“Must have a sense of humor!” 3 of 5 stars

Type: Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Outdoors
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the three bioluminescent bays in PR - others are in Vieques and in SW of Island.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
“Must have a sense of humor!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

This was my first kayaking experience. We took the later trip in the pitch darkness, with my 9year old daughter sitting in the middle of the 3 person kayak. Im telling you now it was ridiculous! This was in 2007, right before they banned swimming in the lagoon. I was beaten and scratched by the mangroves there and back. When we reached open water we were allowed to jump in for a few minutes (that was the best part) only to see just a few glowing trails as it had rained all that day. The whole ordeal was comical! If I actually paid ffor it myself and wasnt able to swim, I can imagine being upset. At least now I can say ive been there! I advise taking the risk of bruises , scrapes, and embarrassments ONLY if you can laugh at life! If so, ENJOY!

• Polish first
Virginia Beach, Virginia
12 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Definitely an experience. If you are in the area, I would say definitely try it out. There is a decent amount of kayaking to get to the final destination. So if you don't enjoy kayaking it might not be your thing. (Although I will say there were several people in our group who had never kayaked before and were struggling and the guides towed them to and from the destination when they saw they were having a hard time of it.) We love kayaking, so kayaking in the dark through a tunnel in the mangroves was awesome. I saw that some other people said they didn't see much glow, but when we went the water definitely glowed! It was brilliant and amazing. If you wear dark clothes you can even splash the water on you and see it glow before going dim. We loved it, and would absolutely recommend it to anyone in the area! The guides were friendly and knowledgeable and they take lots of pics which they post to their facebook account so you can have some memories of your experience without taking your own photos. I saw another review and just want to add...It IS dark when you go, the tunnel IS narrow, and you ARE supposed to go in a single file line; however, of course that doesn't happen when 20 kayaks of varying skill levels are trying to paddle together. I don't think it took away from the experience at all. We had a great time, and would recommend it to anyone!

Visited October 2012
Sterling, VA
“A Must do while in Puerto Rico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We were on an anniversary trip and wanted to do something together to make us bond and work together. This was IT!

The Bioluminescent Bay was a MUST do in PR. You use a kayak, in the dark of night, out to the bay. It was about 30 mins kayaking each way. We crashed into trees a few times and got a bit frustrated but the bay was worth it. It is beautiful, like seeing God. Forget taking pictures. It is damp, wet, so the risk of ruining your camera is high. Also, unless you have a very high end camera, you pics will be all black. Just enjoy the time and buy a postcard. you are no longer allowed to swim in the bay, but gliding the oar and my hands was plenty. Read up on the history of it -it will enrich your experience. I loved every minute of it!!!!

Visited October 2012
Swartz Creek, Michigan
“Educational”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Kayaking across bay at night is an experience in itself. We had great guides. Not for the less physically fit.

Visited January 2013
washington D.C.
“lots of kayaking for little payoff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We expected more light in the bay- we had been to lighthouse in El Faro reserve in bioluminescent Bay and this was not much more interesting. The kayaking there is through relatively narrow passage with trees on both sides and kayakers coming the other way. You are supposed to follow your group but its hard to see them with lights going in all directions. Maybe Vieques mosquito bay is better. It could be fun if you like kayaking in traffic .

Visited February 2013