RavinderSDhesi, Hotel Manager at The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Bula Vinaka Canadian_KR
Firstly, on behalf of Team Westin, congratulations on your recent wedding and secondly for providing us with your feedback. My apologies for the service shortfalls in certain aspects of your stay. Whilst we are the oldest resort on Denarau, we pride ourselves on having the unique Fijian cultural look and feel with modern facilities. We are continuously improving our service and facilities and I will address the ones mentioned with my team. Thank you for acknowledging our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back for your anniversary to try our renovated spa suites which will be ready by July 2014.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We booked a Royal Suite in November for our wedding in Fiji. I specifically wanted a large room so we could have people back there and it certainly was big enough. Had a great big balcony with direct water views, a small kitchenette with two fridges to store drinks for guests. Shower was great. However the room is tired, had no stereo, all the equipment was old and the unit holding the TV falling to bits. It smelt damp (which I understand being close to the water) but even the upholstery on the chairs smelt. My final and usual bugbear with the Westin was I had to book through a third party website because despite contacting the resort direct they wouldn't price match. Price difference about $100 a night and included breakfast. Overall still enjoyed but if you are going to charge $750 AUD plus a night, then make the room special, I know its the oldest resort on Denarau but you can still modernize. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Bula Konigv
Thank you for your feedback. Congratulations on your wedding. We are pleased to have hosted your special day. Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls mentioned. We do continuously review our service and facilities and your feedback is much appreciated. I will ask our reservations team to review the comments on the rate disparity as highlighted.
Aiea, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I stayed in the tropical garden room 2830, for the first 2 weeks of a 20 day stay. At first glance the room was clean, tile floors, bathroom with tub and shower. Nice bed, and nice garden view. For the first few days, I had to use the ceiling fan, because the ac wasn't seeming to cool the room down, even tho it was running, and set the temp at 20. The little refrigerator wasn't very cold at all, and the complimentary milk in there, I didn't trust. My juice was cool but not cold, and it was hot outside, so I was thirsty a lot. I tried to see a pay movie, 4 times one night. It would charge my room, then not run the movie. I called the desk, they sent a man over, who couldn't fix it. He said it would be fixed tomorrow. That was never done. Then I received a call to upgrade me to a beachfront room, because of construction repairs in my area on the rooms. I was moved from Friday afternoon, until Tuesday morning. That room 2530, was just fine. When I came in the ac repairman was getting everything running---because I did mention the ac problem to the woman at the desk when I reported the movie problems in the first room. Anyways, the AC worked really good, and the movies worked for the first two I rented. The last evening tho, I was really sunburned from fishing, and wanted to take a cool shower. I got in, and for a few minutes the water was cool,,then!!!!!!!!!!!! everything turned hot!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I had to rinse the soap off with hot water!!!! I was mad, because I was so burned........I then went out in the AC, and layed down, and rented another movie,.....about 1/3 thru the movie, it stopped then defaulted back to the main menu........... I was livid,...........and just said to myself,,forget it, I give up........................So the next morning I went to check out, and the desk clerk removed the movie charge from my bill, and asked how my stay was........rather than be rude, I just said it was ok,..she said, "just ok", and went,,,,,,,,,,,,yup, just ok. Then I left, and spent the day with friends, and flew out that night....The whole problem here is the garden room is very expensive per day, and everything should be in working order when you arrive. You shouldn't have to complain right away about things wrong, especially main services, such as AC. And when I was moved to the "nice upgrade" things were fine,-----but those rooms are really expensive in comparison. So I rate my stay---average----for a Motel 6. If I ever stay at the westin again, I'll check everything before I unpack my bags, and if anythings wrong, I'll request another room, immediately.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Bula Vinka Stephen W

Thank you for feedback from your recent extended vacation. Whilst we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, naturally I am disappointed that we failed to deliver our normal excellence in service in certain areas and I will be personally addressing these with the department heads concerned. We are in the process of upgrading our Tropical garden rooms and most of these will be done in 2014. Should your travel plans bring you back to Denarau, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Ravinder

Been to The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji? Share your experiences!