“Great hotel and value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Fajardo
Greenfield, Wisconsin
“Great hotel and value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I had to get a last-minute hotel room Easter weekend because of conflict with my fellow travelers. I was pretty upset and Marisol at the front desk was super sympathetic and understanding. At first, she said they didn't have an extra room, but then someone gave her some info about a room being cleaned that would be available. She set me up with the room right away and gave me a 20% discount for my 3-night stay for a suite.

The service at the front desk was always good. And someone was always available, 24/7.

The hotel seemed to have a ton of amenities: several huge, beautiful pools linked together, a business room (for internet access and work stuff), some coin-operated washers and dryers which came in really handy after my trips to the bio bay and the rainforest, a mini-golf course (this cost extra, but a nice feature to have available), a fitness center, a store or two for traveling necessities and souvenirs, I think maybe a hot tub, too. I actually didn't need anything besides the washer and dryer, though, since I was super busy exploring the area everyday.

There was also a good deal of parking. Felt totally secure parking my rental car here.

The room: large suite, plenty of A/C, tile floors throughout (didn't realize how good this was until I stayed in a crappy hotel in San Juan with damp carpeting :/ ), a decent-sized fridge/freezer, microwave, dishes, kitchen sink and counters, table with chairs. The bathroom was beautiful, clean, and with plenty of toiletries and towels. Great water pressure, too! Toilet worked like a champ (sometimes a problem in PR, I found). Big closet, in-room safe, armoire with a tv inside, king-size bed (in my suite at least).

This place was fantastic - loved the service, the cost, the cleanliness, and the room.

Fajardo Inn is somewhat further away from attractions, but with a rental car or a well-planned excursion through tour groups (check with the front desk/concierge), you're within driving distance from El Yunque (20 mins unless you get lost like I did), Las Croabas (bio bay and beach - 15 mins), Luquillo kiosks (lots of great food stands and restaurants along a beautiful beach - 15 mins), and the ferry for Culebra and Vieques. And close to Ceiba's airport to catch a charter flight to those islands (totally worth the 88 bucks roundtrip to avoid the hassle of the ferry).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
FIPR, General Manager at The Fajardo Inn, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Hello, we wanted to thank you for your recent review. And we want you to know that we take pride in what we do and work very hard to keep up our property. We hope to be able to have you again with us in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
World
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Fajardo is not a pretty place, but chances are you are there to visit Culebra or Vieques. The Fajardo Inn is conveniently located about a 5mins drive or 15mins walk from the ferry to these islands. Other than that, it is a bit off, so there are few e.g. restaurant or basic shopping options nearby (at least I disn't see any)

The hotel itself is pretty big. I agree with previous posters that it seems strangely deserted even though it really wasn't when I was there - I saw at least 30 cars parked outside, but few people nevertheless. That being said, it is well-maintained, rooms are spacious even though furniture is a bit dated (who cares, though). Staff was friendly and helpful, check-in efficient. WiFi worked so-so, but that seems the case almost everywhere in PR.

The hotel has two pools and two restaurants, I was in the Mexican one, which frankly I found only OK even though it gets consistently great reviews. I think there's also a gym. There's plenty of parking and it's free.

I would stay here again and found it a good place for a night or two after visiting El Yunque and before Culebra/Vieques.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. If you come back to Fajardo, we hope to be able to have you again as our guest.
Bronx, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We recently stayed at the Fajardo Inn for two nights. We chose the Inn because we were taking the ferry to Vieques which was 5 minutes away from the Inn for the next part of our trip. We also inquired if we could leave our rental car at the Inn for the two days we would be visiting Vieques and the staff were very accommodating to allow us to park the car there, and when we requested a refrigerator for our room they quickly provided one.

Our room was comfortable for our needs as we do not spend a lot of time in the room. We had a corner room at the far end of the main building which was clean and quiet. There is not a lot to do in the immediate area of the Inn, but if you have a car, there are many restaurants and activities to do in the Fajardo area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello, thank you for letting us now about your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that our staff was able to help you. And mostly that you enjoy the Fajardo area. We hope to see you in a near future.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. Everyone is super nice, the food is incredible and the rooms are clean. It is really close from the rainforest, which we LOVED. It is an hour away from San Juan, so if you want to visit there make sure you rent a car. From the hotel, going towards the rainforest, before you make a left to enter the rainforest, take a right where you will see a breakfast cafe. They have the best breakfast in town. I loved Puerto Rico, everyone is so friendly. Don't be afraid to ask around if you get lost.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi, we are very happy to know that you had so much of a good time with us. It was a real pleasure having you as our guest. We really appreciate you taking time to let us know about your stay.
Orlando, Florida, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

On a recent visit three of us spent 3 nights at the Fajardo Inn. The location is situated on a hill and offers panoramic views of Fajardo Bay and the ocean as well as the town of Fajardo and the interior mountains of Puerto Rico. On site the Inn has several swimming pools, a mini golf course and a playground. The area is populated with beautiful fruit trees and flowers and shrubs of many colors, shapes and sizes. The room we had was large, with 2 queen sized beds, a large dresser, 2 night tables, a table and chairs and a decent sized bathroom. Unfortunately, there were some issues which plagued us. First, the beds were lumpy and uncomfortable, and there was only 1 pillow per person; the beds were also covered with heavy, floral and unattractive quits. But the biggest problem was in the bathroom; we noticed a puddle of water on the floor. When I tried to call the front desk, the phone was not working. I had to walk to reception to report both issues. The phone was replaced, and maintenance came and said they would repair the toilet temporarily unless we wanted to switch rooms. We opted to switch, but the "better" room was only better in price because it had a mini fridge and microwave which our other room did not. My wife was unhappy because the TV was old, the room was isolated from the rest of the Inn and the place was poorly decorated and depressing, so we returned to our previous room which had been fixed for the time being--a full repair was made while we were out the next day. Throughout our stay staff was very accommodating, pleasant and helpful. One point to be aware of is the difficulty of getting around if a person has difficulty walking--there are a lot of stairs around the complex but only 1 creaky, slow elevator. Additionally, our keys had to be reactivated at least three times during our stay--very inconvenient. Our stay was in the long run pleasant, and we would consider returning again in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The lower pool is beautiful. The upper pool, smaller and rectangular, is convenient.
We stayed here as a very mixed group. Engaged couple, her parents who had never been to PR before, and me, who has been here often staying with family in their homes. (My son, half Puerto Rican, had also been here often, but never in a hotel!)
There are few amenities save for the view. Not really any criollo food--mostly American food, with a few adaptations. No coffee, but there is a coffee maker in the room. You can buy a paper cup of coffee for $1 from a machine in the gym building, but it is not representative of the extraordinary coffee this island has.
As a person with MS, I walk slowly and with a cane. This Inn is built on hills, and if you have walking issues, this may present difficulties. What else presents a bit of a problem is the room floor tiles that can be slippery. For me, this is difficult, although clearly for no one else in our party.
But you can park all over the property. Blue Iguana is a nice bar; Star Fish has good menu and takes some stabs at quite good Puerto Rican cooking. Breakfast is totally American, and the oatmeal is smooth and PR style...sweet.
Plenty of English-speaking TV channels on outdated TV sets, but are you really there for TV? That said, the BBC America comes loud and clear!
It is true that Fajardo is not the most touristy part of Puerto Rico. But if you drive, you can go shopping at any of the places along Route 3; if you like sleepy fishing villages, go down to Las Croabas, and there are the ferries to Vieques and Culebra that launch from here and are not too far away. The luquillo kiosks (lots of street food) and the beach there, and of course, the magnificent rainforest, El Yunque, are within 20 minutes driving.
Come here to relax, not sightsee.

Room Tip: If you have trouble walking or carrying luggage, ask for rooms on the first floor or in the main bui...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

The major problem was how management handed the only issue we reported: the AC was not working for 3 of the 5 nights of our stay. After reporting it to the front desk (to no avail) we spoke to the manager in charge (Mrs Rivolt), who not only dismissed our complaint stating she had no record that we already reported the problem, but also assumed no liability for the lack of action. The AC was finally replaced the following day and with the outside temps in the 80s it was not a pleasurable experience.

The inn includes several buildings with a motel outline: room doors opening on a common balcony. The main bdg has a reception staffed 24hrs/day, a concierge desk with erratic hrs, although when around, the concierge staff was helpful (Sylvia). It is a 15 minute walk to the marina from which you can board the ferries to the islands of Vieques and Culebra, so the location is convenient. The neighborhood is sketchy, we did not feel safe walking after 5pm, but mornings are ok. The major pluses are the many amenities including two large pools, a mini golf ($2 fee/person), a large fitness room, a tennis court, basketball field and small playground. There are also 2 restaurants. Lonely Planet recommended the Mexican, which we found to have slow service and mediocre food. The room and the common spaces were spotlessly clean and the grounds are very nicely landscaped, though the one time we wanted to walk through the garden the guard told us to do it quickly so we would not be seen (by whom, we could not understand).

• Stayed March 2013
FIPR, General Manager at The Fajardo Inn, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience in our property during your recent stay. After reading your review I will like to point out a few things. When you call our Front Desk Department to inform about the a/c situation, I personally attended you. While on the phone you informed me that you have reported the a/c situation before, I proceeded to review our report log and there was no indication of any complaints from your room, neither with the housekeeping or maintenance department. At that moment you started to raise your voice, which I found unnecessary, as I was not trying to not provide a service to you; and I remember letting you know. Irregardless of that I notify you that I will send someone immediately to verify the a/c, you decline the service at that moment and informed me you were going to call back. You called 30 minutes after to request the service, which was handle immediately by the maintenance department and they brought with them a new a/c to avoid keeping you waiting while we check the a/c unit. And even with that done, you call back our Front Desk department being unhappy stating that if I have sent a new a/c is that I must have known that the a/c was broken. Stating that there was a lack of action or not taking responsibility, was not what I did at the time either, I apologized then for that inconvenience and I certainly will apologize again for having the issue with the a/c, but I believe that once we were aware of the situation was handle in a timely manner.

As a hotel manager our main goal is to provide a service to our customer and assist them with their needs. But sometimes irregardless what we do, or how we do it, or how hard we work to do it, our service can't please the guest as it was your case. I am deeply sorry you had so much of a bad experience with us, I could only assure that we did try very hard to serve you.

Been to The Fajardo Inn? Share your experiences!