“Go for the seafood” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
New city, ny
“Go for the seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had gone out fishing earlier in the morning on a private charter in Fajardo and caught a few fish. Our Captain recommended Bohio because the owner/cook is actually a fisherman himself so all of his seafood is fresh.

So we though why not, we'll give it a shot.

It took us nearly half an hour to find it!

When you're coming from El Conquistador, you miss the sign because it is facing the opposite direction. The address on google maps/gps are also incorrect. We called and the daughter of the restaurant gave us confusing directions. But we were determined to find it! We asked some older locals and they finally pointed us in the right direction! (I know, it's not a large area, but we managed to miss the place 3 times).

Finally we arrived.

It is outdoor seating only. Looks to be family run. They have fan going so the heat isn't too bad, then again, we were there for christmas/new years.

There were dogs like the other reviewer said, but they were having a siesta under a truck.

The fish we caught--our captain had fileted them--we had them with butter and garlic seasoning. Which the cook adds veggies too. Our snapper we had deep fried whole. And we ordered the lobster, which is supposed to be super fresh, with garlic butter.

The lobster comes out in chunks--not in shell like we're accustomed to in the states.
But everything was delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal. We also had the sweet plantains and coconut bread with our meal.

It is a very laid back place. So don't expect too much. But we went for the food and the food was delicious. Quick too!

Our meal came out to be $80, 1 beer and 1 fruit punch, the lobster was pricey, but hey, how often are you in puerto rico?

Check it out if you have any fresh fish!

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

70% Recommend
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“nice surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Luckily i did not read this reviews before. We went to get fresh lobster and so we did. We had 2 of them grilled perfectly and enjoyed them thoroughly. The arepas were great, so was the conch in vinaigrette, although the portion was a bit small. My daughter and I had red snapper with mofongo, also very good... The service was very friendly and helpful, mariely does a great job.. When you go to a seafood restaurant, order seafood and fish, kind of logic. The two dogs, Lucia and Bethoven who live there, never came to my table, it is an open terrace, they were around.I would definitely come back!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Dont go!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

I dont like giving bad reviews but since I depend on reviews before choosing a place to eat, it's only fair if I let others know too about my experiences. This place wasn't the worst I've been to but it certainly wasn't worth the money spent. It's true, they have dogs roaming around begging. My daughter was so sweet and fed one plenty of steak. The flies were extremely annoying and gross. The salad was a joke. The fish was too salty and the worst was how much we paid for it all!! My mistake was NOT reading th reviews for this place before going. I have since learned my lesson.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Charleston, South Carolina
“Avoid”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

There were four of us who ate here before the BioBay tour. We ordered two cheeseburgers which they advertise as homemade, fish tacos, and the garlic shrimp. The burgers were absolutely disgusting. They were hard and hockey pucks and dry. This was the worst cheeseburger I have ever had. The fries were overcooked. The garlic shrimp were ok. The fish tacos are fried like a taquito and were mostly tortilla shell and not meat. I would never go here again or recommend it. The walk to the bathrooms was absolutely disgusting and when I saw the kitchen I was sorry I ordered. Since we were still hungry we ended up getting some chicken kabobs from one of the vendors by the biobay tour and they were great. Avoid this place.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
“Great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Our experience was different than the other reviews. We ate here at the recommendation of the captain of the BioIsland motorboat tour. I have to say I was thinking it was a big mistake as we walked from the marina to the restaurant. The area is a bit run down with lots of stray dogs. Seating is outside only and it's pretty basic. We selected the arepas for appetizers as it is their specialty and they were very good. My husband and I ordered the red snapper at the urging of the waitress and it was delicious. It was actually delivered to the kitchen on ice in a bucket! We were told the owner is a fisherman, so would like to believe that it was fresh. If you are in a rush, don't eat here as everything was cooked to order and thankfully we had the time while waiting for our Biobay tour.

• Visited June 2012