You added El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort to your Saves list
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1000 El Conquistador Avenue, Fajardo 00738, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$149 (USD)
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fajardo
“Read it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2005

Our vacations in P.R. were a complete "fiasco" their meaning of customer service is a bad joke. We went for a wedding traveling with an 18month old child, knowing that they put us in "las Casitas". People! If you have a child you need an elevator there was none so we have to go three floors carrying a stroller, baby bags and anything else you wanted. The concierge counter was useless. We pre-paid (as a package) for 6 nights and since the first day we ask for a room change to which they said there were no rooms available. I sent my suit for dry cleaning and wasn't ready until 20 minutes before the weeding which was 45 minutes from the hotel. The "beautiful" funicular broke and was out of service for three hours. Room service was pathetic 55 minutes to bring your food and they manage (in the Caribbean) to deliver it cold! To make thing more interesting he complaint because we did not tip him!! The night before checking out the room key-card didn't worked so we called the front desk from the hall phone it took them an hour and forty five minutes to bring a replacement which guess what... didn't work neither. By them we ask to speak with the front desk manager who at the end of the conversation offered to give us a different room near by the lobby elevator... so now they did had rooms available. While leaving the room we tried to calm down and thought that we just had bad luck; real bad luck. For our peace of mind we ran into a couple that spend 3 out of 5 days with out a working shower and in exchange management offer them 2 additional free nights!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (984)
  • Polish first
Canton, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2005

My husband, our then 8 yr old daughter, and I went for 5 nights to this resort a while back. It's about a 45 min. - 1 hour drive from the airport, but the sights and the cab driver's information about PR made it go by quickly. The resort itself is beautiful. The fact that it's on a cliff gives you the most magnificent scenery around! We stayed in the Las Brisas section with an oceanfront view. It was an amazing view! The resort itself is very tropical with a lot of foliage, very beautiful. The other great thing about the resort is Palimino Island. It's a great way to spend the day. We went horseback riding, snorkeling, and just enjoyed a great beach day. The spa was great as well. The staff at the resort and in PR were wonderful, very friendly, and very helpful. The food was okay and it was expensive, not quite worth it for the taste. Now, for the room. We stayed in the Las Brisas section. The oceanfront room was up high on the cliff, so it gave you the most AMAZING view. You can NEVER get tired of the view. The room was spacious enough. It had ample storage and a walk-in closet. However, on closer inspection, it needed to be really upgraded, especially the carpets and the lighting. Mostly, it didn't bother us because we enjoyed the rest of the resort and the view was so beautiful. However, the last day, we got the shock of our life. They give you a hamper in the walk-in closet. When I went to empty it to pack our clothes, I found a huge cockroach along with my clothes! That scared the life out of me, and I had to drag my showering husband to go hunt it down and kill it. When I told the staff, they really didn't do anything except to say that they were sorry! Since it was our last day, I didn't push the issue, but I doubt I would go back to this resort again. That was the HUGE downfall. They need to do a major overhaul on the rooms, and improve the food. Otherwise, the location of the resort and the scenery is great.

Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2005

Like the other reviews this is a tricky place to rate due to the fact that the setting of the hotel is so beautiful. Although pricey, we did not feel it was anymore so than other nega resorts. My husband and I were there for him to attend a conference so we had a reasonable room rate and it gave us a chance to visit the island. We hoped it might be a place we might like to return due to the proximity and easy flight from Tampa. We rented a car, visited San Juan and then, despite poor directions from Avis, eventually arrrived at the hotel. We were checked in promptly and told the room, although smaller than others, had a large balcony. We have traveled in Europe for 30 years and are used to looking at a room before checking in but were tired and wanted to get settled so we did just that. My initial concern was that the bath/shower was old and did not look very clean but then I decided it was just worn. We were assigned to Room 4109 in the building between La Casitas and the main building with a nice ocean and pool view. We ate, visited the casino and I returned to the room to shower and get to bed. First disappointment came when I unpacked & the small closet doors came off the runner but you could slide them although it was bothersome. Then, putting toiletries on the bath counter was a large clump of hair that the maid missed. Now I am getting concerned! But I wiped the counters and continued! Then, all ready for a relaxing shower, I discover the water control handle in the tub was totally broken so I could not shower! Now 11pm, I had to dress, call housekeeping and wait for repairmen. They arrived, oohed and awed and then left to get a piece to fix it. After the second trip I called the desk to advise them it looked grim and we wanted a room with running water in the shower to which the woman replied "We have no rooms as we are 90% full"! I responded that I expected to be moved into a room in the other 10% if the third attempt to fix the faucet failed! Indeed, at midnight they finally said it was not going to be fixed. It was apparent that my inital concern that the bath was not clean was correct. The maid might have wiped it down but it certainly was not scrubbed with water! Why this room was not taken out of inventory for rehab is beyond me. This separates the property, in our opinion, from deserving any more than 3 stars. No one should have to pay in the high hundreds or thousands to expect a clean, orderly, working room.
At 12:30 am we were finally moved into a much nicer room in the main hotel building and were satisfied with that room.
So, now, the prestigious Golden Door Spa, which I have enjoyed at the Venetian in Vegas. I had made appointments before leaving the US but it rained all one day so I decided to go spend the day, enjoying the facilities at a reasonable $25 fee and hoping for a massage apt. to open up. I went to the shower area and stall after stall was disgusting with hairs and stuff from the bottom of people's spa flip-flops. I settled on one that seemed the least dirty! I maneuvered the shower heads to spray the corners where there was a buildup of accumulated "grunge" and hair and felt I improved it a bit. I was there all day and a woman repeatedly mopped the area around the jacuzzi when her time could have been spent cleaning the stalls with a brush and cleanser. There was a lot of mildew, a problem I am familiar with having lived in Florida all my life. However, I also know that a simple spraying of Tilex or bleach on a regular basis eliminates that problemvery easily. It was apparent the stalls in the spa and our room had not been thoroughly cleaned in some time. I heard several people comment that the hot tub in the pool area was not clean either and they chose not to go in it. I did go in it but agree that more effort should be made to clean around the tile edges.
We enjoyed the restaurants and the foliage and felt the property had great potential. Regretfully, we would not choose to go back there. There are equally as beautiful properties in Florida with higher standards of cleanliness but n one that have the combo of the island beauty and culture, the casino, and the nearby rain forest. This places deserves to be first class.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2005

We spent 5 days at the El Conquistador in mid December - 2004. Having read the reviews on this site, I was in 2 minds as to what to expect. What a pleasant surprise!! I have travelled to many international resorts and hotels around the world. Being in the travel industry myself, I have high expectations of quality and service -and the staff and facilities at the resort certainly met those expectations. Being Wyndham by request members allowed us a room upgrade at check in with welcome drinks and snacks in the room. We were upgraded to the Marina rooms - perfectly located for the water taxi to Palomino Island. The rooms were clean, and well equipped. I would recommend the Marina rooms if the beach/island is your main priority. Staying in the main hotel requires a "schlep" on the funicular to get to the water taxi - which I found a lot more appealing when used to go for dinner at night. Regarding dinner - the policy of most of the restaurants in the hotel is men have to wear slacks. Strange for a beach resort, and we were not advised about this until we tried to go to one of the restaurants. I found the costs comparable to many resorts I have visited - not expensive as some reviews have said.
Overall a very pleasant experience, great beach activities, good facilities, good food, friendly staff and excellent location. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the EC on our honeymoon in August. We had a great time and would go back in a second. One thing that we loved was the meal plan that we ordered before we went left with our travel agent. I don't remember the exact price was it was definitely worth every penny. We never saw it advertised either so I guess you have to just ask for it. It was fabulous. Each morning included the buffet breakfast. It also included dinner too. Included with the dinner was 1 appetizer per person, one dinner and one dessert. We saved so much money this way. We were able to use it in every restaurant. Some items were extra on the menu with the meal plan, this only effected us one time. We were so relieved when we saw the prices. I would highly recommend this. We can't wait to go back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2005

We just came back from a week at EC. My wife, our 11month old daughter and I had a great time ! Although it is not cheap, you get what you pay for, and EC is one of the best. The private island is great, but the many pools are a good place to hang out as well.
The golf course looked very inviting, but unfortunately, I did not play.

The place is very kid friendly; the Kids Klub is for 4 and older.

If you stay more than a few days, take a trip to the El Junque rainforest and/or old San Juan. (by organized tour or your own rental car)

• Stayed January 2005
Montclair, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2005

Went to the hotel on business. Every single one of the thirteen attendees had complaints about their rooms: dirty sheets, dust-caked rattan chairs, moldy floors, bulb and socket fell out of sconce over bed when I tried to turn it on. The overpriced Italian restaurant had food about the equivalent of Applebee's. While the grounds are pretty and view spectacular, the overall care and feeding at this hotel are abysmal.