“Poor value, unhygienic, misleading and disappointing.” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Storck Cruises offer daily cruises to beautiful Savala Island. This day trip is a unique Fiji experience for discerning visitors who prefer a smaller vessel with friendly, professional staff and truly personalized service. The cruise departs at 10.00am from Port Denarau and returns to the Port at approximately 4.30pm. Your return hotel transfer is included. This award winning " Trip Advisor Cruise" is designed for travelers who "simply want the best", who respect our pristine environment and leave only their footprints on our island's beautiful white sandy beach, which is fringed with vibrant coral and crystal clear waters. Your day trip includes: • Morning and afternoon teas with home baked cakes. • Scrumptious BBQ lunch. • Complimentary drinks including beer, wines, soft drinks and bottled water. • Complimentary use of snorkeling gear, kayaks, stand up paddle boards. • Guided coral viewing tours. • Massage & scuba diving are available at extra cost. Storck Cruises are available for private group charters; if you require your own exclusive boat and island for the day or perhaps a charter boat for sunset cocktail cruises.
Rotorua, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
“Poor value, unhygienic, misleading and disappointing.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I wish we'd had the opportunity to read the negative reviews of this day trip before we booked it. It was extremely disappointing and the glossy brochure is extremely misleading. The only good thing about this trip were the staff who were extremely helpful and friendly.

We were under the impression that we would be travelling on a luxurious craft on a 'boutique' style cruise. The reality was a cramped, small, noisy boat with an overwhelming smell of sewerage on the entire lower deck.

The drinks served were basic and beer was close to running out. Food was far from the 'sumptuous' buffet promised in the brochure. I call a tray of lettuce with a few slices of tomato, a tray of simple potato salad, a tray of sausages and a tray of chicken, basic at best.

The island depicted on the brochure bears no resemblance whatsoever to the mound of sand with a few shrubs on it that we were taken to. I would be extremely impressed if indeed any bird life even alighted on this sand pile, never mind nested there as mentioned in the brochure.

I mentioned sand so I also need to mention the rocks - lots of them around most of the island and all of them extremely slippery. The crew shouted out to people numerous times to get off the rocks. This left only a small sand spit that gave relatively safe access to the ocean.

We were offered lots of refreshment on the island and of course nature takes its course and then you need the loo. On a boutique, upmarket cruise I do not expect to have to pee behind a bush. Hardly maintaining the pristine, natural beauty of the island. The thought of walking on sand where possibly hundreds had peed before was not particularly appealing. We were not told that there were no toilets on the island at any point before we got to the island.

I did attempt to explain the misleading nature of the brochure to a representative of the company when we returned, only to be met with the most pathetic flimflam imaginable. She blamed it all on the booking agents, saying they should have explained the trip in greater detail. Her response to the lack of toilets on the island was that the owner wanted to maintain the ecologically pristine nature of the island. I would suggest that providing a septic tank and loo might be a whole lot less damaging and a whole lot more ecologically sound than hundreds of holidaymakers urinating on the bare ground. Plenty of other similar islands have them. I used their own company literature in our discussion and they accepted no responsibility whatsoever for the discrepancies between their literature and the actual trip, displaying an arrogance and complete disregard for the paying guests. The owners of this cruise need to seriously up their game.

To conclude, I would say, buyer beware. At $200 Fijian this is poor value for money. I would also say try the Whales Tale trip instead. For the same price the trip is far closer to the experience promised by the Oo La La brochure.

Christchurch, New Zealand
“Deceptive & dangerous”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

I have lived in the islands, done many cruises, and with friends make a point of visiting Fiji once a year. During my time here we always did the Whales Tale cruise which I still believe is the best day cruise you can do for the money.

If you are taking this Oolala trip , you need to know five things that your glossy brochure does not tell people about or in my opinion after having experienced many cruises around Fiji, are misleading.

One, there are no toilets on the island so if you enjoy beer or water you are told to go behind the hut. Boys are expected to pee anywhere out of site. If you are a female you are told to go back to the boat which can be a 15 minute round trip.

Two, the boat is noisy at the stern due to the layout and design, and due to the extraction vents from the septic tank situated 6 feet high facing rearward, the septic smell is present at times.

Three, they load passengers on and off the island on incredibly slippery rocks and I have the gash to prove it. Past reviews clearly state people falling and suffering nasty injuries during the disembark and embarkation process. At high tide this will not be an issue, but at low tide the long boat has only one approach to the island, forcing you to walk on Algea covered rocks.

Four, the brochure pictures are very misleading. The island represented on the brochure is not where we went. Savala Island has few trees, hardly a place for nesting birds as described in the brochure.

Five, the barbecue lunch is absolutely no more than a basic backyard kiwi/aussie BBQ. This is not a sumptuous lunch. Four trays, lettuce/tomatoe, potatoe salad, sausages, and chicken, bread on the side.

People, I am not an unreasonable person, write very few reviews, have completed many cruises around the Fiji Islands including Blue Lagoon, day trips such as Robinson Crusoe, Whales Tale, and other day cruises.

The staff were fantastic here, the issue is with safety and hygiene. My point and issue I have here is that the brochure is clearly misleading, there is a safety concern with respect to the approach to the island, which after earlier comments should have been addressed, recommend a basic board walk above the rocks?.... And a hygiene concern with no toilets on the island.

We will not be doing this cruise again, certainly not worth $Fj199.00, instead we will do a cruise that is the gem of all day trip cruises here in Fiji, the Whales Tale, for the 9th time, yes we will do it again.

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Nice little getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We loved our trip couple of years back and did it again this year. And it was still as enjoyable as before. I even saw a sea turtle on the way there which was a bonus.
This is a rustic trip so if you are a salon type, choose a different one.
Paul and the crew are super welcoming and friendly. The Savala island is a very small island, the size of a house with a large section. Snorkelling is excellent just off the beach! Can't count all the different types of reef fish I saw. I must say I enjoyed off the beach snorkelling more than the guided one because of the strong current.
The lunch is more than what you can expect from a tour of this kind, they even made me a birthday cake which was very delicious! And unlimited beer, wine and soft drinks top it just nicely. They force you to it!
Not to mention the live guitar and singing throughout, limited repertoire and all but entertaining nevertheless.

Suva, Fiji
3 attraction reviews
“Perfect getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

what an amazing experience, lovely people, lovely food and an absolutely beautiful island. there is shark feeding just from the shoreline, great snorkeling and beautiful clear water.

Visited September 2013
Narrawallee Australia
“Enjoyable day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

The crew on OO La La make this 6 hour cruise most enjoyable.They take the time to sit and chat to all on board. We had a great day snorkelling,drinking and eating while the music and singing from the crew had everybody in a very relaxed mood. I was a little concerned that it may have been a little too much for my 83 year old father,but he was treated like royalty by all on board.He assured us that he had a great time. I can thoroughly recommend a day cruising on Oo La La