“"Baby Bay" bioluminescent bay tour” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Outdoors
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the three bioluminescent bays in PR - others are in Vieques and in SW of Island.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
St. Petersburg, Florida
“"Baby Bay" bioluminescent bay tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We've heard about the kayak tours and wanted to squeeze it into our four day trip to Puerto Rico. I had the concierge find a company for me last minute and they called "Baby Bay" and I booked the 9:00pm tour for two of us for $45 each. We had a rental car, so we drove ourselves there. I heard from other guests that the later tour was better because it would be darker, and more of an experience with the water. I had no idea what to expect. When I called to book, they told us we would be going on an electric boat instead of a kayak. At first I was a little disappointed, because I thought the adventure would be cool, but after hiking the rainforest earlier in the day, and seeing the faces on the kayakers on the other tours, I was so relieved. The kayak tours seemed to be a lot of work, in the pitch black darkness, very scary. Having the boat, we were able to relax, have a more personal experience with the guide, and more freedom in the bay. We were with another family of four and I think having the electric boat was a WAY better experience. We did not bring our kids this trip, 8 years old and 5 years old. They would have loved this tour, but there's no way they would have done the kayak. Way too dark and scary, but the boat would have been perfect for them. Our tour guide Michael was awesome, young, energetic, and had lots of knowledge about everything. And Captain Suarez was great, as he gave us lots of time on the water, and maneuvered to the right spots where the water was the brightest. Living in Florida, I was used to seeing mangroves and being on the water, but this was something I could not imagine! I would not miss seeing this bay.
Would totally recommend this attraction and definately with BABY BAY on the electric boat!

• Polish first
Toledo, Ohio
13 attraction reviews
“Great experience but not for the faint of heart”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

The BioBay is amazing in many ways. The water turns neon green when you put your paddle in it and it looks like those glow in the dark necklaces only it's liquid. The stars are like a planetarium., spectacular. The mangrove lagoons are natural tunnels that guide you into the bay. You can see iguanas hanging in the trees. It can be very peaceful.

The reason for the 4 stars is that the BioBay is severely overcrowded by too many kayaking companies with too many kayaks. When you go thru the lagoons, kayaks are like bumper cars. There are traffic jams like you are driving in San Juan. Inexperienced kayakers are going sideways and hitting you from all sides. I am not exaggerating. For the love of God, if you have never kayaked, go out for a trial run before you do the bay!

The area is kind of hard to find, it would be nice if they had more signs but that is Puerto Rico, too. The bathrooms at the park are disgusting. The kayak companies and the city park need to team together and provide a clean, nice environment for everyone. The park is like a tent city that pops up every night with little food and knick knack vendors. It is kind of surreal.

It is fascinating overall if you know what to expect. There are not many places in the world that you can have this kind of experience!

Midlothian, Virginia
9 attraction reviews
“Magical Glowing Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Great adventure! Not only fun but a great learning opportunity. We went to the late night kayak trip so it was pitch dark through the mangrove which was a bit unnerving at first. The mangrove waterway is narrow as our group heads in passing others heading out. Glow sticks are attached to each end of the boats so you don't run into anyone. Guides are friendly and knowledgeable. The sparkling in the water is an awesome wonder of nature and once in the bay area the stars gazing was amazing as well!

Visited March 2012
College Park, Maryland, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Go there!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is a place you must go if you are in Puerto Rico! This was one of the best things of my trip and when I go back to San Juan I will go to the Bioluminescent Bay again!

Maryland
“FUN!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

The kayaking is crazy fun! The sparkles in the water are amazing! I wish they still let you jump in, but it's still so gorgeous to see the ecosystem at it's finest!

Visited July 2012