“beautiful place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

You added El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort to your Saves list
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1000 El Conquistador Avenue, Fajardo 00738, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$149 (USD)
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fajardo
san diego, United States
“beautiful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

the staff and hotel were wonderful, and the view was spectacular. I would definitely stay there again on my next visit and would recommend to others. Could imagine it being a great place to visit with a small group.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Matt L, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay. We truly do appreciate your feedback. Please come back to visit soon! We will be here to ensure your vacation is one to remember. And finally, yes, the resort is a perfect destination for small and large groups. Incentive trips are our specialty. Thank you!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (984)
  • Polish first
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Hotel is 55 minutes from San Juan. Gorgeous resort but has nothing else going for it. I wanted to move after first night but my husband had already unpacked and wasn't in mood to re-pack. Ladies, those men need to listen to us. Nothing to do at this resort other than sit in sun which my dermatologist forbids. Food is barely acceptable yet "forced" to eat at their restaurants because there is no where else to eat. . Hamburger buns stale; my Cobb salad came with white stems of lettuce (unedible); even "5-star" restaurants are nothing special. Cost for trip to San Juan - $100 each way. The hotel should have a van that takes guests to San Juan (just drop-off and pick-up) or to big mall or to rainforest, etc. but has no free transportation. You can rent car from Enterprise (in lobby) for $120/day. Casino is closed - apparently government shut it down because did not have correct permits. Spa is extraordinarily expensive - I usually have massage on vacation but did not want to pay $135 plus 20% tip plus 7% tax = $173 for one massage. Massages in San Juan and even at other 4 star hotels in San Juan are considerably cheaper. I was miserable for 7 days!

I would never go to this hotel again - Waldorf Astoria should be embarrassed to own it.

If, by chance, you're still stuck there, here are some things we learned LATE in our trip because hotel staff WON'T tell you: you can get concierge to rent you a Thrify car for $60/day. There are some wonderful local restaurants in walking distance: go down to marina; head left for about 15 minutes (have to go through marina gate); and there are numerous local restaurants. The fried whole red snapper was out-of-this-world and prices are so reasonable. We only were told about this by tour driver on next to last night we were there. Hotel staff won't tell you any of this because they want you to "prisoner" at their hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
I want to start by thanking you for taking the time to write down your thoughts from your recent stay at El Conquistador. Clearly, we fell well short of satisfying you in a number of areas during your stay. I want to extend a heart felt apology for your dissatisfaction. I can assure you that your comments have been reviewed by management at the the highest level, as we take these responses very seriously. We will continue to focus on improving in hopes that these same inconveniences do not occur again. If by chance you are inclined to visit again in the future, please reach out to me personally. I will be happy to assist and ensure that your stay would be very pleasant. Happy Holidays!

Matthew Leavitt
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

If you want to ruin your vacation, you could go there!!!!

First of all, our room was completely wet and had extremely bad smell.
Money were stolen from my valet while I was on the beach. Despite the fact I contacted security department and open the case, nothing was done on the hotel side.
The best part of it - my credit card was overcharged by hotel after I did express checkout and I still have difficulties with fraud department.
So, think one million times if you want to have the same "wonderful" time during your stay.

Room Tip: Never go there
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Matt L, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
I am extremely sorry for the horrible experience that you had during your last stay. We would like to discuss this further with you ASAP. Please reach out to Manny Melendez at mmelendez2@luxuryresorts.com. He will be happy to review your experience with you. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences and are hopeful to hear from you soon.
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

My siser and I visited this property again last week (our 3rd or 4th stay over a period of a few years as we just love the location of this property), and were once again awed. We were upgraded to an oceanfront room, although this time it was to a room on the 1st floor in the Las Brisas wing above the covered walkway along the shops. Still quiet, and very nice with a great balcony and views. Palomino Island was its usual incredible self, although the water was not at all calm so we didn't snorkel. I'm always impressed by the clean white sand beaches, ample (and comfortable) beach recliners, towel serice, etc. Part of the reason we enjoy this hotel and the property is because we use it for R&R....we leave the property typically only for dinner at local restaurants. We don't use it as a base to visit old San Juan, El Yungue, etc.
The one change that I noticed was that there is no longer a casino, and the game room that has replaced the casino is rather lame.
Everyone who works for the hotel seems to generally enjoy their job and interacting with customers.
If there is any complaint about the hotel it is the charge for self-parking, particularly as there are "issues" are others have enumerated related to the parking area itself and the distance from the hotel. Personally, I enjoyed the walk but did find it strange that so many tiers seemed to be empty the first night, and all tiers were packed the 2nd night due to weddings, meetings, etc.
I hope to return (soon!)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
We are so happy to hear about our repeat customers having similar experiences to the ones they enjoyed the first time they visited. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, we really appreciate the feedback and are hopeful that once again you'll be back to visit us again soon.
Boston, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

This is not an ultra-luxurious resort, but it's very nice and very accommodating to kids. It's in a beautiful setting, and the staff is extremely friendly. We were there during a week when crowds were light, because it was right before the holiday break in the U.S. The resort is so big that it might get obnoxiously crowded at times, but that was far from our experience. The pools and the island had more open lounge chairs than reserved ones, and we never had to wait for a table at dinner or a game in the lounge area. We would recommend this place to anyone with kids, or to golfers. Adventurous travelers, less so.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

We truly appreciate your review of the resort, and we could not agree more. Te resort is a perfect place for families with our Scout About Adventure, Coqui Water Park, and the Ultra Lounge as just a few of the options for families to enjoy. We are hopeful you will come back and see us again soon.
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Staff is fantastic. They say they have WiFi but it only works in the corner of one room in a three bedroom villa, and then inconsistently. The whole resort is beautiful, but it seems to not know what it wants to be. They took out the casino that was there in the past and now have a weird kid's game room with an adult bar in the back. All of the adult activities like the Latin dances on weekends appear to be gone and the place is dead in the evenings except for a bunch of kids playing arcade games. Since Fajardo doesn't offer much to do at night , it seems for an adult group the better choice would be a resort closer to San Juan. And, if they are looking to attract families with kids, then they need to offer more than the weak water park at a ridiculous price. They also have a problem with TV reception, important when you have a lot of rain and no activities at the resort. They gave me a one time $150 refund because of this, but this wasn't much given the high prices here and the fact that over 8 days they still failed to fix it. I gave it a poor rating for everything, but I reiterate that the staff is terrific and try hard to meet your needs. They just don't get much to work with. Finally, I would say I have stayed at this resort five times in the past, the last time about seven years ago, and it has changed enough that I would likely not return.

Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

That tram from the main hotel to the marina could use some help.
Waiting for it was the only bummer about the whole place.

The nude beach on the other side of Palomino Island didn't have any area to actually swim. Nice in the AM shadowed in the PM.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello, and thank you for your review of the resort. Our funicular can be a challenge at times, but I can assure you that the funicular is constantly monitored and evaluated for efficiency and speed of service. We have reinvested literally millions of dollars into our special transportation option that gives a certain uniqueness to the resort. We hope you are able to come back and visit again very soon.