I live in Puerto Rico and have seen the ups and downs of El Conquistador since in opened over 40 years ago. As many people have stated in the reviews, the view is breathtaking and it is definitely the highlight of the hotel. I noticed that customer service seems to have improved since my last visit and the hotel staff was attentive and friendly. From what I have read in this web site, this does not seem to be a consistent experience for all guests.
The hotel needs more maintenance. I understand that this a huge property, but there are small things that are unacceptable in a five-star hotel. The first room we were assigned on the first floor in Las Vistas, was musty. As a person raised in the tropics, we can always detect the odor of mildew. It did not smell fresh. We requested a change to a room with a king size bed and they immediately gave us a very nice room with a partial ocean view. When we entered the room, a painting was on the floor (we hung it up), the floor lamp did not have light bulb, and both the desk lamp and the floor lamp had rust. The lock on our door broke twice, but security came fairly quickly to open the door. Again, not acceptable for a five star hotel. On a positive note, the king-size bed was very comfortable and the room was cleaned consistently well. No complains there.
The lack of proper maintenance is visible throughout the hotel and definitely this aspect of the hotel has deteriorated since my last visit two years ago. Some areas need paint, the funicular is very noisy (it did not use to be that way), and the buttons on the elevator to the funicular do not light up.
We were at a Convention with meals included. The quality of food was okay, but to be expected when dealing with such a large group. The Conquistador has never been my favorite hotel in Puerto Rico. For the prices you pay at this hotel, you should expect and receive red carpet treatment. This has never been the case. It also concerns me that management does not even attempt to answer or address the concerns of Tripadvisor reviewers - certainly not in line with the reputation of excellence of the Waldorf Astoria chain.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award-winning oceanfront resort perched atop cliff, overlooking Caribbean Sea on one side & Atlantic Ocean on the other. Check out the dramatic views, the private island or the brand new water park - it's all part of this Caribbean paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Tingo, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, HotelsClick and Venere so you can book your El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Conquistador Resort, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Fajardo
- Waldorf Astoria Fajardo
- El Conquistador Hotel Puerto Rico
- Conquistador Hotel Puerto Rico
- El Conquistador Puerto Rico
- El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort Puerto Rico/Fajardo