“Pity it rained !!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji

You added The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji to your Saves list
The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   P.O. Box 9081, Denarau Island North, Denarau Island, Viti Levu, Fiji   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Up to 50% Off!
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
australia
“Pity it rained !!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

spent 3 nite here prior to heading to an island. On check in i was told the hotel was over booked and that i'd be moved to the Sheraton Villas...no way...i checked before i left and my room was confirmed..after speaking to the manager is was upgraded to an ocean view room.
it was lovely, spacious and modern...no complaints here..except we could sit on the balcony due to the rain.
The b'fast was good with all the usuals and the steakhouse and the Asia restaurants were also good but a bit overpriced.....due to the bad weather we often caught a taxi F$7 to Port Denarau where there was many bars / restaurants much better food and at a fraction of the price.
there was evening entertainment and happy hours and im sure if the weather had been better we would have enjoyed the resort more....the pool looked lovely...but we did not use it.
I'd say the resort would be good for a short stay or for longer stays use this as a base for day trips to the Islands.....Vinaka

Room Tip: try and get an ocean view room and the 1st floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Korean first
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We recently took a Travelzoo package to the Westin. We arrived at 6.00am in the morning!! We were greeted with a warm welcome and given the key to our room immediately. What a relief as we were really tired! Our room was lovely and clean, I think it has recently been refurbished after the cyclone in December. The bed was the best, really comfortable. The Resort is close to Nandi and the port of Denarau - great for day trips to townor the Islands. The bulla buses are handy for getting around. Overall, we enjoyed our stay, wish we could have been there longer!

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room, but I would get an Ocean front next time - better view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RavDesi, Hotel Manager at The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Bula Rosyblue, Greetings from Westin Denarau
Thank you for your post. We are delighted to have made you stay with us an enjoyable one. Indeed our signature Westin beds are really comfortable and we get great comments on them. Of course we would love to have you stay longer on your next visit sometime in the near future
Vinaka and best regards
Ravinder Dhesi
Hotel Manager
Broken Hill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

After talking my husband into going to Fiji (as he doesn't like travelling) we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday. The Westin was fantastic, from the welcoming drums, the friendly staff and all the amenities. We stayed in a Tropical Garden view room, it was beautiful, it was comfortable and clean. We spent alot of time in the Meke Lounge as I went through the list of cocktails day by day and my husband enjoyed Fiji Gold. The staff were so friendly and efficent.We were always iin the Meke Lounge at sunset to watch the torch lighting and fire dancing each night. It truley is a wind down experience. We loved that every staff member we passed had a "Bula" for us and always a big smile. We loved it so much that my husband wants to go back next year! (so much for not liking travelling lol)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RavDesi, Hotel Manager at The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Bula Vinaka Shazzy_13

We are delighted to have been able to assist in converting your husband to coming back next year. It is great to read that you enjoyed the interactions and hospitality of our warm and friendly staff. Indeed our daily evening unwind ritual does create another level of experience whilst watching the beautiful sunsets. we will definitely change the cocktail list for your next visit.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights in an Ocean Front room and we loved it! From the friendly staff to the large, clean, well appointed room! The hotel has everything and kicking back by the pool with a cocktail and a bowl of truffled french fries became a daily ritual.
You can also freely access all the amenities and restaurants from any of the Starwood resorts on the island and the complimentary Westin run coach meant that some of the guilt from over indulging could be run off.
Definitely will be back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Bula GeorgT

Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted to have been able to contribute to your over indulging from the culinary offerings but also balance that with our Westin Workout (gym) and the Westin run with our recreations team.

We look forward to your return visit.
Dee Why, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

As you get to the hotel in Fiji that sense of amazement is always there. At the Westin they welcome you with the native wood drums (Lali) which is quite nice. Having been to a few Resorts in my time I have to say that grand impression of the resort seems to be a bit more of the same thing. Not that this is a bad thing.

The hotel is the oldest in that part of the island and I actually thought that it is the one with more character. Since the hotels around are very close to each other, I had a chance to look at a couple of the other offerings. The renovated rooms at the Westin are very beautifully finished and do not show their age. I have been located in a renovated room but looking at friend's rooms I saw that the standard is pretty similar all round.

Housekeeping at the hotel was extremely good. The ladies that serviced my room were very understanding when I asked them to do my room after I got ready for the wedding. This was around 3:30pm which is quite late for their shifts. They took extra care with all my clothes thrown around the room. When I got back to the room, everything was folded and organised. I was extremely surprised by this.

I was in Fiji for a friend's wedding and thought that it was the perfect location for it. The rain at this time of the year does not help too much, but the temperature is just lovely and we still enjoyed the pool when it rained. The guys at the bar are very nice at keeping you supplied with drinks as long as you want.

Most of my expenses were bar related and unfortunately I believe that this is the hotel's only shortcoming. The prices for food and beverage are exaggerated if you consider things in Fiji are so much cheaper. The hotel charged more for a beer (local beer) than what I would pay at a pub in Australia. Having been to a bar in Nadi and knowing people that live in Denarau, I was told that the prices there are all similar for the resorts, but as soon as you step out of Denarau, it is a different story.

I was surprised not to find anything in my minibar fridge. I did order room service once and was surprised by the cost. They charge you premium prices, then add a delivery fee and a 20% tax on top. So, one dish for dinner with a can of soft drink cost me F$98. That is around A$50!

When visiting any Fijian place, keep in mind "Fijian time" as it will apply to anything you do. Reception staff were lovely but fairly inefficient due to the lack of internal communication. For example, I was told I could stay in my room until 3pm when checking out but when I went to reception to confirm my transfer to the airport at midday, they told me to vacate the room immediately and they said that if I stayed they would charge me F$20 per hour.

I would definitely go back to this hotel and I hope to come back soon but I will try to be more organised for their sake on my accommodation and also bring a few beverages with me on the way in.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 600"s wing have access to wireless - the only ones in the hotel. I would also ask...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Bula Christian

Appreciate your feedback from your recent stay. Our resort does have a point of difference with the cultural look and feel. We have been progressively renovating our guest rooms and I am glad you liked it. I will pass your appreciation to the housekeeping team. Our F&B prices are comparable with other resorts on the island. Based on guest feedback, we have opted to leave the mini bar fridge empty but do provide an option to order per your needs. We are currently trialling a few wireless providers and will have wireless installed in the whole resort shortly. My apologies on the late check out - I will revisit the procedures with the front office team.

Please do let me know when you are travelling back to our resort
Townsville, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Recently stayed at the Westin for five nights in an ocean front room. The bed was unbelievably comfortable and the room in general was quite good. The Westin is in the best position of all the resorts on Denarau and you are able to charge back to your room from all three of the Sheraton resorts which is really good. The staff are extremely polite and helpful(we Australians need to learn hospitality and ettiquette from the Fijians) at all the resorts even if sometimes they are on fiji time, which made the holiday very relaxing. The restaurant prices a little bit pricey but we received a discount voucher for all meals across the Sheraton resorts and for the high quality of food and the fantastic service the meals were worth the money. Hope to go back again soon.

Bula Vinaka Tallboy_73
Thank you for posting your review of our resort. Indeed we get great feedback on our signature Westin Heavenly beds. I am glad you took advantage of staying at Westin and utilising the facilities at our sister Sheraton properties, with the ease of charging back to your room. Our staff are renowned for their warmth and hospitality, we will work on their "Fiji Time" work ethic. Great to see you enjoyed our high quality culinary offerings.
Be Well and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Sunshine Coast, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have just returned from a 9 day visit to Fiji with my fiance and 2 year old son. Having stayed at the Westin previously , I was happy to have made the right decision to stay there again!!! The hotel is fantastic, the staff are very friendly, very helpful and definately "make" the place a pleasure to be in!!! Our room was always spotless and the housekeeper ladies were fantastic and worked around our babies "nap" times!! We were provided with extra milk and luxury items such as moisturisers, bath wash and soaps!! The food at the hotel restaurants however is very expensive, I must admit the meals were delicious but we did think the prices have increased and the 20% tax is horrific!! We did realise this on our last visit so the convenience of going to Denarau Marina on the Bula Bus was a bonus. There are a few restaraunts there, Hard Rock Cafe (bit pricey too) and a fantastic pizza shop , Mamas Pizza, I swear they are the biggest pizzas i have ever seen and we could not even finish it!!!!
A BIG thankyou to My Holiday Centre for creating my personalised package and making our holiday a very memorable one. The meet and greet at the airport is a fantastic stress-free way to start the holiday and the cruises were a bonus of all bonuses!!!! Thankyou again My Holiday Centre, we will be using you again in the future. :)

Room Tip: The Garden rooms are just as good as the Ocean View rooms, depending on your budget!!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Bula Lysa13
Vinaka for taking time out to post your feedback. We appreciate your loyalty in returning to stay with us. I will be sure to pass your appreciation to the housekeeping ladies. In regards to food & beverage pricing, our prices are comparable to the resorts on Denarau and reflective of the high quality of our culinary offerings. Unfortunately, the 20% is Government tax and beyond our control.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Be Well
Ravinder

Been to The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji? Share your experiences!