“Some good Some bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Save Saved
You added El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort to your Saves list
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1000 El Conquistador Avenue, Fajardo 00738, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Rates from $149
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Fajardo
Lawrence, Kansas, United States
“Some good Some bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

El Conquistador is a beautiful property. My room is nice and has a great view of the golf course and the sea.The bathroom is huge. The closet is in the bathroom which I like, but might not be for all. Bed was super comfortable. Just a few oddities. The sectional has a vinyl cover, not a very inviting spot to sit. My room didn't have lotion, a room service menu or a suitcase stand. They brought them, but it took about 20-30 minutes each time.

Staff all says hello all the time. That's fine, but I'd rather have superior service than the hellos. Lots of activities. Palomino island is fun.pools are good. Other activities are much cheaper in Fajardo. Huge premium for the resort activities. i played golf. The course was in good shape, but lots of workers were sitting around the greens in carts. It didn't look like they were doing anything. I asked the cart girl for another towel because it was very muddy. She came around 5-6 times, but never brought a towel.

The biggest problem with this resort is the food. It's just not good. I had fish tacos for lunch. The fish filling was good, but. The tacos here old and stale, somewhere between hard and soft. The server asked if everything was ok. I told her the tacos were stale. She said nothing and walked away. I thought she might say something to someone, but she brought the bill no acknowledgment of bad food, no discount, no nothing. Breakfast wasn't great. The Chinese restaurant Blossoms was awful.

If you don't care about food, but are looking for a good room and good activities, this a place for you. If you like to have decent food and not have to leave the resort, not a great choice.

I might come back and spend two nights, but wouldn't be able to handle more..

P.S. My room was in building 4 near the spa. Apparently the rooms in the main building are older and not so great.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

3,840 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I went with my husband to this hotel. We were celebrating our wed anniversary. The housekeepping prepared a cacke with towels and a heart with flowers. It was a nice surprise. Also, I have beeb in other hotels at the island and this one is a little bit more expensive, but it's totally worth it. On my check in I asked how much was the ride for palomino Island (an amazing small island that is private) and they told me it was included in the hotel fees. Also the wifi and other games were included, so basically is worth it!!!! The views are amazing! It have so many things to do that is relaxing, but not boring. Definitelly will come back!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I travel for business, so I will preface this by saying we used points and miles to take myself, my wife and our 4 children, ages 7-6-3-1 along with both my parents and my in-laws on a 10 day trip to the resort.

I was in touch with the resort before our trip, and requested a room at La Marina. They were able to arrange it. All in all my dealing with the staff before my stay was outstanding.

Rooms--As I mentioned, we stayed at La Marina. It was great. From our balcony you could the ferry to the island, as well as a beautiful view of the ocean. It was outstanding. Our room was great. We had a king bed and a pull out couch, and plenty of room for our family. We were set up with an adjoining room for our parents. All in all absolutely no complaints on the rooms.

Food---I do not understand people getting on here and saying food was expensive. It is a luxury resort, of course food is going to cost you something. But I don't think it was unreasonable. You could get a burger and fries for $13, which really isn't that bad. We did the buffet breakfast every morning, which is outstanding, and then just ate dinner. All in all we ate well.

Water Park--Loved it, and so did the kids. Probably our favorite place in the resort. Because we were going for 10 days, we negotiated a all inclusive water park pass, and went 5-6 times for a few hours at a time. My kids loved it.

Pools---Again, great. No complaints at all.

Beach--I have been to numerous beaches, and this one is hard to beat. My kids loved the boat ride, and the beach was as perfect as you can imagine.

This trip was for our 10 year anniversary, so for 1 night we had the grandparents watch the kids and spent a night at Las Casitas. It was great. Amazing section of the hotel.

Honestly, I could go on and on. I want to give a big thanks to Maricely who was a great help in making this as good of a trip as I could have imagined. As I mentioned, I do not understand the negative attitude toward this place. I spent a lot of time ensuring we would have a trip of a lifetime, and we did. I will be happy to answer any questions people may have, just shoot me a note.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

The hotel itself is gorgeous, with an amazing view no matter which room you stay in. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable displaying a tropical motif. The thing about the resort is that the food and most of the amenities are not included. The food is pretty expensive if you stay in the resort the whole time. Also, there are extra fees if you want to access the water park, which frankly isn't worth it. I would recommend instead just going into the hotel pools and definitely taking advantage of the ferry that takes you to Palomino Island, where the resort's actual beach is located. I personally recommend not staying in the Hotel the whole time, and instead taking time to explore Fajardo's beaches and other local attractions.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I read all the reviews before I booked, and they vary, and they are all accurate!
Pros: Gorgeous resort with extensive amenities, a variety of rooms and rates from butler assisted LaCasitas (marketed as a separate hotel, but really right there) which approaches WA level, to garden view rooms that simply get you there.
There are several pools to choose from, there will be one fairly near your chosen wing. I found the ones we used to be clean and not overcrowded midweek in Nov.
Palomino Island is a very pleasant beach with shade available for those of us that need to hide from the sun after a bit. Lots of water sports or horseback riding activities available for a fee on Palomino. We always found chairs available, and thought the chicken salad sandwich at Iguanas to be surprisingly good.
Going to our room at the Marina was a lot like the Tripadvisor ads running now: You schlep your stuff a long way, open the door to a bland room, then fling open the drapes to the view, and you want to give the resort a full 5 stars. The ocean facing views all over the resort are magnificent. Spring for ocean views if you can. Our room was spacious; the bath area is a combined dressing area and it is also huge, if bland. Our bed was quite comfortable.
The food here was surprisingly good in our opinion! Good reviews from us for Blossoms (Chinese not Japanese menu); La Piccola Fontana, Iguanas on Palomino, which I will review separately.
Cons: Food is pricey. Close your eyes when ordering, or mix it up between low and high end venues. Breakfast at $25 each did not seem worth it to me. Café Caribe was the least rated venue both for food quality and service. Ice cream is OK there, but good luck getting those kids to ask you if you'd like some service.
Distance between points in the resort takes a lot of time to cover. It could take 15 min from our Marina room to the front desk area via the funicular and two elevators and the walk. I chose to view the funicular as a scenic enjoyable part of the journey, and to be thankful it existed!
Our bad experiences: the safe in our room was non functional. We reported it, and it took a while, so the next day, I reported it again. They fixed it right away this time.
The rooms are not soundproof, you can hear the occasional kids crying. The toilet flushed like an explosion. The room was a bland beige. Maybe that's to invoke serenity? If so, it missed the mark. I found the room to be generally quite clean except for the storage drawers in the bath dressing area. I wrote a note asking housekeeping to clean, and it was done right away.
The last "bad" comment is that they shouldn't charge extra for the water park. It's very nice to have it there and we really enjoyed the lazy river. But to charge so much for daily admittance is just wrong for a couple of slides.

I give this resort very high marks because of the wonderful relaxing time we had with overall great food, lots of available activities, overall cleanliness, a staff eager to please, and did I mention those views?

Room Tip: Watch out for Las Olas rooms that might overlook the funicular. Choose La Marina for rooms with a v...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

If you see a price quoted they don't really mean it. Read the fine print and you learn that the resort itself "taxes" you for staying there. They call it a "resort fee." I thought my nightly payment was already the resort fee. An $800 stay is really a $900 stay. Why not just publish the true price? Shame on the owners. BTW, it is also $16 a day extra for parking.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Loved it loved it loved it. Nice golf course, great food, very well priced, lovely people, lots to do or not depending on your choice. Great for adults and children alike. Well worth going to see for yourself.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family