“The devil is in the details” 3 of 5 stars
Review of El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Save Saved
You added El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort to your Saves list
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1000 El Conquistador Avenue, Fajardo 00738, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Complimentary Night
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fajardo
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“The devil is in the details”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I live in Puerto Rico and have seen the ups and downs of El Conquistador since in opened over 40 years ago. As many people have stated in the reviews, the view is breathtaking and it is definitely the highlight of the hotel. I noticed that customer service seems to have improved since my last visit and the hotel staff was attentive and friendly. From what I have read in this web site, this does not seem to be a consistent experience for all guests.

The hotel needs more maintenance. I understand that this a huge property, but there are small things that are unacceptable in a five-star hotel. The first room we were assigned on the first floor in Las Vistas, was musty. As a person raised in the tropics, we can always detect the odor of mildew. It did not smell fresh. We requested a change to a room with a king size bed and they immediately gave us a very nice room with a partial ocean view. When we entered the room, a painting was on the floor (we hung it up), the floor lamp did not have light bulb, and both the desk lamp and the floor lamp had rust. The lock on our door broke twice, but security came fairly quickly to open the door. Again, not acceptable for a five star hotel. On a positive note, the king-size bed was very comfortable and the room was cleaned consistently well. No complains there.

The lack of proper maintenance is visible throughout the hotel and definitely this aspect of the hotel has deteriorated since my last visit two years ago. Some areas need paint, the funicular is very noisy (it did not use to be that way), and the buttons on the elevator to the funicular do not light up.

We were at a Convention with meals included. The quality of food was okay, but to be expected when dealing with such a large group. The Conquistador has never been my favorite hotel in Puerto Rico. For the prices you pay at this hotel, you should expect and receive red carpet treatment. This has never been the case. It also concerns me that management does not even attempt to answer or address the concerns of Tripadvisor reviewers - certainly not in line with the reputation of excellence of the Waldorf Astoria chain.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Fel93, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We appreciate your candid feedback as it allows us to identify areas of opportunity. The resort is currently working on enhancements throughout the resort public areas including painting, funicular work, etc. We appreciate your acknowledgment of the warm hospitality you experienced from our staff during your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (937)
  • Polish first
Leesburg, VA, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This resort is a lovely place to stay--so much to do, breath taking views and very friendly staff! We took several tours during our stay and had a wonderful experience with each one. Highly recommend the Biolumescent Bay tour and the hike in the El Yunque Rainforest!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Fel93, Public Relations Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are delighted to see you had such a wonderful experience during your stay and were able to enjoy the various amenities at the resort. We are glad you also enjoyed your tours to the biobay and the rainforest. We hope to see you soon during your next visit to Puerto Rico.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I stay in Puerto Rico quite frequently and was looking forward to exploring a different property. The grounds are beautiful and the property is lovely, but the staff is rude and inattentive in contrast to some of the wonderful and warm service I have received elsewhere in Puerto Rico. The bar staff at Don Q on Palimino Island is awful.

The one upside to El Conquistador is the lovely Palamino island and its proximity to Vieques and Culebra.

There are also some great authentic restaurants off the resort.

• Stayed August 2013
Thanks for sharing your feedback during your stay with us. We appreciate your candid comments at they help us identify areas of opportunity for the future. Your comments have been reviewed by our management team and have been addressed accordingly. We are happy to see that you enjoyed the beauty of Palomino during your stay.
Tacoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

The staff was fantastic, but the real reason to go to this hotel is the view! The hotel has its own island that you can travel to and from for free. The rooms are very clean and huge. The three pools provide plenty of room for everybody. Great experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Robert - thanks for taking the time to share your review. We are pleased that you had such a great experience at the resort and that you were able to enjoy the many resort amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest during your next trip to PR.
Jupiter, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

When I book a room at a 5 star rated hotel, I expect to receive 5 star service. What I received at this resort was more like a 2 and I believe that I am being generous with that rating. There was a strange odor to the rooms as well as evidence of mildew on the walls and carpets. Make sure that you pay close attention to your hotel account, because I found erroneous charges to my account. They even charged my card for good/services that I didn't use long after I had checked out of the resort! And to top it all off the staff were just plain rude. Don't even waste your time inquiring about this resort, there are far better places to stay in PR.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fel93, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We apologize that there was any additional charges that you did not expect. We assure you that we never want to mislead our guests in any way and we sincerely apologize if the charges were not clear. Our guests’ satisfaction is very important to us and because of this the resort is working diligently on enhancements to public areas. With this said, we assure you that we have taken your comments into consideration and they have been internally discussed with our management team to ensure we provide our guests with the best experience possible.
Chicopee, MA, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The hotel offers beautiful views and ammenities however the staff customer service (especially those at the check-out desk) is hit or miss. If you have an early departure, expect a hassle if you request a late check-out. Also, don't expect your room to be serviced daily. And expect to feel disappointed when you leave...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Thank you for sharing your review. We appreciate your candid feedback as we use it to help identify areas of opportunity. Your comments have been reviewed and discussed with our team for immediate action.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went there to get married in August. I started planning the stay back in may while I was in Afghanistan so everything was being done by email. The wedding coordinator understood our request and came up with a great quote for our small ceremony. We signed contracts and sent pictures of credit cards to secure the contracts and the hotel worked with us. I read a lot of reviews an was concerned about the quality of the resort and hotel. Upon arrival we saw lines of busses and hundreds of people and we were very concerned that this was going to be awful. I inquired about this at check in and was informed that he governor held a convention and everyone was leaving. Check in was not a huge wait and we were impressed by the size of the resort. The lounge area was always clean the pools were awesome and clean. We had our ceremony on a Wednesday and it was perfect. The room was good. I could see some areas that could use updating but at the price we paid for our room it is easily over looked. The sliding doors are heavy but if you understand the weather patterns in PR you understand why. We had a driver to get our marriage license named Pedro who was great, translated for us and got us to the front of the line. He also took us to the local super market. Although we had rented a car it was more than what the guy needed to do. Service was great. Everything we asked for we got. The negatives. The flower shop was not used to talking to customers as I was told over the phone by one of their representatives. Struck me as crazy as I like to know who I am dealing with. So that made things challenging but they came through. Trying to rent a tux was not really an easy task. Both of these really do not reflect on the hotel. The water resistant cushions on the chase lounge were not the greatest however when a drink was spilt n them I understood. Could use something in areas but it gives it a rustic old feels. If you ever have staid at the Hawaiian prince you kind of get the same feel. The wife and I loved it. It's a water front resort with a private island and great views. It is not a New York, Chicago or LA Waldorf. But they not have a private island with a free ferry.
On to food. We ate at chops, blooms and the cafe by the pool. We had our resection dinner ate chops and the food was good. Great size portions. My wife's fillet was huge and so was our friends. My rib eye was cooked to order and was great. Blossoms did not disappoint as we ate hibachi. Pretty standard. The cafe had great pizza, and we are New Yorkers. The plantains cups with shredded pork were also a favorite. I had the dorado and it was cooked well. The golf course was challenging. I play the front 9. However I ave played a total of 9 rounds of golf with this being my tenth. I shot a 15 on hole 4. So I my not be a credible critic. So I feel that pretty much covers our stay without totally reliving it. Hope this helps

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt,

Thanks for taking the time to share your review. We appreciate the time you took to write a detailed review on your stay. We are happy that you and your wife had a memorable wedding at the resort and were also able to enjoy the many on-site amenities from the pool, restaurants and Palomino. Thank you for acknowledging the warm hospitality you experienced by our associates. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.