“Mediocre food although typical Puerto Rican flavor” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Good for: Bar scene
Portland, Oregon
“Mediocre food although typical Puerto Rican flavor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I love spicy food, so my review is very biased by this. I found the food at El Racar to be bland. This might be because of the chefs but it also might just be the culture. My entire time in Puerto Rico I never remember eating largely flavorful Puerto Rican food.

All the food we ate was typical Puerto Rican, so I will say it is consistent with all of the other restaurants in the area. Drinks were right from bottles you would buy in a grocery store with a bit of an inflated price. This includes sodas and juices. Portions were smaller too.

Visited November 2012

Bergen County, NJ
“Eating locally in Fajardo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Great friendly atmosphere--Delicious Mafungo! Inexpensive and COLD beers! Music on Thursday night! Not at all fancy but comfy and friendly.

Visited October 2012
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Good, authentic, cheap”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We got tired of the expensive and mediocre food at El Con so I asked some of the resort's employees where to grab an authentic bite to eat. I went to this place four times during our stay to get the arepas de coco and the pies willed with chicken, fish and beef. Like most hole in the wall joints, this place was filled with locals and tasty.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Long wait for the food, but REALLY good authentic food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We were STARVING by the time we got here, Capt. Osva from the Fishing Tour in Fajardo recommended the place (even saw him eating where when we got there). We ordered mofongo (I got chicken, sooo good). The shrimp was good too. It just took a LOOOONG time to get the food, so don't go starving and don't go if you're in a rush. All in all it was a good local place to eat, and a short walk from the El Con. We spent $50 for five of us to eat there. Not bad Especially if you're staying at El Con where maybe 2 people eating would be over $60 bucks.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Diego
“Cool, local seafood shack w/ $1-2 Medallas just a short walk from El Con”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Just a casual place w/ plastic chairs, loud local music playing (sometimes; live music on Sundays), and seafood at great prices. I was staying at El Con, went on a walk to look for some geocaches for my daughters, and happened upon this place. It turned out to be happy hour – just $1 for cans of Medalla or Medalla Light (regularly $1.60 or $2 for a bottle); wow – after prices at El Con, that was quite the bargain. I also tried the pastelillos w/ shrimp (just $2.25) – kind of like an empanada or turnover, w/ shrimp in a tasty tomato-type sauce inside – very good.

My husband and I came back the next day for lunch and tried the local fish pastelillo (very good - $1.70), an arepa w/ shrimp, octopus and conch for $6 (kind of a sandwich between cornbread patties; pretty good, not too much flavor, maybe pork would have been better), and mofongos rellenos w/ combinacion of seafood (fish, shrimp, octopus, conch - $19) – almost everyone at the table of local folks behind us got this, too, and we liked it, but I think we were spoiled by the gourmet-like mofongo we had the night before at La Estacion – it was really light, almost like a cornbread pudding, and this one (which probably was more authentic and traditional) was quite a bit denser, and not quite as much flavor. Afterward, we kind of wished we’d tried the whole grilled fish of the day, but it was all still very good. The side of beans and rice (just $3) was incredible.

TIPS – the menu on the board and specials are entirely in Spanish, but they can give you a menu in English and Spanish if you ask. They also have wonderful bottles of homemade salsas if you ask.

NOTE: To get there from the El Con, go down to the Marina, Go left and follow the path out the security exit, and follow the road along the water until you get to the park, it’s on the left side of the street, just past the park. Less than 15 minute walk.

Visited May 2012