“get ready to camp!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of El Hotelito at the Rainforest Experience Farm

Save Saved
You added El Hotelito at the Rainforest Experience Farm to your Saves list
El Hotelito at the Rainforest Experience Farm
3.5 of 5 Lodge   |   Flower Farm Rout 984 km. 3.1 Mundo Tropical, Bo. Naranjo, Fajardo 00738, Puerto Rico   |
“get ready to camp!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed there with my husband for a relaxing 2 nights 3 days. It is a beautiful place with a great view, but we had some issues while we stayed there. The owner is running the whole place by himself (and he will use it as an excuse for everything) so if you need something be aware that he will not get to it right away. The hot water didn't work and it took him 2 days to fix it. Dinner will probably not be served at 7pm like it's supposed to, on our second night we ended up eating at 10pm I recommend you take some snacks because it does't offer any other food services but breakfast and dinner and going down the hill on your car its an adventure! For us, it was like an expensive camping experience. You wont have plugs in your room, you have to leave your cel phones charging at the lobby and ladies, theres no dryers or a place to hook yours up. If you just want to relax and get away it is the perfect place. There is nothing to do in the hotel but to play dominoes.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
jrbenitez, Owner at El Hotelito at the Rainforest Experience Farm, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
It is hard for me to respond to this review as they describe its beauty , its great views and exactly the reason we expect guests come to stay with us, "if you want to relax and get away it is the perfect place." , but they seemed not to understand the concept. I sold many three days two nights stays including two dinners discount packages and got some guest that did not bother to read our site or find out about ecotourism.

1- I do not run the place by myself, there is a maid, a gardener, a maintenance person, and according to the number of guests staying there is an assistant helping in the kitchen and bar. For six guests i do it alone over that the assistant comes to work. We try to give the best service to all our guests but it is possible we could have made her wait 30 seconds or a minute for a soft drink. We close the kitchen at 10:00am and open again at 5:00 pm, during this period we do not have bar or kitchen service, and definitely no lunch. There are all kind of restaurants , including all the american fast food , in town for guest to discover and enjoy for lunch, this is part of the ecotourism concept.

2- The last three quarter of a mile of the municipal road leading to El Hotelito. ( which take one minute to go through it ) is in broken ashfalt and crushed rock, right through the forest. No cars has ever had problems coming up through it, plus its really beautifull and scenic.

3-My torture the in line gas water heater strkes again. Yes , the one giving service to the second floor rooms decided not to work and i could not find a replacement in town so i had to go to San Juan to buy a new one. They were without hot water one night.

4-Dinners for these discount packages is served at 6:30 pm on fridays and on saturdays we have pizza night , which are made in the wood burning oven. That saturday night I had an accident lighting the wood burning oven and my face , ear , neck and right arm were burned. Some parts fist degree others second degree and it took me a while to get cured and yes I was late in baking the pizzas. But they ate the best pizza ever.

5-Our energy is all solar and everythig in El Hotelito is 12 volts but the wifi and a station for charging computers and cellulars in the library. Guests understand and charge anything they need during daytime. 110volts hairdryers are the most energy consuming piece of equipment ever created by humans, sorry ladies they are not welcomed,,,we are triying a 12 volt one to see if it does not drain our batteries.

6-All our rooms are 20 feet by 20 feet 10 feet high ceilings, queen size bed, memory foam matress, 600 thread count sheets , all have a private deck and bathroom all windows and doors were custom made by hand of hardwoods, they have original artwork, our public areas are beautifully decorated with very high end furniture, antiques and artwork. So I feel really sorry these couple could not appreciate it and compared it to an expensive camping experience.

7-Yes there is a lot to do at El Hotelito : Relax, Read a Good Book, Hike the five miles of trails, Bird Watch, Learn about tropical flowers, Swim in the pool, Sun Tan, Meditate, Go to any of the attractions in the east coast of Puerto Rico, Play Dominoes or any other table game,,,,,,,and most important. Be Happy and Enjoy Life, thats basically what we help guests do......

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We had one wonderful night at El Hotelito before visiting El Yunque national forest in Puerto Rico. Our flight arrived around 2pm from the Atlanta and after renting a car we made the drive there following their directions through Fajardo. The owner was ready to guide our drive to the place but we made it from his directions without extra help.

The last few miles or so are through residential neighborhoods with a dirt road the last few hundred yards. An SUV can be helpful with the last stretch.

The place is really fantastic! It’s like a Hemingway home nestled into the rainforest with tremendous character and warmth that’s expressive of the owner, Rafael, who hosts everyone into the place. The main floor has 2 huge rocking chairs set out front, and the passage into the main area is beautifully arranged with art, sculptures, tables, sofas, and a bar where meals are served. We walked around and saw beautiful heliconia flowers – similar to birds of paradise – along walking paths too.

The back area is fully open to an incredible view of the city and the ocean off in the distance, and even islands like Culebra and St Thomas on the horizon. The swimming pool is also off to the right side, though we didn’t have a chance to swim in it unfortunately.

Rafael spent as much time as we wanted to fill us in on the history of the area and help us with directions. The cool thing about the place for me was also that he runs all of the power from solar panels and batteries and uses LED lighting and other green technology to make it work sustainably! (He also speaks English as fluently as Spanish, so no worries with our visit).

The room had an amazing view of the rain forest and a trail that’s walkable. And the ocean view off to one side and a small balcony as well. Our bathroom had a cool shower with natural sunlight from above. Dinner was a great set of local foods, arroz con pollo, beans, amarillo (ripe plantains), avocado, and some wine. Breakfast was included, my favorite- eggs and bacon and toast.

We would definitely recommend El Hotelito; it’s a small gem that’s off the beaten path but worth going out of the way to stay in.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ponce, Puerto Rico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

It wasn't managed by the owner who is arrogant and rude. Unfortunately he seems to think that the spectacular views and elegant decor overshadow the fact that his hospitality is terrible. One would think that anyone in the hotel business or HOSPITALITY industry would know that guests not only pay for the physical space that the stay but for the service and how they get treated. In additon, ironically this guy claims to have the only Eco-friendly lodging on the Island (not true, there are others) yet he chains smokes 24-7 in the common areas. So, while you're trying to get a "breath of fresh air" what you really end up inhailing is a cloud of second hand smoke. I have him to thank for the congestion and headache I came home with.

I would like to say that I will return, but I wont at least not as long as this guy is managing the place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
jrbenitez, Owner at El Hotelito at the Rainforest Experience Farm, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for mentioning the " spectacular views and elegant decor " of El Hotelito. In no way i am arrogant or rude to our guests, but i expect guests to behave like normal educated human beings and if your behavior affects the peace, tranquility and safety of other guests , I have to intervene. Because you bought a prepaid discount package does not mean its a free for all . There are rules , like no portable stoves in the rooms, which this guest insisted on using, there are no services , food or bar, from 10:00am to 5:00 pm, but she insisted on requesting food and soft drinks constantly, so therefore our "hospitality is terrible ". The other four couples staying this weekend were very happy and enjoyed El Hotelito .
Yes i use to be a heavy smoker, but never in public areas, it is against the law in Puert Rico, and there are four no smoking allowed signs in the public areas. My room and the chaise lounges by the pool were my smoking stations.
Of course there are other EcoFriendly lodges in Puerto Rico, but El Hotelito is also completely disconected from the grid ( energy and water ) and conserving in its natural state 25 acres of rainforest,,and in this respect we are the only one.
San Juan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Beautiful view and place. The hotel is actually a big house or mansion with great look all around. However, there was no warm water to take a decent shower, problems with light sockets. We couldn't charge our phones or anything. No wireless network. Very low pressure with water in every room. I woke up late at night (I think it was a Friday) and went to take a shower, there was no water until 8am on the next day. Also, the owner's hospitality was horrible in many aspects. He had very unpleasant manner with us and another couple. If you like an owner that disrespects you to a personal level and tries to get away with it with: "we're only joking, right?", then this is your guy. It is really sad, because it is really a beautiful place (I can't lie in spite of everything that we went through), but I also paid for great hospitality, and I can honestly say it was miserable. And it was strange, because my wife and I were nothing but nice to him and warm, nevertheless he found a way to insult us again and again.
I'll come back, sure... but not with this manager/owner in charge.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
jrbenitez, Owner at El Hotelito at the Rainforest Experience Farm, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
This couple bought a discount package of three days two nights at El Hotelito and decided they could do whatever they wanted , disregarding the rules of normal behavior and the rights of other guests. No , I am not rude and do treat guests very respectfully and try to be as polite as possible, but i do run a very professional and serious place . What can i say about a couple that departs very early in the morning without paying their dinner and steal two towels ? So I understand this review is in retaliation to my effort in collecting what they owed. It is very strange they mention all kind of problems in this review but never complained or made me aware of them while being here. The four other couples staying that weekend had a wonderfull time and never complained on any problems.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Can't say enough good things about El Hotelito! If you are looking to relax, unwind, and fall asleep to the song of the coqui than this quaint place is waiting for you. Rainforest views are breathtaking and the owners hospitality is unmatched by any other in the area. My husband and I enjoyed our stay and look forward to coming back again!

Room Tip: You will have a spectacular view from any where at El Hotelito