“It was a great experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Save Saved
You added El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort to your Saves list
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1000 El Conquistador Avenue, Fajardo 00738, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Rates from $149
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Fajardo
“It was a great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went there to get married in August. I started planning the stay back in may while I was in Afghanistan so everything was being done by email. The wedding coordinator understood our request and came up with a great quote for our small ceremony. We signed contracts and sent pictures of credit cards to secure the contracts and the hotel worked with us. I read a lot of reviews an was concerned about the quality of the resort and hotel. Upon arrival we saw lines of busses and hundreds of people and we were very concerned that this was going to be awful. I inquired about this at check in and was informed that he governor held a convention and everyone was leaving. Check in was not a huge wait and we were impressed by the size of the resort. The lounge area was always clean the pools were awesome and clean. We had our ceremony on a Wednesday and it was perfect. The room was good. I could see some areas that could use updating but at the price we paid for our room it is easily over looked. The sliding doors are heavy but if you understand the weather patterns in PR you understand why. We had a driver to get our marriage license named Pedro who was great, translated for us and got us to the front of the line. He also took us to the local super market. Although we had rented a car it was more than what the guy needed to do. Service was great. Everything we asked for we got. The negatives. The flower shop was not used to talking to customers as I was told over the phone by one of their representatives. Struck me as crazy as I like to know who I am dealing with. So that made things challenging but they came through. Trying to rent a tux was not really an easy task. Both of these really do not reflect on the hotel. The water resistant cushions on the chase lounge were not the greatest however when a drink was spilt n them I understood. Could use something in areas but it gives it a rustic old feels. If you ever have staid at the Hawaiian prince you kind of get the same feel. The wife and I loved it. It's a water front resort with a private island and great views. It is not a New York, Chicago or LA Waldorf. But they not have a private island with a free ferry.
On to food. We ate at chops, blooms and the cafe by the pool. We had our resection dinner ate chops and the food was good. Great size portions. My wife's fillet was huge and so was our friends. My rib eye was cooked to order and was great. Blossoms did not disappoint as we ate hibachi. Pretty standard. The cafe had great pizza, and we are New Yorkers. The plantains cups with shredded pork were also a favorite. I had the dorado and it was cooked well. The golf course was challenging. I play the front 9. However I ave played a total of 9 rounds of golf with this being my tenth. I shot a 15 on hole 4. So I my not be a credible critic. So I feel that pretty much covers our stay without totally reliving it. Hope this helps

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Fel93, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Matt,

Thanks for taking the time to share your review. We appreciate the time you took to write a detailed review on your stay. We are happy that you and your wife had a memorable wedding at the resort and were also able to enjoy the many on-site amenities from the pool, restaurants and Palomino. Thank you for acknowledging the warm hospitality you experienced by our associates. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

3,908 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (861)
  • Polish first
NY, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We has a great time with kids, we loved the private beach and pools. The restaurants, although expensive, were delicious, especially the Italian and the breakfast buffet. Great value for this time of year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Jeffrey - thank you for sharing your review with us. We are pleased to see that you and your family enjoyed your time with us in Puerto Rico. We are happy that you were able to enjoy our on-site amenities including the pools and Palomino. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hotel is fabulous, stayed in the villas down by the Marina with the millionaire yachts and the Manatees! Then there is the private Palomino island just a 10 minute boat trip away with watersports in the crystal clear water, beach volley ball etc or just laze around and drink and eat. Take the funicular cable car up to the main hotel in the evening to eat drink and gamble the night away. The Puerto Rican people are fabulous too!

Room Tip: The Marina location is quiet if that is what you want or the main hotel if you want bustle.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your review with us. We are happy to see you had such a wonderful experience at the resort during your past stay with us. We hope to have you as our guest again when your travels bring you back to PR.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Excellent Hotel! Excellent Staff! They make us feel like home,only thing is that food is very expensive and the entrance to the waterpark is not included, and us being a family of 5,that's a turnoff buy definitely going back next year. Hoping that they included kid breakfats with the purchase of the adult one

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Thanks for taking the time to share your review. We are delighted to see you had a wonderful experience with your family during your stay with us. The resort does offer a package that includes tickets to the water park which is available throughout the year - the Coqui Water Park package. Thank you for acknowledging the warm hospitality you experienced - we look forward to your next stay with us.
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

i don t understand a lot of the low rankings for this hotel - my and my wife go to Puerto Rico often for business and we had stayed at many places - we think this is the best one for the value. of course, there are improvement opportunities - but for what you pay - how does it get any better than El Conq.? rooms are great - clean, nicely done, there is an amazing island across the hotel with ferry service, and a 20 min swimming distance to the island, there is an amazing mini island with picture perfect water. on the bigger island, you can also hike. great snorkeling. the hotel food overall is not the best - big Achilles heel there - but there are nice restaurants close by.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments and are happy to hear you had such a delightful time during your past stay with us. With a new Executive Chef we are looking forward to the wonderful additions to our food and beverage offerings. The resort is also working on enhancements in public areas. We hope to have you back as our guest again soon.
Cranston, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This property is absolutely wonderful. I was a little apprehensive when booking as I have a toddler and it seemed like a lot of walking, however our room was very close to the elevators, Starbucks, and some restaurants.
Upon arrival you are overcome by the breathtaking panoramic view.
The pool area has enough to spend the whole day, and the private island is so peaceful and pristine. Lunch on palomino was great, and the stingray cafe was great. The family style restaurant is awful! I'm sorry I cannot remember the name of it, but it was TV dinner style food.
We rented a car and there are plenty of restaurants around the El con to explore.
All in all a great stay and we would return.

Room Tip: Starbucks has great options for an inexpensive breakfast. We stocked up on liquor and snacks at Wal...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your feedback. We are delighted to see that you and your family had a wonderful time during your stay with us. We are happy to see that you were able to enjoy the many on-site amenities such as the pools and Palomino Island.
Treasure Coast, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Driving in from the highway, the grounds look beautiful. The day we checked in, they were especially busy and the lobby was packed. Also poorly managed. It took close two hours to check in and even then, the adjoining room for our kids was not ready. Understandable. We were told we would be called when that room was ready.

Our main suite felt dirty and dingy. There was some leftover trash on our balcony. The suite had a great closet though and we had a fantastic view from our room.

We went down to the small water park that is on site. It's nice. Kids loved it. It has a little of everything and a nice vibe.

Don't get mad, but I'll say it: Service in Puerto Rico is generally rude. Love that place, but that is the way it is. That being said, I wasn't surprised when we went back up to our room at dinner time and still no call or message about our keys for the attached room. I made four calls to the front desk over the next two hours. Not badgering, just stating that I was told the keys were on their way but I hadn't seen anyone. Each time I was told that someone was coming up to the room with our keys. Approaching 9pm, I wanted to put my kids to bed. I went down to the front desk. There was not a customer in sight, rather about 15 employees milling about behind the front desk and they were not helpful and were a tad on the condescending side. Either way, I got the keys to our second room. My point: Our second room was not ready and I totally understand that those things happen. But telling me you will deliver my keys, then don't, then ignore a few phone requests to have them sent up, then act put off when I come to get them myself? Nonsense. Do what you say you will do. And if you can't keep your word? Stuff your attitude along with your work.

Spa: Also a little dated, dingy and musty feeling. An employee came in with her toddler part way through my treatment and visited with my technician for a solid 30 minutes during my time there. I didn't really mind, everyone was sweet, but it was awkward. I didn't bring my own kids with me for those two hours.

Gift shops: Fantastic. They have a ridiculous number of shops on site. Tons of fun stuff. I am not a shopper but I shopped this joint.

Casino: Shut down! Super disappointed that there was no blackjack after the kids hit the sack. The space is an odd conglomeration of games and things.

Restaurants: I love Puerto Rican food. The menus at this resort looked like American Sports Bar-fare. We ventured off site for the good stuff. Overall: Not what you'd expect from a Waldorf. Also, not the best experience you could have in Puerto Rico. Many other options for similar money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your candid comments as it allows us to identify areas of opportunity. Your comments have been reviewed by our management team for immediate action. It is our goal to make a memorable experience for all of our guests and we apologize that there were some items in which we did not meet your expectations. We are happy to see that you enjoyed the on-site amenities and that your children had fun at the water park. Thanks again for your comments.