“This is a good choice for saving some money on accom in Fiji” 4 of 5 stars

Up to 50% Off!
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brisbane
“This is a good choice for saving some money on accom in Fiji”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

We had a full ocean suite. We found the hotel was dated but had a clasic Fiji charm about it.
The staff were friendly (mostly) and the location was amongst all the resorts on man made Denarau Island.

The hotel itself is quite busy and you might find drinks are a bit pricey for the service and quality provided. I suggest you go to the Marina and have a bit to eat there.

I just would like to stress to anyone visting that this is a country which is military run. Wages are very low and although hotels are making an absolute mint, their staff may be in financial strife. Please tip the staff and do so in cash. I have heard that if you tip staff via credit card that the money will be given to the actual business rather than the individual. I don't know if this is the case with the Sheraton but something to think about. I asked how much one woman working at the hotel was earning and she told me $4/ hour. From what I understand this is considered a good wage in Fiji yet if you drop by the local grocery store you will notice the quality of food is very sub par and the price for that food is more than we pay in Australia.

Visit Nandi town if you get a chance. It will open your eyes.

However, if you just want a relaxing time on the beach the hotel is situated on a man made beach and is quite beautiful. They offer many live shows and are also linked with the Westin so you can enjoy using the facilities there and also marvel at their recent renovations!

The Westin is only a short walk and has great live music (we were there Friday).

We will return and than all the staff and hotel for their hospitality.

Breakfast is great!

If you can get a deal, I would give this hotel a shot!

Room Tip: Get a Beach front room if you can.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Indonesian first
Queensland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

We chose this resort as we had stayed at the Hilton the year before and we were disappointed with the lobby and when we saw the Sheraton lobby and shops we decided to come back to it this year. When we arrived the porter told us to not worry about the bags and to proceed to check in, it was seamless, usual fill out the form and credit card and away we went, when we got to the front again our luggage was on the back of a Golf cart and once we were on board off we went. It was so easy, no dragging cases across the resort, he was very helpful, we chatted and I got some fishing tips from him as well. Great start. Once inside the room ( ocean view ) it was ok, we had a large bathroom with double vanity and one of those showers that has the option of the overhead sprinkler. Tastefully decorated, huge bed, small balcony with a couple of chairs and a table. I would say the rooms at the Hilton are that little bit more stylish and larger. The only thing I would say got to me was the noise the Air Con made, I set it to auto, but the room got hot, I set it to Low and the sound was a little loud, it did however cool the room to perfection. The bed was so comfortable, ( Sealy ) the pillows soft and cosy, I had to use two but felt ok to me. There is a large flat panel TV, Picture was ok but the volume levels differ greatly from one station to another !, on some you need to turn up to the high 60’s but if you dont remember to turn it down and change channel, people in the next block hear it !! We found the staff to be friendly, accommodating, that porter 3 or so days later we bumped into him and he remembered my name, so did the cleaning lady that did our room. I like that sort of attention to detail. Outside the grounds are well kept, the grass is lovely and green, there are trees and plants everywhere, the pathways are easy to navigate and well defined even in the dark. You can get a little lost if you are walking along the beaches, because this resort sits on the corner, divided by the spit, you have to remember which “ocean” you are facing. The beach has a swimming / bathing zone set up outside the front of the Bar, you see what looks to be a stinger net enclosure but this is not the case it is just a rope on the surface, not that I know if they get stingers or not. The pools are on the small side, very busy and we never got to use them, even the adults only had kids in it, we were quite happy swimming in the sea anyway. There is also a slight shortage of lounges on the beaches. We had lunch in the Flying Fish bar and we had the Maui Maui burger, if you go please do yourself a favour and get one, it is superb, fish cooked to perfection. Breakfast time can be a little daunting, we often found long queues, try to have a late breakfast to avoid them, but you may miss out of some of the best food. If you like Eggs there is a Egg Cooking station, you have to queue again, but it is worth it. The buffet has plenty of chooses, but the Hilton was that little bit better quality, they also have champagne which I was surprised to find the Sheraton did not supply.
Overall it was a pleasant stay, they have a food festival in March and we may attend that with some great Aussie chefs going over. We bumped into people who have been going to the Sheraton every year, so it points out that it is a place that repeat customers are present and happy. We also dined at the Port of Call fine dining restaurant which I have reviewed separately.

Room Tip: Ensure you are a Starwoods Preferred guest and let them know prior to booking, we noticed little pla...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I just got married at the Sheraton in Fiji on 29 December 2011. I had the ceremony at the Chapel and the reception at the flying fish restaurant. I had 70 guests. If you need any information, tips etc feel free to email me at jen.dougie@gmail.com.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

We originally booked our reservations with the Westin, but when we got there they told us they were out of rooms due to some constructions work being done to the resort. They told us they moved us to the Sheraton instead. I was a little disappointed since I like the look of the Westin better, but then what can you do? However, I was pleasantly surprised when we got to the Sheraton and found out that we were upgraded to ocean view (from garden view at the Westin).

There was a delay in getting checked in, but the staff was very friendly and offered us something to drink while we waited for our room. The room itself was clean, very spacious and so was the bathroom.

So what was the draw back to this resort?

First, the sand on the beach is covered with shells, which is great if you're collecting them, but it really makes walking barefoot difficult. Plus the water there is pretty murky, not something you would want to swim or wade in.

Second, we went to Feast for breakfast and I can't say that I was that impressed by the selection of fruits. Honestly, I seen a better selection in Hawaii.

Lastly, it's really family oriented, so if you're looking for something that geared more for a couples retreat I would try somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

We have just arrived at the Sheraton after being at the Outrigger on the Coral Coast. It is a beautiful hotel. I have been really disappointed with this hotel. The staff are not friendly and warm - you have to say hello to them before they acknowledge you (a far cry from the Outrigger). At the pool today they ran out of towels and better order drinks and food before you are even remotely hungry as they take forever!! Very disappointing as the price that you pay to stay here doesn't reflect this lack of service.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with kids make sure you request a ground floor room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

If you are going to Fiji to play golf stay away from the Sheraton which owns the golf course on Denarau. The course is terrible and the not tell you about the best course in the Pacific being Natadola Golf Course which is a 40 minute trip from the Sheraton. The Denarau course is in a terrible state and the Sheraton will not spend any money on maintaining the course. The manager of the Sheraton has the idea he can make money out of the course. Someone should tell him you do not make money from golf courses. They are their to attract hotel custom

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Recently stayed at Sheraton Denarau for 9 days (6 adults)....found the cost of food to be outrageous, particularly as there was a 20% tax added to all foods and also another 10% tax.
Food was substandard, fruit salad of only pineapple and watermelon...fruit was sloggy and tasteless for $15 each. Service in eateries very ordinary.
Rooms are tired and tatty. Showers are cold with no pressure. Wardrobe door wouldn't close so closet light on all night. No milk in fridge. Ceiling fan didn't work...repair man appeared at 11pm and shorted out the rest of the fans. Stains on sheets - Towels for pools were not washed and one had the remanents of previous owners nose, ugh.
Cocktails super expensive....won't be back as place is a complete ripoff.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Fiji Resort? Share your experiences!