“A 5 star Hotel... Really?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Save Saved
You added El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort to your Saves list
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1000 El Conquistador Avenue, Fajardo 00738, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Rates from $149
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Fajardo
Jupiter, Florida
“A 5 star Hotel... Really?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

When I book a room at a 5 star rated hotel, I expect to receive 5 star service. What I received at this resort was more like a 2 and I believe that I am being generous with that rating. There was a strange odor to the rooms as well as evidence of mildew on the walls and carpets. Make sure that you pay close attention to your hotel account, because I found erroneous charges to my account. They even charged my card for good/services that I didn't use long after I had checked out of the resort! And to top it all off the staff were just plain rude. Don't even waste your time inquiring about this resort, there are far better places to stay in PR.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fel93, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We apologize that there was any additional charges that you did not expect. We assure you that we never want to mislead our guests in any way and we sincerely apologize if the charges were not clear. Our guests’ satisfaction is very important to us and because of this the resort is working diligently on enhancements to public areas. With this said, we assure you that we have taken your comments into consideration and they have been internally discussed with our management team to ensure we provide our guests with the best experience possible.

3,840 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
  • Polish first
Chicopee, MA, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The hotel offers beautiful views and ammenities however the staff customer service (especially those at the check-out desk) is hit or miss. If you have an early departure, expect a hassle if you request a late check-out. Also, don't expect your room to be serviced daily. And expect to feel disappointed when you leave...

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Thank you for sharing your review. We appreciate your candid feedback as we use it to help identify areas of opportunity. Your comments have been reviewed and discussed with our team for immediate action.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went there to get married in August. I started planning the stay back in may while I was in Afghanistan so everything was being done by email. The wedding coordinator understood our request and came up with a great quote for our small ceremony. We signed contracts and sent pictures of credit cards to secure the contracts and the hotel worked with us. I read a lot of reviews an was concerned about the quality of the resort and hotel. Upon arrival we saw lines of busses and hundreds of people and we were very concerned that this was going to be awful. I inquired about this at check in and was informed that he governor held a convention and everyone was leaving. Check in was not a huge wait and we were impressed by the size of the resort. The lounge area was always clean the pools were awesome and clean. We had our ceremony on a Wednesday and it was perfect. The room was good. I could see some areas that could use updating but at the price we paid for our room it is easily over looked. The sliding doors are heavy but if you understand the weather patterns in PR you understand why. We had a driver to get our marriage license named Pedro who was great, translated for us and got us to the front of the line. He also took us to the local super market. Although we had rented a car it was more than what the guy needed to do. Service was great. Everything we asked for we got. The negatives. The flower shop was not used to talking to customers as I was told over the phone by one of their representatives. Struck me as crazy as I like to know who I am dealing with. So that made things challenging but they came through. Trying to rent a tux was not really an easy task. Both of these really do not reflect on the hotel. The water resistant cushions on the chase lounge were not the greatest however when a drink was spilt n them I understood. Could use something in areas but it gives it a rustic old feels. If you ever have staid at the Hawaiian prince you kind of get the same feel. The wife and I loved it. It's a water front resort with a private island and great views. It is not a New York, Chicago or LA Waldorf. But they not have a private island with a free ferry.
On to food. We ate at chops, blooms and the cafe by the pool. We had our resection dinner ate chops and the food was good. Great size portions. My wife's fillet was huge and so was our friends. My rib eye was cooked to order and was great. Blossoms did not disappoint as we ate hibachi. Pretty standard. The cafe had great pizza, and we are New Yorkers. The plantains cups with shredded pork were also a favorite. I had the dorado and it was cooked well. The golf course was challenging. I play the front 9. However I ave played a total of 9 rounds of golf with this being my tenth. I shot a 15 on hole 4. So I my not be a credible critic. So I feel that pretty much covers our stay without totally reliving it. Hope this helps

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Matt,

Thanks for taking the time to share your review. We appreciate the time you took to write a detailed review on your stay. We are happy that you and your wife had a memorable wedding at the resort and were also able to enjoy the many on-site amenities from the pool, restaurants and Palomino. Thank you for acknowledging the warm hospitality you experienced by our associates. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
NY, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We has a great time with kids, we loved the private beach and pools. The restaurants, although expensive, were delicious, especially the Italian and the breakfast buffet. Great value for this time of year.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Jeffrey - thank you for sharing your review with us. We are pleased to see that you and your family enjoyed your time with us in Puerto Rico. We are happy that you were able to enjoy our on-site amenities including the pools and Palomino. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hotel is fabulous, stayed in the villas down by the Marina with the millionaire yachts and the Manatees! Then there is the private Palomino island just a 10 minute boat trip away with watersports in the crystal clear water, beach volley ball etc or just laze around and drink and eat. Take the funicular cable car up to the main hotel in the evening to eat drink and gamble the night away. The Puerto Rican people are fabulous too!

Room Tip: The Marina location is quiet if that is what you want or the main hotel if you want bustle.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your review with us. We are happy to see you had such a wonderful experience at the resort during your past stay with us. We hope to have you as our guest again when your travels bring you back to PR.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Excellent Hotel! Excellent Staff! They make us feel like home,only thing is that food is very expensive and the entrance to the waterpark is not included, and us being a family of 5,that's a turnoff buy definitely going back next year. Hoping that they included kid breakfats with the purchase of the adult one

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Thanks for taking the time to share your review. We are delighted to see you had a wonderful experience with your family during your stay with us. The resort does offer a package that includes tickets to the water park which is available throughout the year - the Coqui Water Park package. Thank you for acknowledging the warm hospitality you experienced - we look forward to your next stay with us.
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

i don t understand a lot of the low rankings for this hotel - my and my wife go to Puerto Rico often for business and we had stayed at many places - we think this is the best one for the value. of course, there are improvement opportunities - but for what you pay - how does it get any better than El Conq.? rooms are great - clean, nicely done, there is an amazing island across the hotel with ferry service, and a 20 min swimming distance to the island, there is an amazing mini island with picture perfect water. on the bigger island, you can also hike. great snorkeling. the hotel food overall is not the best - big Achilles heel there - but there are nice restaurants close by.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments and are happy to hear you had such a delightful time during your past stay with us. With a new Executive Chef we are looking forward to the wonderful additions to our food and beverage offerings. The resort is also working on enhancements in public areas. We hope to have you back as our guest again soon.