I am rating this Ferry very good simply because we bought our tickets a two days before we needed to use them. We rented a car as soon as we arrived. TIP: TAKE an updated GPS system with you or rent a car with it. Google map navigation is not available in PR!! So we could easily drive to Fajardo from San Juan. It took about 45-50 minutes. Take the highway worth paying the tolls. Drivers beware: I think PR has the worst drivers in the world. Yes, worse than NY. At least with NY drivers you expect them to cut you off. With PR drives, some are either scared of driving or are speed demons. I drive fast myself, so I didn’t mind the fast drivers. The slow drivers are S L O W. really slow. They drive in the passing lane ALL THE TIME.
Back to the Ferry….. so as soon as we arrived on Weds. We checked into our hotel and headed out to the Ferry station to get our tickets for Friday to Vieques and to Culebra for Monday. Tickets go on sale about an hour before departure. There are two locations (all within the same locality) for tickets. Same day and for the future (they call it RESERVATION tickets). We bought our tickets just in the nick of time before they closed. They only open about 1 hour before each boat departure…. So follow the schedule. (see pictures)
When we returned to leave to Vieques, I forgot my memory card…… I was ticked off… but on the way.. in Fajardo there is an Office max!!! Saved me! Here are the best driving directions that avoid all the traffic!!
GPS Corrdinates: N18*20.006, W65-37.492
1. Take Route #26 to Route #66 East (“este”) (main highway)
2. Take Route #66 East to Route #3 East towards Fajardo
3. Stay straight until you see a shopping center on the left (Eastern Plaza – McD’s on the corner)
4. Stay straight on Route #3, you will see a Kmart on your left. Go one more mile and make a left at the next traffic light on to road #194.
5. Stay straight until you get to a light and make a RIGHT onto Road #195
6. Take this straight into the Ferry. Parking will be in the right side near the ferry.
7. Note that the GPS will give other directions after directions#3. I recommend using these directions as you will skip most of the traffic.
Parking is $5 per day with tax. Cash only. You pay when you exit. Make sure you take your ticket with you and have sufficient cash and CHANGE! We paid $5.35 for a full day. On your way back to Fajardo… sit in the lower deck. And as soon as your dock… make a beeline to the parking lot. With your ticket and cash & change. We had no problems with lines ect. There is an ATM at the parking pay station… but avoid the hassle and get cash before hand. Use the bathroom on the ferry…. They are clean… so you don’t have to wait around.
The Ferry’s are clean. Well maintained. If you don’t have time to get your tickets a day before, get there SUPER early. I’m talking about 2 to 2.5 hours ahead of the departure time. No joke. If you do get your tickets days before, get there about an hour early. The lines fill up QUICKLY.
If you only have time to do one island…. Do CULEBRA. Reminded me of Hawaii. Absolutely jaw dropping views of the beach. And the ferry to Culebra is much nicer too.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.