“Fun in the sun” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Save Saved
You added El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort to your Saves list
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1000 El Conquistador Avenue, Fajardo 00738, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Rates from $149
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Fajardo
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Fun in the sun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

The highlight of my stay was the service I got at check in. Eliezer was a delight and thanks to his attention and service my vacation started of wonderful. This resort has definitely a lot to offer but theres definitely pros and cons.
Pros:
1-great customer service as demonstrated by Eliezer at the hilton honors check in
2- different dinning options (although expensive)
3- fun stuff to do (water park, private island, tour areas close by)
4- large rooms

Cons:
1- outdated rooms and sorroundings
2- many unused spaces made parts look abandoned
8- no express check out, not even for honor members
9- dirty towels in the bathroom
10- small tv
11- comfortable bed but small pillows
12- terrible wifi service! (Totally unaceptable)

3,842 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (844)
  • Polish first
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is long, here’s a summary : Great views, okay rooms, terrible food, terrible, terrible, terrible service.

I'd never spent time at a resort like El Conquistador before, perhaps my expectations were too big. I thought I would experience excellent service, eat a few delicious meals, and be amazed by how great the place was. This was not how it went down. From the time I arrived I hated the place, and it never got better. When I pulled up to the rotunda, there were about 30-40 cars waiting for valet service. I pulled to the side an parked, and went inside to check in. There I found a MASSIVE line, I waited for OVER AN HOUR to check in, when I finally reached the counter, the girl who helped me was unapologetic, I mentioned that I waited over an hour and she offered an insincere apology, I asked to speak with a manager, she walked me through my check-in and never called the manager, at this point I decided to wait and call corporate, because this was clearly a scheduling problem, and the fault of the manager.
Once checked in, I returned to the car and went to find parking, which was about a quarter of a mile away, we parked and were given a ticket and told that parking was $15 a day, and to make sure you got your ticket validate before you left. Okay, this is a sprawling place, I’m paying $200 a night for a room, plus a $40 “resort fee”, why must I pay for parking too? This does not bode well. The first shuttle van didn’t have room for luggage, so we got on the second one and went to find our room.

The room was mostly fine, a bit dated, but clean and spacious with a wonderful view. Two locks on our door were broken, the latch was fractured at the wall, as if it had been kicked in, and the tumbler lock was hanging out of the door, they keycard seemed to work okay though. There was also bunch of debris on the floor outside of our room, it seemed to grow as the weekend went on.

Now, let’s get something to eat. There were a number of restaurants in the resort. Ranging from a cafeteria to some “fine dining” establishments, I found the food to be sub-par and outrageously over-priced. The service was HORRIFIC, you can feel the contempt of most of the staff, no one was warm or welcoming, you feel like an annoyance.
The next night we opted to get a pizza, because the food was so terrible and overpriced. They don’t really want you to do that. We were told that they will not let the pizza delivery guy in the gate (which is 2 miles down the road), but they would let a taxi in. you could then have the pizza guy call you when he was close, then call a taxi and take a taxi 2 miles to the gate to meet the pizza guy and get your pizzas. There were no taxis available. We had to bribe some staff to take us down in their private vehicles to pick up the pizza. The pizza was bad, but it was the best meal of my stay there.

The pools were VERY nice, the swim up bar was great, the drinks weren’t too outrageous at $10 each. We decided to go to the beach, which involves a tram ride down the cliff, the operator was the nicest staff member we encountered, then you stand in a line and wait for a boat to take you to the island. The boat runs from 9am to 5:30pm. Want a late night walk on the beach with your sweetie? Too bad. Want to watch the sunset from the sand? Too bad. Want to take the kids out to hunt for crabs at night? Too bad. The boat also smelled terrible.

Finally the time to check-out came and I went down to the lobby, the line WAS TWICE AS LONG as when I came to check-in, and that took an hour. I reluctantly used the “express check-out” option (where they email you your receipt) and went to the valet stand to get my parking validated. I waited in line and when I was served they informed me that I needed my receipt! I informed them that I had used the “express check out” and they told me I could get it from the concierge. I went there, waited in line, got my receipt, waited in line at the valet and paid my $32 for two nights of parking and got the hell out of there!

If you like standing in line, terrible food, and awful service; this is your place.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

When we first arrived on July 13 2013 we were not very impressed. We had a long wait to get our room and only 3 people were in front of us. The room was not as we had thought, it was very dated like from the 70's but very large and a nice view of the ocean. This hotel is in Fajardo which is about 45 min from Old San Juan but very manageable is you rent a car. What was very impressive about this hotel was the twice a day room service which only took a very short time but very efficient. The beach is only reached by ferry which takes a while to get to and over, so plan on spending the day if you go.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Marina Village which was perfect for us since we have 3 kids under the age of 8. The Marina is located next door to the water park and the ferry that takes you to the beautiful private each of Palomina Island.

The resort itself is really nice and you will enjoy spectacular views from any location in the resort.

Our room in La Marina was spacious, clean and the service was impressive. Whenever we called the front desk (extra towels, laundry bag) they were at our door in less than 3 minutes. There was always a follow up call to ensure we received what we requested.

The pools are well maintained and there are plenty to choose from.

There are a number of restaurants on sight from quick grab and go, to casual dining, to fine dining. We were satisfied with all of the restaurants we ate in.

The hotel could use a bigger arcade room and some night time activities but other than that were extremely pleased and will return again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

El Conquistador sits majestically on the cliffs of the north side of the island giving way to beautiful views of the sun rising, the many relaxing terraces and gorgeous swimming pools. A well planned day will allow you to take advantage of the unique places and amenities offered, including the semiprivate and fairly secluded island only accessible by short ferry ride. With guests only on the island we were able to quietly enjoy the white sand beaches, dine al fresco, spot an native iguana and relax in the clearest blue waters I have ever had the pleasure of swimming in. While we did not join the games (beach volley ball, lawn games, horseback riding, etc) there was plenty to explore both in and out of the water. Had I brought snorkeling gear it would have been that much more amazing to walk among the reefs.

While there my friend and I were able to train every morning in the gym via a beautiful walk through the gardens leading to the spa. The gym is sufficiently equipped to service a full workout while on vacation. Some of the machines are dated but that is to be expected when traveling away from home.

Each day we planned one major event such as a trek to the rain forest guided by a very knowledgeable and entertaining tour guide, an island adventure to Palomino, an awesome treatment package at the spa and lunch at the water park. The hotel removed the casino from the main level and replaced it with a game-room which creates a more family friendly environment. The weather was picturesque from early morning to late evening. There were many opportunities to relax in the open swimming pools, jacuzzis and even managed to get some lap swimming done as well. With so many enjoying the pools there was an occasional wait for towels but the staff was exceedingly pleasant and efficient, given the volume of guests needing attention.

Our favorite casual dinning by the pool spot was at the Belle Vista where we had the good fortune to meet Ivan, a polite young man who quickly became our requested server. We were exceedingly impressed by his personableness and professionalism as he took great care to see that our meals and experience were exceptional. It was a pleasure to meet Ivan and we feel he is an exemplary credit to the El Conquistador. The entire staff was very friendly and pleasant. We encountered severs, maintenance technicians and bar tenders - everyone of them and so many others in-between who were eager to help tend to our needs, were cheerful in their greetings, patient with my broken Spanish, and genuinely respectful of our presence on their island.

We were delighted to stay in such a beautiful place with so manly people. We are looking forward to a return trip filled with more adventures to create more fantastic memories.

San Juan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife and daugther. Also my brother and family. We had 3 rooms. This is our second time on a 2 years span. Even thought this is not the most luxurious hotel in Puerto Rico, no other hotel has the views this one has. The property is big and has very nice pools. The location is greate. Real close from rain forest and cllse to the ferry to culebra and vieques. Because of the size manteinace of facilities could be an issue. Service staff, just ok. Check-in line, 50 minutes. Not good. If you are on vacation, you don't want to spendtime in line. Ferry to Palomino, big plus!!

• Stayed July 2013
North Caldwell, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My family and I (3 teenage daughters and hubby) just returned from 6 days at El Conquistador. Our feedback is mixed but overall, it was a very good experience. First, the bad news. This property needs some attention. There are cracked tiles and water damage throughout the resort. The rooms have bleached wood decor a la 1980's. It's time for a face lift! Also, there are some inconveniences related to the tram and shuttle boat rides -- long lines, cutting on lines, lots of waiting around in the heat. The management could easily address these issues to make these situations more tolerable for guests. There should be monitors to deal with the waiting guests and snacks or water at the lines...perhaps even entertainment to make these waits a bit more pleasant. Sure prices thorughout the resort are high, but that should be expected. NOT A SHOCK, PEOPLE!!!! Now, the good news: We were upgraded to some awesome ocean view rooms with balconies. YIPPEE!!! Also, this location is spectacular. The views are amazing from the pools and the bluffs. The beach at Palomino Island is really breathtaking and there's so much fun to be had there. The cafe has a nice menu, be it limited. Fun little bars abound and there are plenty of water sports to enjoy. My advice: If you are an uptight traveler, one who wants ONLY the best, or if you need instant gratification, this is not the place for you. But if you want to see some beautiful scenery, a breathtaking beach and pools all at a full service resort, give EC a try. We rented a car and stopped at Walmart for drinks, snacks and breakfast goodies. Had a few dinners at some nice local restaurants, too. This was more economical for us and also allowed us to leave the resort for a more authentic experience. Driving around PR is like driving in Florida. NOT 3rd world, like some other caribbean destinations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family